Sponsored by: APR

Test drove Maclaren 650S, but could not part with my 981 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:00 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test drove Maclaren 650S, but could not part with my 981 Spyder

I'll keep this short. My wife and I drove to a Maclaren dealership yesterday with the intent of test driving a 650S, buying it if it is what I wanted, and possibly putting a deposit for the 720S. But in the back of my mind I knew it meant giving up my 981 Spyder!

The 650S was amazing in every aspect...Beauty, style, tightness, even price, ...there was nothing at fault. I also checked out the various 570 variations and they too are fantastic.

However, after everything was over and discussing it with my wife in the Maclaren conference room I decided to keep my Spyder..... and more importantly "keep" Porsche. I can't even change brands, much less models.

It's difficult to put my finger on, but for me, there's too much I liked about driving a Porsche, any Porsche. When push came to shove I couldn't do it.

The Maclaren SA hadn't even heard of a Boxster Spyder despite having several Boxster and Boxster S's as trade in's (but that's ok). When he finally recognized what I was referring to he knew that this deal was dead!

I currently enjoy the #1 contracted slot for the new 991.2GT3. Nothing has changed my mind about that. .....so I've decided to keep both the Spyder and the GT3 after it arrives. They're very different cars, but still both are Porsche. I know how lucky I am being able to do this. My biggest problem know is I still don't know where the hell I'll put them!

Last edited by DannieK; 02-25-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-2017, 09:01 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

I have somewhat of a similar story
this past summer I sold my 991.1 GT3 and wanted to try another car just for fun. I drove the 650S, R8 v10 plus, and Hurucan. I loved them all , but for some odd reason I did not pull the trigger on any. I did end up grabbing a GT3RS this year.
by the way : weather was nice yesterday so I drove my spyder yesterday, and my comment to my son: perfect car
Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 AM
martinmp42
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I has a 991 RS, a Boxter Spyder and a 50th anniversary which is essentially 991 GTS. Every one drives differently and gives you a different kind of pleasure. It is really very hard to decide which one to part with if you have to choose. I guess it is a good problem to have
Old 02-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

To the OP, I know exactly what you are talking about. I too have this loyalty to the Porsche brand, very much like to a family. I think it has to do with the people and the engineering behind the products, the struggles to over come adversity, right up to last summers Le Mans win. There's a connection to greatness I believe we all feel.

To quote from the ORIGINALE Classic catalog:

"And from racing we know that it is often the smallest, apparently most insignificant parts that can determine whether or not the race is won or lost. This understanding of the significance of each individual part and their perfect interaction is what makes a Porsche".

Attention to detail. Form and function. Cool.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts
Default McLaren not ready for prime time

Originally Posted by Zeus993
To the OP, I know exactly what you are talking about. I too have this loyalty to the Porsche brand, very much like to a family. I think it has to do with the people and the engineering behind the products, the struggles to over come adversity, right up to last summers Le Mans win. There's a connection to greatness I believe we all feel.

To quote from the ORIGINALE Classic catalog:

"And from racing we know that it is often the smallest, apparently most insignificant parts that can determine whether or not the race is won or lost. This understanding of the significance of each individual part and their perfect interaction is what makes a Porsche".

There are many reasons for considering a McLaren. To me, being very safety minded, The new carbon fiber monocage in the 720S is the most important reason. When that trickles down to the 570 S in the next generation, it will be a very desirable car. The hydraulic system replacing traditional sway bars I think will take away from sports car feel and enjoyment. That said, there are even more compelling reasons not to buy a McLaren. On the Mckarenlife site there are just too many detailed reports of new cars spending as much time in the shop as out, and qualifying for local lemon laws. The flaws are egregious including significant body panel fit issues to the point where paint is scraping off, cooling hoses falling off, and unsolvable electrical gremlins. It must be frustrating to have a car with one or 2000 miles to take it in for service and have the car returned with the same rough idle. The turmoil of Ron Dennis leaving can't be helping the situation.
The boxer engines are an amazing design. The ergonomics of Porsche are second to none
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts
Default McLaren not ready for prime time

Originally Posted by Zeus993

To quote from the ORIGINALE Classic

There are many reasons for considering a McLaren. To me, being very safety minded, The new carbon fiber monocage in the 720S is the most important reason, aside from the obvious brilliant chassis and aerodynamic engineering.. When the carbon fiber monocage trickles down to the 570 S in the next generation, it will be a very desirable car. The hydraulic system replacing traditional sway bars diminishes sports car feel and enjoyment leading me to conclude the 570 is the better car for purists, never mind of the better value. That said, there are even more compelling reasons not to buy a McLaren. On the Mckarenlife site there are just too many detailed reports of new cars spending as much time in the shop as out, and qualifying for local lemon laws. The flaws are egregious including significant body panel fit issues to the point where paint is scraping off, cooling hoses falling off, and unsolvable electrical and software gremlins. It must be frustrating to have a car with 1-2000 miles require frequent service and have the car returned with the same rough idle, for example, unadressed. The turmoil of Ron Dennis leaving can't be helping the situation. I also dislike that when the car is out of warranty, McLaren has a monopoly on service. Also, local dealers have a McLaren monopoly. Where I live in Los Angeles, there were three Porsche dealers that are reasonable driving distance. The availability of reasonably priced expert independent service is also a huge plus for Porsche.

The boxer engines are an amazing design. The ergonomics of Porsche are second to none. The traditional instrumentation is extremely appealing compared to the video game feel of current Ferraris. With Cobb tuning and a DSC module and fairly minor suspension and brake upgrades, on short tracks, a 981 Cayman has lap times surprisingly close to McLaren 570S, for example at Willow Springs. A GT4 is less than a second slower than a 570 S at Willow Springs, and a 981 with the above mods not far behind a GT4.

Reading about people walking out of a McLaren dealership and sticking with Porsche really strikes a nerve with me. I think the ownership experience of Porsche will be superior until McLaren quality control and dealer service network catches up with its great engineering.
My guess is that is five or 10 years from now Mckaren will be ready fr prime time which is still an amazing accomplishment given how short a time they have been making cars.

This is my first post.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 04-05-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Reading about people walking out of a McLaren dealership and sticking with Porsche really strikes a nerve with me. I think the ownership experience of Porsche will be superior until McLaren quality control and dealer service network catches up with its great engineering.
My guess is that is five or 10 years from now Mckaren will be ready fir prime time which is still an amazing accomplishment given how short a time they have been making cars.

This is my first post.
I went to check out the 570S as an alternative to the GT3 and the dealership experience turned me off. That and some of the niggling reliability issues would make it hard to actually write a $200k check to McLaren.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DannieK to dealer: You can have my Spyder keys / fob when you pry them from my cold dead fingers
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Mountain Man
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said, Terbi..., well said!

I love clever ... and that is clever!

The Mountain Man
2016 Black Widow Spyder

Quick Reply: Test drove Maclaren 650S, but could not part with my 981 Spyder