Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder - instrument surround trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 246 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder - instrument surround trim

One thing that bugs me a little on the interior of my spyder is the gray semi-matt finish of the trim piece that surrounds the instruments. There is no other interior trim piece with the same finish that is visible while sitting in the car, so looks out of place. I think I'd much prefer it if it were either finished in the same bright silver as the steering wheel center & shifter trim. Does anyone know what type of finish that is? Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  82.9 KB

I guess white might be another option....
Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

There's no right/wrong answer here, but IMHO the darker background allows the white gauges with silver surrounds to stand out. I don't think they will be as "featured" if you go with a brighter background. Contrast is your friend.

Not to steal your thread, but what is the proper Porsche name for your steering wheel? My stock Spyder steering wheel is the only the thing I dislike about my interior.

DaveGee
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The silver technically matches the trim on the e brake but I agree it doesn't work well on the white Spyder with red interior, it's almost a sore thumb. If you go painted I'm sure bumperplugs could provide the part in the white. I haven't seen it in leather or other finishes.

It never bothered me on the black interior as it matches with the Spyder logos on the car.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave , that steering wheel is the "sport wheel with paddle shifters" I believe it came with the sport chrono option I have the same one.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PDKPADDLE.html
Old 02-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nurburgring, I'm with you! If you find an option please let me know. I would really like black to match the surround or carbon fiber.
I switched my white console to CF and had the white strip in the dash covered with grey Alcantera to match the seat and door inserts. I wanted to get rid of the "plastic" that really stuck out to me (I know others really like the contrast and match with the exterior (I also had CF parts made to replace the grey plastic vents in front, sides and the rear diffuser).

Love the Spyder, just think all the plastic cheapens an amazing and otherwise nicely finished sports car.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Black alcantara an option for you?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

On the previous Spyder, the RS60 they painted that trim a bright silver and it looked great. Although I read from owners that it reflected badly with their tops down.

I think the concept car had it as well. I considered it but decided to leave it alone. What is funny many Cayman ( I had one too) went that route, did the delete kit of the cover and painted the high silver finish. They didnt have to worry about glare.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Not to steal your thread, but what is the proper Porsche name for your steering wheel? My stock Spyder steering wheel is the only the thing I dislike about my interior.
The proper Porsche name is 'Sport Design Steering Wheel'.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder - instrument surround trim