Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 Boxster S order: production delays, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 718 Boxster S order: production delays, what to do?

I ordered a 718 Boxster S in late December. Freeze date was January 17, due to enter production on February 17, delivered to northern CA by May 9.

In late February I got a vague status update from the dealer that the deliver date had shifted to May 19 and that he could not retrieve the build code due to a system outage. Early March, I got another email from the dealer that delivery date was still the same, and that the production was delayed due to parts availability.

Yesterday, another update from the dealer: production still delayed due to availability of some unspecified part. He says the completion date is now 3/24 and delivery date has been moved to 6/9.

Here is the build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ34NKA7
(I notice there have been several price increases on the configurator in the past month)

At the time I placed the order, the impression I got from the dealer is that the car could arrive earlier than 5/9. I wasn't counting on that, but it is certainly disappointing to find that it has slipped to now a full month later. If it is delayed any further, I will be very unenthusiastic about missing several months of great driving weather, not to mention taking delivery of one of the last cars from 2017 production. Pondering just demanding my deposit back and looking for a 981 GTS, and waiting to see what the 718 GTS looks like.

Any advice to offer? Is there anything the dealer can to do get me more information?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Does it REALLY take months to get a car after you order? I've only bought used or bought new cars on the lot.

Id go for the 981GTS. It'll be so much more of a blast to drive and cheaper too, than the 718.

If your'e stuck on the 718, then grab a snickers I guess.

Matt
Old 03-17-2017, 05:35 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd look hard at the GTS, resale and exclusivity overcome model year IMO, it should be a screamer too. Don't be surprised if retrieving the deposit isn't an option.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I wonder if some of the delays are due to the recent recalls. It's possible Porsche is trying to focus parts on existing customer cars initially.

Just as a point of reference when I ordered my Spyder in late January the car went into production the next day (luck) and was delivered to the dealer in early March. This was 2011 when the economy was slow, we are in an entirely different economy now.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Don't be surprised if retrieving the deposit isn't an option.
In CA, a non-refundable deposit essentially doesn't exist. At least not for a car from a dealer.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd wait it out. Seems like a straightforward build. Hard to say what part would be causing delays (Afshin probably has it nailed) and don't know if dealer would have any better info.
But a computer/system outage would be a few hours, not a few weeks so I'd write an email or send a letter to PCNA if you don't feel like you're getting a straight answer.

Had to wait 6 months for my first Boxster but that was back in 99 when demand was through the roof. Shouldn't be that problem now.

My 07 Cayman S was delayed 6 weeks because of factory vacation in August and I think because of some exclusive options as well.

Delays aren't unusual for a variety of reasons and if this is the build you really want then I wouldn't sweat a 30-day delay.

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Any advice to offer?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:29 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered my 981 S in May of '12 and didn't receive until the end of Sept. Takes a little time, but not 6+ months. Didn't know about recalls on the 718's.

Personally, I still have a hard time getting used to a 4 banger in this car. Love the way a flat 6 howls, especially with IPD, headers and a reflash!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

I ended up ordering a 718 in part because I couldn't find any GTS's on the market in a configuration I liked. 90% of the ones currently for sale are white, for some reason. I'm not that picky on colors, but I draw the line at white. I also think alcantara steering wheels feel gross, so that rules out about half of the remaining 10%.

Saving money and getting that flat-6 are certainly appealing - on the other hand, I like the 718 better overall, and I like turbos.

Hopefully the car will complete production next week and then I will just be waiting for the boat. A 30-day delay is not so bad by itself, but my concern is that they've already slipped the date twice. It suggests they don't really know when this availability issue will be resolved and are just bumping the date two weeks whenever they miss the last one.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Dude. You need to learn to chill. I waited 10 months for my Spyder.

What really amazes me is when I swing by the dealer and EVERY car on the dealer lot is black, grey, silver, and maybe one or two whites. This tells me that the dealer spec cars are designed for people who want immediate gratification, rather than a personalized vehicle.

It's a Porsche. It is special. Enjoy the process.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Yes yes, that's a very mature attitude. Maybe by my third or fourth Porsche, I will not mind the wait as much. But the first one is pretty hard!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Dude. You need to learn to chill. I waited 10 months for my Spyder.

What really amazes me is when I swing by the dealer and EVERY car on the dealer lot is black, grey, silver, and maybe one or two whites. This tells me that the dealer spec cars are designed for people who want immediate gratification, rather than a personalized vehicle.

It's a Porsche. It is special. Enjoy the process.
This person is entirely correct.

An alternative perspective is that things happen for a reason and this is the Universe telling you to buy a 981 instead.

I think if you love and want the newer, faster 718 then just chill, wait and enjoy it when it comes. If you're not specifically bothered and just want a great Porsche roadster of some description then cancel the order and get a 981 GTS. It's older and slower but very special, and you might just end up quite pleased.

Either way you'll have a great car.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love your build - can't find fault with your color or wheel choices either! You will love GT silver - it's an absolutely great color - silver in its purest form. Be patient, and enjoy!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 PM
genevagear
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The price increase is for MY2018. The main Porsche site with details about the Cayman/Boxster has not been updated with MY2018 information but the configurator has. The MY2018 delivery time is expected to be late July 2017.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Yes - to the OP - congratulations and EMBRACE the wait as it makes it all that much better. Consider it as waiting for your first kiss with a high school sweetheart.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Your spec is beautiful! I would not sweat the delay. It will be a great experience when it arrives.

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster S order: production delays, what to do?