Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman at Streetxtreme Automotive - anyone know it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 PM
dkasserra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayman at Streetxtreme Automotive - anyone know it?

Anyone know anything about this car? should I run away?
They say the clicking goes away above 2500 rpm, but it is always there. The thought is that the engine has scored cylinders. Thoughts?
Here is the link.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

Cheers
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Depends what 'ticking' means. All F6 engine valvetrains tick, cold or hot; some more than others. There's another kind of tick that many cars have (including mine), which is discernible between 2,000 to 2,800 rpm, especially in 1st or 2nd gear at steady rpm (goes away when lifting throttle even slightly). My car does that since day 1, so don't think it's 'cylinder scoring'. The current theory is lifters, and a car just got them changed, so we'll find out soon enough if that theory holds water. There're more disturbing kinds of ticking (more of a 'clacking') that could be a progression of the above-mentioned ticking, or something different; we don't know yet. Those can be heard stationary by revving the engine to that rpm range and try to hold it there. Several videos and threads over Planet-9 and here. All of those more serious tickings are heard with engine at full operating temperature. If you're not used to Porsche flat-6 engines, get any potential car checked. As far as the disclaimer on that car, I'd run away from that car, but it's up to you to consider it. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myself I'm not a fan of high mileage purchases unless they are documented like a physician's chart. This might sound crazy but body kit, lowering springs and "As is" screams potentially ragged on to me. If I was going to get serious about it I'd want a qualified Porsche mechanic to check it. I happen to know one in Ontario but I'm not quite sure how far he is. He's also a member on here but he likely doesn't post often. If you decide you're interested I'll see if I have his email and will contact him for you if you want and assuming I have it.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:41 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

That whole ad reads as 'suspect' to me. I wouldn't even be tempted without having a good mechanic go over it with a fine-toothed comb.

Greg

Quick Reply: Cayman at Streetxtreme Automotive - anyone know it?