Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO - base 981 or Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:21 AM
a_s
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO - base 981 or Boxster S?

Hey guys,

So I'd like to start off by saying that I'm completely new to Porsche after driving BMWs for years. I've gone through 3 different BMWs and currently have a 2012 335i sedan 6 MT.
I'm looking into getting a CPO Boxster. The thing is, I really only want to drive stick shift even after test driving a PDK. The only CPO stick shift Boxsters within 100 miles of me are a base level Boxster w/ 10,000 miles (and by base, I sincerely mean that.. the car has no options at all! Was $53k brand new) or a 29,000 mile Boxster S that's more loaded with cool options like 20 inch Carrera Classic wheels, Nav, and Bose sound system.

Basically, this question all comes down to a low mileage, base Boxster vs. higher mileage Boxster S with more options for the same price.

My 335i is a very comfy car with tons of convenient features like blind spot warning, nav, backup cam, Pandora Radio, Spotify, etc. I can definitely live without these but I'm afraid that I'll miss them if I go base... but then again, the base is pretty low mileage and the Boxster S isn't. I'm very conflicted!

What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by a_s
Hey guys,

So I'd like to start off by saying that I'm completely new to Porsche after driving BMWs for years. I've gone through 3 different BMWs and currently have a 2012 335i sedan 6 MT.
I'm looking into getting a CPO Boxster. The thing is, I really only want to drive stick shift even after test driving a PDK. The only CPO stick shift Boxsters within 100 miles of me are a base level Boxster w/ 10,000 miles (and by base, I sincerely mean that.. the car has no options at all! Was $53k brand new) or a 29,000 mile Boxster S that's more loaded with cool options like 20 inch Carrera Classic wheels, Nav, and Bose sound system.

Basically, this question all comes down to a low mileage, base Boxster vs. higher mileage Boxster S with more options for the same price.

My 335i is a very comfy car with tons of convenient features like blind spot warning, nav, backup cam, Pandora Radio, Spotify, etc. I can definitely live without these but I'm afraid that I'll miss them if I go base... but then again, the base is pretty low mileage and the Boxster S isn't. I'm very conflicted!

What do you guys think?
Sounds like you need to do some more looking.

If it had to be the one of those, I'd go S with higher mileage. It's under warranty, so mileage isn't a big deal.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't limit your choice to just these 2 vehicles. If possible, I would encourage you to expand your search radius to find the right car with the right mix of options/colors/mileage/etc. Sorry I can't help with the base vs. S question (lots of fans who enjoy both on this forum).
Old 03-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm one of the few people who actually ordered a stripper base 2014 Cayman, which I've now owned for 4 years with no plans to ever sell. Porsche is very good at marketing and makes a lot of money on options, many of which are of questionable value to me. As it turned out, I use my car a lot for DEs and so ended up replacing the seats and upgrading the brake rotors to non-drilled. Also added a roll bar, harnesses, and X-73 suspension upgrade. (More one this shortly).

Since purchasing my base Cayman I've owned 3 other Porsche's, including a new Cayenne, a new Boxster Spyder, and an '86 Targa. The Cayenne and the Spyder are gone, but the Targa and the Cayman are "keepers". I disliked the artificiality of the more heavily optioned cars, including the buttons for "sport exhaust", rear view cameras, sensors and communications features up the wazoo. Both the Targa and the Cayman are relatively simple and to my mind, offer more of a pure driving experience. I hated the fact that my Spyder could not really be enjoyed on the street due to its high power levels. In contrast the Cayman can be thrashed through several gearshifts without the risk of landing you in jail. Don't get me wrong, power has its pleasures. However, most of the classic experience of driving a Porsche can be had without the excessive power levels in today's newer models. Indeed, I would argue that too much power detracts from the enjoyment of a car's balance, steering precision, cockpit controls, mechanical interaction quality and sounds.

So what would I do differently with my base Cayman order? The base speakers are a disgrace, so the Bose speaker, or an aftermarket upgrade, may be helpful. I like to listen to music while driving to more distant track venues, and the base speakers are very weak. The X-73 sport suspension would have been easy and cheap to add at the time of the build, but can be added later for additional cost. Honestly though, the base suspension is not bad and performed well enough for me until my track adventures became a bit more serious. The base seats are okay, especially for street driving, but I would have ordered the sport seats for a little extra money had I known better. Yes, the options list is a slippery slope. All in all, I feel the base cars represent an excellent value. I really enjoy mine.

Based on the two cars you mentioned, the S does look like a better value, especially considering resale, and if you are attracted to the navigation features and wheels. Personally, I'd rather have the 19" standard wheels, but just as a matter of taste. The quality of these cars is so high that 29k miles is nothing really, as long as proper maintenance has been done.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:37 AM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only have two options in 100 miles, you need to increase your search area.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Hey Pep!RRRR - you and I look to be cut from the same auto "cloth". I've moved out of the Macans, Spyder and Turbo and onto to my Base Cayman and 98 993. I wholeheartedly agree that all the options and driving nannies are just not my thing. I love a basic Porsche driving car and the Base Cayman is just that. I agree that the base suspension and seats are not ideal for DE or Autocross but for a daily driver they excel. The one option I like is satellite radio and I personally don't have any plans to change the base sound system. The sound of the 2.7 makes up for any of it's (sound system) short comings. The 19" wheels are perfect IMO.

Should I look for the PERFECT Base Cayman / Boxster, I'd include the X73 Suspension, Sport Seats, MT, 19" wheels, and Sat radio. I am on the fence about the PSE as the stock sounds great and I understand that those that have the PSE feel the closed position is too quiet and it has a 2000 RPM drone.

To the OP, broaden your search and you'll find something really nice. Have fun on your hunt! It can be more fun than the purchase...
Old 04-03-2017, 04:47 PM
rhythm11
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 2013 981 boxster S last summer and had to do a nationwide search to find what I wanted with the options I wanted. Mine had high miles, but I was planning on putting a lot of miles on it and didn't want to pay the premium for low/avg miles.

additionally, mine was not advertised as a CPO and I included the work that needed to be done and the CPO cost in the negotiation. Fortunately My boxster was in Asheville and what a treat to drive those roads on the way back to Ohio.

good luck!

Quick Reply: CPO - base 981 or Boxster S?