Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out of 07 Cayman - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Curbed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out of 07 Cayman - Advice?

I have an 07 Cayman I recently purchased from a relative. In what is decidedly not my finest moment, but I either a) locked my key in the car or b) misplaced/lost the key entirely. I can't really see the key inside, but it might be under a jacket in the passenger seat.

Here's what happened. I drove somewhere, got out carrying some stuff, walked a ways, realized I was missing my key, came back...found the car locked. The missing key is a working fob w/ keyblade, btw.

I have 2 spare keys, however. One is a non-functional fob with keyblade. The green 'chip' is missing. This is how I received the key when I bought the car. The other is the little black valet/emergency key. Sadly, neither of these work in the key cylinder. The keys fit into the cylinder, and it turns, but nothing happens and the door remains locked.

I see two red lights blinking inside the car. The red led on the center door lock button and a second one around the radio.

It seems I have these options on the table:

1) Call a locksmith. Either slim jim or air wedge into the car, hope the key is inside

2) Get a jack and some wheel lug locks. Remove the driver's side rear wheel, try to fish for that cable which can open the rear hatch, from what I've read.

3) Bust the window, hope for the best

4) ???

Questions:

1) Does the car automatically lock itself after driving? This would really narrow down whether or not the key is in the car. I know if you open the frunk on a locked 07 Cayman, the doors unlock, then in 60s re-lock if you don't open the door. I am wondering if there is similar behavior when you drive the car, shut off, remove the key, and walk away. Because if not, then there's no way my key is inside because I would have had to have locked it.

2) What triggers the immobilizer on the car? With respect to the ideas above.

3) If the alarm goes off because I try to break in, and the working fob isn't in the car, how do I shut it off? Disconnect the battery?

Beyond that, any thoughts? I am feeling pretty s.o.l. right now.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Break the window? That's a hard NO. I'd just get another key programmed at the dealer, then you have two working keys which you should have anyhow. Pretty sure they can do that from the vin# but someone else might know more about that than myself. As for the alarm of course breaking the battery connection will silence it. If you want to try finding the cable to save some coin that's not a bad plan either.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Curbed
AutoX

Sadly, the dealer can't just give me another key. I tried that angle.

Called 2 dealers in my area. They would need to break into the car, and would need the car on site. I called one service dept and the advisor said "either I slim jim it, or you do. But you're liable for the immobilizer either way." So, that involved a) opening, b) towing, c) fixing, and d) waiting for new key(s) to come from Germany, apparently. Blah.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Did you ask them about the cable rear hatch entry plan? If it were mine I'd prefer that over a slim jim job but if it has to happen you can always join AAA
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Curbed
AutoX

Yeah, I mentioned it and he agreed that was an option, but didn't have details about it or particularly endorse the idea. I found a step-by-step walkthrough however. Might be my best bet at this point.

I guess I wonder what to do if the alarm goes off and the key winds up NOT being inside. Heh.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Someone on here has done the Cayman hatch emergency maneuver, so hopefully you will get a better reply than what I had for you. In the meantime, retrace your movements and double the exterior search efforts. As for the alarm, again the battery disconnect will stop it, no power no siren. However, what I don't know is whether reconnecting said battery and simply placing the correct key in the ignition resets the system. Good luck, report back...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Curbed
AutoX

Will do, thanks for the advice!

I got a few people elsewhere telling me to avoid the air wedge for potential damage to the window, but just talked to another 07 Cayman owner who was in the same boat and said the air wedge worked fine, with no damage. So, that may be a good option. Locksmith will do it for $60.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

I don't have a cayman but don't think it locked itself. You need to locate the key. I would try the cable trick. must you remove the wheel to get at it? on 996 turbo that is not necessary to get the cable.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

also do a search...you can get a key much cheaper than the stealer.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Curbed
AutoX

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I don't have a cayman but don't think it locked itself. You need to locate the key. I would try the cable trick. must you remove the wheel to get at it? on 996 turbo that is not necessary to get the cable.
Yeah, that's the real question. Would it lock itself.

I know it does when the car is locked and you open the frunk, for example. If you don't open the door, it relocks in about a minute.

I have a hard time believing I walked away without locking the car, it's so rote, but I convinced myself that must have happened.

Anyway. Will keep looking!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

They don't lock themselves unless it's locked, you unlock it, but don't open the door. If you drive it and walked away then you locked it.

Even if you get it opened with an air jack you likely won't have a functional key. So I think you're in for a tow to the dealer.

It's strange that your other keys don't open the door. When you have the keys made get two to avoid this on the future. Unfortunately they're about $300 each.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

So what happened? You still pressing your nose to the glass like a teenager dreaming about ownership or can you now sit in it?

Quick Reply: Locked out of 07 Cayman - Advice?