Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one driving on ExtremeContact Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Any one driving on ExtremeContact Sport

I have their DWS and summer is coming so looking for a change. The DWS flat spots really bad, takes half my 23 mile trip to work to feel right. It actually has the least vibration when about 20 to 25 degrees out. I'm guessing because the pressure drops maybe?

I'm most interested two things. I want a great ride on highway between 70 and 90 with pretty good twisty ability. Would like little vibration. I've had a top notch alignment done and replaced tie-rods to I'm pretty sure my front end is solid. I've had Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Hankook's on a 2000 'S' Boxster. I'm now driving a 05 'S' Boxster.

It would be nice to save money and go with the Exteremecontact DW but I'm concerned about the same issues I have with the DWS though that probably is a concern I shouldn't have.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:22 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Conti DW is being phased out and replaced with Conti Sport. I just put these on the 1996 C4S and they are exceptional, as good as Michelin PSS in my opinion. Do not know how they will compare with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S.

The DWS is an all season tire, you cannot compare to the above for summer use.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

iirc i had contis on my 09 cay then i went with MPSS the difference was not night and day but the MPSS are better in all aspects imho
Old 03-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had both Conti DWS on a 996 and Conti DW on a Cayman and have never experienced flat spotting despite months-long winter storage and sometimes a week between driving even in the summer. For long term storage I was careful to inflate to about 50 psi.

I also have Michelin Pilot Sports on a Boxster and I prefer their feel somewhat over the Conti DW.

I would guess the new Conti Sports will be a very good tire nearing or matching Michelin. Waiting for some comparison tests to come out.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:18 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Here you go:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx

I agree that MPSS was a better tire than Conti DW, but I think the new Conti Sport is better than than MPSS.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you everyone. I might give it a try.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 AM
mattchow
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 206 Posts

I went with the Continental ECS based on availability versus the Michelin PS4S. The Continental ECS feel great so far.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattchow
I went with the Continental ECS based on availability versus the Michelin PS4S. The Continental ECS feel great so far.
Any further words you can say about them? Are they relatively quiet? What tire are you coming from...please say PSS
Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Yogi911
Racer

I got sick of waiting for MPS4S so i got the Conti ECS. So far i am very happy with them. Only have about 150 miles on them. They are grippier, smoother, and quieter than the Stock PZeros. No spirited driving or rain driving yet but so far so good.

Last edited by Yogi911; 04-25-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM
eric1234
AutoX

Keep us posted. I just ordered a set for my Boxster, which is still in storage. I'll be interested to hear about your further experiences with them.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:11 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the DWS on my BMW, and I hate them. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that has issues with flat spotting and vibration. Even though they have only 9K on them and lots of tread left, I'm thinking of trashing them.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:26 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I have their DWS and summer is coming so looking for a change. The DWS flat spots really bad, takes half my 23 mile trip to work to feel right. It actually has the least vibration when about 20 to 25 degrees out. I'm guessing because the pressure drops maybe?

I'm most interested two things. I want a great ride on highway between 70 and 90 with pretty good twisty ability. Would like little vibration. I've had a top notch alignment done and replaced tie-rods to I'm pretty sure my front end is solid. I've had Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Hankook's on a 2000 'S' Boxster. I'm now driving a 05 'S' Boxster.

It would be nice to save money and go with the Exteremecontact DW but I'm concerned about the same issues I have with the DWS though that probably is a concern I shouldn't have.
My Boxster came with ExtremeContact DWS tires and had terrible flat spotting when I bought it used. I thought the tires were unbalanced or alignment was off, but nope, it was the tires. After driving around 100 km at highway speeds, it mostly went away, but came back to an extent after the car sat a week. This was circa November last year, when temperatures were around 0 to 7 degrees Celsius here. Tire pressures were just fine, the tires just flat spot like crazy at lower temperatures.

Fortunately, I didn't have any permanent flat spotting happen while the car sat over winter. Now that the weather is getting warmer, they flat spot less, and the flat spots go away quicker, but I still hate the tires. Sitting for a week at normal pressure shouldn't produce flat spots that take 20 kilometers to alleviate.

When they wear out, I'm going to put Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or Pilot Sport 4S if they become available for 18" wheels).
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 PM
mattchow
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi911
Any further words you can say about them? Are they relatively quiet? What tire are you coming from...please say PSS
Originally Posted by Yogi911
I got sick of waiting for MPS4S so i got the Conti ECS. So far i am very happen with them. Only have about 150 miles on them. The are grippier, smoother, and quieter than the Stock PZeros.

No spirited driving or rain driving yet but so far so good.
sorry, didn't see this reply til now, i'm super pleased with them as the "backup" I was on the stock Pirelli's on the factory 18's. They are surprisingly stable in heavy rain as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I have the DWS on my BMW, and I hate them.
Totally different tires. It's like saying you don't like your VW, and somebody else replying they don't like their Porsche either. Same parent company, but different products. The DWSs are an all-season (ultra high-performance, to be exact) tire, while the Extreme Contact Sport is a summer tire (max summer tire, to also be precise), comparable to MPSSs, P Zeros, etc. Supposedly much quieter than MPSSs, and equally capable on performance testing. Unfortunately, it wasn't compared to the newer MP4S, but I'm tempted to try the CECSs just for the quiet factor alone. Still have a few months to see how folks like them on their Caymans.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Totally different tires
Did the OP not say that he had the same tire? That's what I was responding to.

Quick Reply: Any one driving on ExtremeContact Sport