Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 cayman s manual - sport chrono advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 PM
AuggieGTS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 cayman s manual - sport chrono advantage?

Hi guys - I'm new here and looking for a replacement weekend/track car. I'm interested in the cayman S (or gts if released soon).

As I build out must-have options, I want a manual, sport exhaust and PASM with the 20mm drop. I'm also a big fan of the 20" carrera s wheels. You can see that a gts, based on historical pricing and my option list, may provide a good value for me. Plus I'm a sucker for the more aggressive front end.

My question is around sport chrono on a manual. I get the superior mounts and drive mode selection capability nicely mounted on the steering wheel.

As a guy who goes manual knowing it's slower than pdk, I still want to do my own throttle blips on heal toe. I will drive the car on limited weekend trips plus 4 or 5 track weekends a year.

Is there any reason (other than resale and the cool gauge plus mounts and drive selection capability) to check the sport chrono box if I go 718 s rather than gts?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:32 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

from the owner's manual.

Dynamic transmission mounts are also part of the Sport Chrono Package.
The electronically controlled system minimises the perceptible oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain and combines bhe benefits of a hard or soft transmission mounting arrangement to offer a sporty yet comfortablecornering experience. In short, it enhances both driving stability and driving comfort.

Also, Don't forget PTV.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:42 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

also, get the GT Sport Steering Wheel, sport seat plus

i highly recommend the PCCBs, they are fantastic!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:50 PM
AuggieGTS
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mcipseric
also, get the GT Sport Steering Wheel, sport seat plus

i highly recommend the PCCBs, they are fantastic!
Thanks for the reply! On the ceramics - do you track your car? Have you had to swap pads/rotors?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 47 Posts

If you insist on heel/toe, I'd skip sport chrono. Sport chrono adds rev matching in Sport and Sport+ modes, which may be annoying if you prefer these driving modes. I believe only the Normal drive mode disables rev matching.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Cannot speak for the 718, but on 981 models with sports chrono package rev matching is only available in sports +. Also, rev matching can be turned off if you also turn off PSM. Keep in mind, if you turn PSM off, you also turn off all the safety nannies.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

From Porsche: throttle-blip downshifts in SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode

And +1 to your comment about disabling PSM to disable rev matching, regardless of drive mode. I tend to think this isn't a great option since most of us prefer to (or at least should!) keep some nannies on. Damn you, Chris Harris.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

It would be great if 718 drivers chime in to share if turning off the PSM disables rev-match, as it happens in 981. Porsche screwed up by not isolating rev-match to Sport Plus. Even worse, the Individual mode doesn't seem to allow excluding rev-match!

AuggieGTS:
- You could still go for the Chrono and just not use Sport and Sport Plus for the benefits mentioned above.
- You could hope that someday, somebody at Porsche would realize the stupidity and push a software update so that Individual mode can be truly customized.
- If turning off PSM does disable rev-match, then so be it. Who needs PSM anyway!!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Reno 911
From Porsche: throttle-blip downshifts in SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode
Maybe with PDK?? I can absolutely certify that in my '15 (981) CGTS with manual transmission there is NOT a downshift rev match in the "SPORT" mode, ONLY in "SPORT PLUS".
Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
Maybe with PDK?? I can absolutely certify that in my '15 (981) CGTS with manual transmission there is NOT a downshift rev match in the "SPORT" mode, ONLY in "SPORT PLUS".
PDK blips all the time - just how it works. Perhaps Porsche changed it on the 718, but I'm sure a 718 owner can confirm. I don't understand when BMW, Porsche, etc. don't simply add an on/off switch versus forcing MT behavior based on the drive mode. Believe you me, my F80 M3 could've used no rev matching since it was pretty damn boring to begin with (although fast). Only Sport+ would disable it, with the throttle being almost an on/off switch in that mode.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

PDK always rev matches.
sport + enables manual rev matches

the new PCCBs rotors last MUCH longer than older generations. - Track is where you want the better brake feel and greater modulation.

We track the PCCBs every day and have not needed to change rotors yet. (of course not on my dime.... That said, after experiencing PCCBs, I will always order them in all my future cars. PCCBs are that good.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mcipseric
........ That said, after experiencing PCCBs, I will always order them in all my future cars. PCCBs are that good.
Could you elaborate on these? Due to reduced unsprung weight, the suspension would be more responsive. Aside my cosmetic side-effects (no brake dust, etc.), what are the other benefits? And, could those benefits be realized on the street?

I am sure these have been discussed ad nauseam; I have terrible memory. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:13 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by the_rider
Could you elaborate on these? Due to reduced unsprung weight, the suspension would be more responsive. Aside my cosmetic side-effects (no brake dust, etc.), what are the other benefits? And, could those benefits be realized on the street?

I am sure these have been discussed ad nauseam; I have terrible memory. Thanks.
Most benefits are with the track and performance driving - aka canyons.
My biggest benefit is the brake feel and range of modulation the PCCBs give. On a steel brake you may get 2-3 inch range of pedal modulation where the PCCBs will give you twice that range. Lets you do things under braking that are not possible (or extremely difficult) with the steel option.

As for purely muted street driving the benefits are no brake dust and the rotors will last the lifetime of the car.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 AM
filmhack
3rd Gear

***UPDATE*** I'm a dumbass and this post is incorrect... you CAN disable auto rev matching in SPORT modes if you completely disable PSM. I explain it in a later post.

As a 718 Cayman S owner with 6MT and Sport Chrono, I can tell you that in SPORT and SPORT+, you get auto rev matching either with or without PSM active. Turning PSM off doesn't turn off auto blipping. The only way to disable it is to run in NORMAL mode, or INDIVIDUAL mode with NORMAL set as your baseline.

Speaking of ceramics, I feel that the brake pedal on my 718 is slightly higher and the accelerator is slightly lower than other MTs I've driven, which makes heel/toe a little more difficult, requiring a lot more foot roll to tap the accelerator (and for me on my first few attempts, inadvertently applying more brake pressure than desired to get close.) I have the standard S brakes, but imagine with their longer pedal range, PCCBs would make blips much easier.

Last edited by filmhack; 04-05-2017 at 06:06 AM. Reason: wrong info!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:12 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by filmhack
As a 718 Cayman S owner with 6MT and Sport Chrono, I can tell you that in SPORT and SPORT+, you get auto rev matching either with or without PSM active. Turning PSM off doesn't turn off auto blipping. The only way to disable it is to run in NORMAL mode, or INDIVIDUAL mode with NORMAL set as your baseline.

Thanks, filmhack. But, this is a bad news! It's a blow to MT purist when turning the PSM off doesn't disable the damn rev-match! Have you tried adding performance parameters into INDIVIDUAL, leaving out rev-match? I remember someone mentioned earlier that you can't really customize INDIVIDUAL mode; it simply copies the NORMAL. Or, something like that. One of the dumbest things Porsche has done in recent memory!

So, if you are a MT purist, you are better off not getting Chrono. It doesn't bode well for the next Spyder! Let's see how the GTS turns out, on this issue.

Quick Reply: 718 cayman s manual - sport chrono advantage?