Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must-have upgrades or modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Must-have upgrades or modifications?

I picked up a 981 Cayman earlier in the week, used, and it's been a blast. That said, there are a few things I have done, or plan to do, to make it my own.

1. The (halogen) headlights are atrocious on a car of this quality and, particularly, speed. I'm going to find aftermarket LED or HID set that'll brighten things up a bit.

2. My Cayman came with the standard silver center console. I'm going to replace it with a black leather center console trim to reduce glare. I've seen 991 models with the center console trim in leather, and it's a good look, as well as glare-reducing.

3. Been considering PSE or Agency Power exhaust system, though the stock exhaust is pretty awesome already, so I'm waiting on that.

4. I'm debating between a wrap (vinyl) and a clearbra for stone chips. This is a daily driver, so rocks are inevitable, but I'm not sure whether a clear bra / wrap is really warranted, or if I should just get the paint touched up now and then.

What have you done to your 981 that you'd consider essential to consider as a new owner?

Pics attached because who can't use some more pictures?
Attached Images      
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,910 Likes on 794 Posts

Great looking car, and congratulations. I have the PSE on my CGTS, and love it FWIW.

Enjoy in good health!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:27 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Great looking car, and congratulations. I have the PSE on my CGTS, and love it FWIW.

Enjoy in good health!
Thanks! Glad to hear (more) good things about the PSE. My only hesitation with it is the difficulty of aftermarket install. The exhaust system itself is, of course, no issue, but the wiring up to the center console could be many an hour at the mechanic...
Old 02-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Definitely get the clear bra, replicating the factory paint is difficult for a bodyshop to achieve and replacing a clear bra is trivial by comparison.

Nice looking Cayman, enjoy in good health and congrats!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 320 Posts

There's not really anything that "must be done" on your Cayman. However, it would help if you provided more specifics on your Cayman.

I can certainly recommend PSE as it can be turned off if you don't want to wake up the neighbors when you do an early morning drive. However, some don't like it so, try to test drive a car that has it installed.

One thing I would consider as a must have is a set of winter tires/wheels if you plan on driving much when temps gets below 40 degrees or if there's snow on the ground.

Enjoy the Cayman, it's a beauty!!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Indeed, good point re: early morning. The stock exhaust, as I said, is not exactly ugly sounding, so I'm up in the air about this, but definitely appreciate the input!

My 981 is simple:
- MY 2015
- 2.7L, 6MT
- Convenience Package (heated seats, dual zone climate)
- CDR+
- Sport Tailpipes
- (aftermarket) LED headlamps
- (OEM, but aftermarket installed) center console trim in black leather

In this case, I'm super glad I got a basic one, because it's a damn fine car, doesn't cost the earth, and fits my preferences for simplicity. Anything I want, I can add a la carte, and I've browsed the extensive OEM and aftermarket upgrades, but I don't have a sense of what people absolutely loved having done (or ordered) for their cars.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On the clear bra idea, I'd suggest wrapping the full front. My car's first owner had a partial clear bra installed. When I bought the car the wrap had been removed. However, between the few rock chips and the paint condition, it was clear where the clear bra ended across the middle of the decklid and front wings. Also, have the headlight and fog light housings wrapped too. That will provide a good bit of UV and chipping protection to some rather expensive housings.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 PM
eric1234
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get ahold of and install the OEM bi-zenon headlights, they're wonderful
Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Good looking Cayman!

Looks Black, correct? Paint chips typically are more pronounced in dark colors so some sort of paint protection film is desirable. The silver console trim looks good but that's certainly subjective.

Have fun wth the car!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The only upgrades I am planning for my yet unpurchased Cayman is getting rid of the silver bits on the interior trim dash and console and putting carbon fiber there instead...and changing out the rear diffuser to one with carbon fiber as well, if in fact the year I purchase has a removable diffuser. I will also be putting Xpel clear bra on the front end and mirror caps.

I think LED or Xenon light look better, but I am not sure it is worth the price and effort of changing them out depending on what is involved.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend Xpeling the car. Front and rear and rocker panels and side mirrors.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Thanks for suggestions, all!

- XPEL / Ceramic Pro: I am going to have Proform Auto in Ellicott City, MD do XPEL on the full front (fenders, hood, mirrors, bumper cover), and ceramic pro coating on the whole car. I know black isn't the easiest color to keep up, but... I just like black. It's cool, I am not *too* neurotic about stuff; I think the XPEL and coating should be good enough to resist my deferred cleaning schedule!

- I agree that the silver trim is nice, and I have no issues with its quality. I just have a little sensitivity to glare, and I know the leather looks good, too. If the glare didn't bother me at certain angles of the sun, I would do nothing, the silver definitely isn't bad.

- Ended up going the LED route, but not OEM: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...r-install.html ... the OEM headlamps are insanely priced, though I definitely would steer new buyers toward anything other than the base halogens, knowing what I now know about the base halogens, which are unacceptable. These aftermarket LEDs have been solid, and are as good as my previous (excellent) xenon headlights.

Regarding the XPEL on the headlights... the shop I'm having do the rest of the car doesn't want to do headlights on the 981. He says he's seen them delaminate on film removal. Anybody know anything about this? Sounds terrifying, honestly, but I can't tell if it's fear, uncertainty, and doubt, or real...
Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you got it all figured out. The new headlights look good. I bookmarked it in case my new "used" Cayman doesn't have Xenons.

I have heard mixed reviews on coating the headlights in Xpel or nothing...Some places will do it and some won't. I think some are scared of it...I heard something about heat from the lights might be an issue too, but maybe someone who has done it will chime in.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 PM
rellim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygetic
What have you done to your 981 that you'd consider essential to consider as a new owner?

Track time.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered my 981S with brushed aluminum trim on the glovebox, dash and console. Looks great and cuts down reflective glare.

Xenons are a must - wouldn't order any car without them.

PSE is terrific also, especially with the NA six.

I have my car wrapped in XPEL, which really is worth the investment. I did the full front including fenders, rockers, rear fenders and full hood. Did not do the headlights.

Your Cayman is gorgeous! Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Must-have upgrades or modifications?