Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drive: Boxster S vs. M Roadster vs. Z4 3.0i (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive: Boxster S vs. M Roadster vs. Z4 3.0i (long)

<<I feel like a loser... I posted this in the 986 forum vs. the 987...>>>

So anyway, I did test drive the Boxster S, M Roadster and my Z4 3.0i back to back to back on the same road test with slaloms and acceleration tests (even uphill acceleration)... My impressions? Here you go...

ACCELERATION
M Roadster wins this hands down with no surprises. But I'm a little disappointed in the sound. Believe it or not, my Z4 sounded BETTER under full acceleration than the M Roadster. What's up with that? On a normal day to day cruising (shifting within 2.5k to 3.5k), I thought that both cars felt very similar. In day to day driving, I actually prefer my Z4 due to the sound. The M Roadster pulls the same exact way (due to flat torque curve) to redline as my Z4 - but harder. Again, no surprise there.

The 987 Boxster S like the previous generation Boxster S I had driven, felt SLOW in the day to day driving. Where it is or not is irrelevant. It “felt” slow when shifting between 2.5k to 3.5k rpms. I believe this may be due to the torque dip as shown in their dyno plots. The BMW engines have no such dip and they feel smooth throughout the entire rpm range. In fact, the M Roadster engine (330hp, 262 tq) makes the Boxster S’s max torque (236 ft-lbs) at about 2500 rpms! My Z4 3.0i (225 hp, 215 tq) makes the same torque as the Boxster S in the lower rpms, but my Z4 feels like it pulls harder in the lower rpms. When revving past 4k rpms, the Boxster S feels and sounds like a monster. You get the feeling like it pulls and pulls and pulls and it’s just not going to stop! Mind you, the M Roadster may have been faster with the clock, but the whole experience with the sound was better in the Boxster S, in my opinion. The Boxster S weighs less, so the actual timed difference between the two may be splitting hairs. The M Roadster’s sound was disappointing.

SLALOM / TURNS / ROADHOLDING
The M Roadster felt a lot more stable than my Z4. This is probably due to the non-run flats in the M. While doing slaloms, you could feel the weight of the M Roadster when compared to my Z4. Believe it or not, on a smooth surface, my Z4 actually felt BETTER than the M Roadster. But once the road imperfections come into place, my Z4 started getting “darty” due to the run flat tires. My Z4 suspension also felt stiffer than the M Roadster.

The Boxster S really shined in the slaloms. I didn’t think I would be able to appreciate the difference, but driving the cars back to back to back really pointed out a lot of things… Mainly, the M Roadster and Z4 are way behind in steering feel. The Boxster S felt THAT good. It was significantly more confidence inspiring than either BMW’s. In fact, it felt like a heavier Miata – my all time favorite handling/fun car. Of course, the Boxster S is light years more refined than the Miata. But I’ve owned a Miata and it still breaks my heart when it left my hands.

The Boxster S’s road handling was firm, but compliant. I can’t fully describe it, but it just felt better than either the M or my current Z4. The test drive was on the same roads so I was really looking for the difference among the three cars.

BRAKING
The M Roadster has massive cross drilled rotors as does the Boxster S. Both of them felt really good. But I would give the Boxster S the slight edge in feel. I’m sure both would have similar stopping ability, but the Boxster S’s felt better.

INTERIOR
The M Roadster’s fat steering wheel was really, really nice. It felt like one of those “squeeze *****” and it made you want to grip it over and over. It felt therapeutic! The M seats were really nice as well. The side bolsters kept you in place and this was really lacking in my Z4. The shifter felt great – exactly as my Z4. All else was exactly the same as my Z4. The sport button response was the same. I really like the on/off sport button in that it made “tooling around” much easier with the lighter steering feel when off. Call me lazy, but sometimes I just don’t feel like putting both hands on the steering wheel and I just want to use 1 finger to steer. Of course, this is not possible with the Boxster S.

The Boxster S steering required both hands to steer. It’s not light in any manner. Although the shifter of the Boxster S was good, it was slightly less smooth than my Z4 and M Roadster. The standard seats are not as good as the M Roadster’s, but are still better than my Z4. The rest of the interior of the Boxster S is awesome. It’s more suited to my taste than the M or my Z4.

STEREO
No contest. The Boxster S stereo with/without Bose is an absolute joke compared to the HK/Carver system in the M Roadster and my Z4. Bose should be ashamed. I don’t care if Porsche spec’ed out the stereo and Bose simply “gave them what they wanted”. Bose has a reputation to uphold and they should recall all the Bose stereos in the Boxsters… Please, no comments about “it’s a convertible and the sound is compromised to begin with” yada yada yada yada. When I’m sitting in a parking lot or sitting in traffic, I want to be able to appreciate my music.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
There are no fog lights in the M Roadster. What’s up with that? Further, to add insult to injury, I looked at where the air vents (the previous location of the fog lights) were pointing to. Looking through the vents, you will see that they point to the tires and not the brakes!!! This is ridiculous. The vents on my 1999 M3 point to the brakes where they are supposed to. The only way I could see those air vents cooling the brakes is when you are turning left or right. Maybe they are not supposed to cool the brakes? Then give me my fog lights back!!! I saw no such nonsense in the Boxster S.

The trunk of the M Roadster is compromised due to the battery and air pump. Still, I was able to fit my “roll-aboard” suitcase right next to it such that I could still fit two roll-aboard suitcases. The Boxster S still has more trunk space.

I can’t order the M Roadster with an all “beige” interior! Also, the “Imola Red” exterior is too dark for me. I like the “Bright Red” of my Z4 and the “Guards Red” of the Boxster S. I see that the regular Z4 can still be ordered with a full beige interior (beige mats, carpet, footwells, door trim, etc.). On the M Roadster, if you order the “full leather” option, only the center tunnel is the same color as the seats. The carpet, footwells, door trims, etc. are still black. Yuck.

LOOKS
You know, I’ve always liked the Z4 body style. It just looks good to me from every angle. I love the uniqueness of it. The dual exhaust on the M even looks better. People who used to bash it, give me credit once they actually see it in person. I’ve always bashed the looks of the Boxster ever since it came out – joking that I never knew if it’s coming or going since the front looked like the back. In Guards Red with the Carrera S wheels, it looks good…

So between the M Roadster and the Boxster S, these are what I liked:
M Roadster: seats, steering wheel, engine, looks, sport button, stereo, price
Boxster S: engine sound, steering feel, suspension, brakes, interior, luggage space, color combinations

So what am I ordering? I’m going with the Boxster S! It was a tough call. I had to factor in that I wouldn’t feel that I had a new car if I ordered an M Roadster due to my familiarity with my Z4. But the Boxster S felt so good that I am certain I would have more fun with it. I think that it would really be much more fun to drive than the M Roadster.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Great write up and great choice! You won't miss the BMW, the Boxster is a more complete driving experience, and you have to admit it's styling is awesome (most either love or hate the BMW) and the road feel is truly world class. Given where the power curve is on the 987, you just need to rev it more...as you noted, it's a different car over 4K rpms.

The best thing about the Boxster is it's just fun to drive, even at 3/10ths tooling around town. Yes, the Z4M may be a little faster in a straight line, but the Boxster's no slouch and at some performance point it has to be about more than just acceleration.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

WOW...that's pretty much how my ordered car will look like except for the wheels... oh, I am going with the cocoa top.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:10 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The best colors in my opinion....

Old 04-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Default I agree!

Edit: Geez it's so annoying that Rennlist doesn't resize pics on upload!!!@^@^@$@$^$&! I can never seem to get the right res and still keep it at 200K or less.

Last edited by Chris C.; 04-08-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:49 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, for all photos that go online, always make the resolution 72 pixels per inch. After that, the size you set it at will be identical to what appears when you upload it.

Also, the more compression used, the smaller the file size, but this has nothing to do with image size. For the most part, most photos that go online should be compressed considerably so they load quicker in the browser.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Elusive, can you send me hi-res pics of a side shot of your car or a few pics? armand_aquino@hotmail.com
Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

email sent...
Old 04-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Nice write-up...thanks. No doubt the M roadster is faster in a straight line, but I'd bet the 987S is faster around a track. I just cant get into the looks of the Z4...I think it's really ugly, like the other Bangle creations. On the other hand, I wouldnt mind transplanting the engine from the M3 into the Boxster...it's definiteley more powerful. I still consider the M3 the beast between the two, but my wife swears the Boxster is faster.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

Hmmm...nice pic - you got more in a high res version to send?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Ok, so I pick up my Boxster S this past weekend... my first impressions after about 300 miles are:

1. Stereo is not as bad when you don't have the Z4 HK/Carver system to jump into for immediate comparison
2. Car is more noisy on the highway than my Z4.
3. Car handles SO MUCH better than my Z4.
4. Seats are super perfect for me - hold me perfectly
5. Heated seats suck - no where near as hot as the Z4.
6. I LOVE all the buttons!!! It's like a new adventure figuring out what is what!
7. I'm really liking the dual trunk space - it's more like a "his and hers" trunk space. I put my wife's stuff in the front, I put mine in the back...
8. Blindspot is worse than in the Z4.
9. LOVE that huge glove box and all the cubby holes. The Z4's glove box is good for tissues only.
10. Shifter throw is longer than Z4's. Z4's shift action is smoother.
11. Brakes are phenomenal.
12. Clutch feel is better than Z4.

Overall so far? I'm super happy even sans 15 hp from MY07 which I most likely will not be able to feel physically, but definitely mentally...

13. What's with the freakin 2000 mile breakin period? Is this ludicrous or what? With all the RMS issues, I'm scared to take it past 4000 rpms!!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Congrats Armand. See what you notice at 1,000 miles. Car will get faster. Do a search for break-in discussion - I did a hybrid, with first redline at 2,000 miles. The car comes alive at 5K! (sorry)

Get the short shifter from suncoast. Well worth it.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Pegscrapr
1st Gear

Default Boxster break-in

I was at a Porsche dealer recently here in the Bay Area (San Francisco), and talked with a sale rep that's been in the business for over 30 years, and has even raced Porsche's in the past.

He explained to me that Porsche's in general do not need to be broken in. All the engines have gone through extensive testing before, and after they're installed in the car. They're also run through at high RPM's for extended periods of time. After the car is assembled, it's taken out on their test track and tested thoroughly before it's ever sent out to the dealership.

If the engine has any issues what-so-ever during this process, it goes back to the rebuilding process. This is a process of quality control that ensures the customer gets a reliable car.

Don't just take my word for it though, go to the dealership and speak to a reputable sales rep, or technician.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Actually, I knew that fact.... BUT then why do they still say do the break-in in the manual? Hmmm...i something went kaput (like the engine/RMS), I don't want them digging into the computer and seeing that I redline the car on so this date, at this time, etc. etc...
Old 06-30-2006, 11:19 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

14. One billion times more attractive than the Z4 and doesn't have a duck butt.

Quick Reply: Test Drive: Boxster S vs. M Roadster vs. Z4 3.0i (long)