Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console Trim in Leather (DIY Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Center Console Trim in Leather (DIY Replacement)

I'm mostly posting this to provide the content for future searchers. As mentioned in my "upgrades" thread, there's some glare off the silver trim which comes with the 981/991, and I find it annoying, particularly from the center console. The upgrade is not inexpensive for what you're getting, but it is super easy, and looks great.

1. I ordered this from Suncoast: http://suncoastparts.com/product/9X1LCT.html ... as you can see in the picture, there's not much to it, but it is real leather, high quality plastic, and pretty solidly made.

2. Follow these instructions (http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-disc...r-console.html) to pull up center console. Note that you do not need to remove shift boot or button box. This is just the trim piece around the whole shebang. Begin pulling up carefully at the storage bin end. It's going to take a lot of force, but you want to ensure you don't break any pins, so support the trim with your hands carefully the whole way.

3. Line up the new center console and push in place at all pin positions.

4. eBay the old part, because who needs two of these things around? (if you're interested, here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/112320323425)

Really, this was a three-minute job, and I was being careful. If you want to swap your center console trim, and the cost is palatable to you, I highly recommend it.
Attached Images      
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice upgrade!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! Yeah, it looks pretty good in daylight. Last pictures were by the light of the map lamps. Here's the (gray) outdoors.
Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It does look good...Nice upgrade.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Just replaced the original fake aluminum console trim plate with red leather.
I'm generally not a DIY person, but the description above sounded so easy I decided to go for it.
The original silver plastic trim piece in my car was VERY, VERY reluctant to pull off. When it finally did come loose, despite my gentlest efforts, it did develop a tiny fracture of the sidewall, giving the top surface a subtle permanent bend on the driver's side. Also, more concerning, is that it pulled up a bit of the shift boot and trim with it. Not all the way out. just the side near the driver pulled up a quarter or half inch or so.
The rubber gasket didn't pull out with the plastic trim piece, so I left it in place and the used the old one.
When I put in the replacement leather piece, it all seemed to go back together nicely, and it looks great, but I'm a bit shaken up about the shift boot and trim piece partially becoming displaced. Anything to worry about? it all seems solid now, although I haven't driven it to check for rattles. Any chance of having damaged any wires/electronics when yanking on the shift boot and trim?

Quick Reply: Center Console Trim in Leather (DIY Replacement)