Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base owner regrets???

Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

No regrets whatsoever. I didn't even drive the base car until I purchased mine... was the kind of buyer who assumed the S would be necessary, and only ever shopped the S. Driving the base revealed to me a car which is honestly more fun on public roads, because you can wring it out. More speed is a diminishing return.

Now, if I were a track denizen, or maybe more of a straight-line speed junkie, it's got to be S. Those who have not driven a base, however, owe it to themselves to try one before assuming it is not enough.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first sports cars I ever owned was this 1993 Mazda RX7. Great, great car. That car had plenty of get up and go for me, which is why I'm leaning towards getting a base Cayman.

1993 Mazda RX7 Specifications - Engine and Transmission.

Mazda RX7 Engine: The Coupe version of the RX7 model has a 1308 cc (79.8 ci) 0 valve R2 Twin Turbo Petrol engine.

Power and Torque Specifications.

Mazda RX7 Power: The RX7's 1308 cc (79.8 ci) engine reaches its peak power of 255 bhp (190 kW) @ 6500 rpm.
Mazda RX7 Torque: The Mazda RX7 produces torque measuring 217 lb-ft (345.7 Nm) @ 5000 rpm.
Mazda RX7 Power to Weight: The RX7 weighs around 1310 kg (2888 lb). Power to weight can be calculated at 194.6 bhp per metric ton or alternatively as 165.6 lb-ft of torque per ton.
Mazda RX7 Performance Specifications.

Mazda RX7 Top Speed: The Mazda RX7 FD Turbo - [1993] has a top speed of 156 mph (251.0 kph)
Mazda RX7 Acceleration: This RX7 reaches 0 to 60 mph (96.6 kph) in 5.5 seconds and can cover a 1/4 mile in an estimated 14.07 seconds.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 AM
jto24
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

While I do miss the power of my previous F80 M3, I have no regrets. I moved from the most powerful car I've ever owned to the least powerful car I've ever owned. With that said, the driving experience in the base 981 with X73 and 6 speed is incredible; much more engaging than my DCT M3.

My next car considerations are: 991.1 C2S, 991.2 C2 base, 981 GTS/4, 718 CS (pending test drive)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Joel, I've been away and must have missed this post. Congrats on the Cayman! Love the color combo. If you've posted pics, I missed them so post them again

That's what I kept telling my ex!
Nick - it may have been that you were away but in actual fact I was pretty much in the closet about my "thinning of the herd" and trading in my Macan GTS and (tear), my 987.2 Spyder. As the weather improves here I will for sure regret this move but with my 98 C2S in garage it became my go-to car and the Spyder just sat there. I wanted to started driving a SPORTS car daily, not really digging the Macan, and not wanting to put too many miles on the 98. So... there was a beautiful base 981 Cayman, and get this - a PDK, at a local indy that I feel in love with and pulled the switch. The Spyder went instantly to a great local guy that I'll see at all the events. And, after driving your 981 Spyder and digging it, put a deposit down on a 2018 Spyder, early 18 delivery. We'll see what that looks like when it gets released. In the meantime I'm daily driving this snotty, 2.7, short-stroke NA, super-revy H6 in PDK manual mode and keeping the revs high to get the power out of it. It's a blast! And makes great sounds in the cabin. And it has heated seats for our winter weather. Diggin' the back hatch as well.

Here's a few pics.

P.s. Once you see the combination of the Agate Gray / Orange interior you'll see why I've not swapped out the orange side markers.

Name:  IMG_0837.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  223.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0843.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  493.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0661.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  234.4 KB

Originally Posted by syzygetic
No regrets whatsoever. I didn't even drive the base car until I purchased mine... was the kind of buyer who assumed the S would be necessary, and only ever shopped the S. Driving the base revealed to me a car which is honestly more fun on public roads, because you can wring it out. More speed is a diminishing return.

Now, if I were a track denizen, or maybe more of a straight-line speed junkie, it's got to be S. Those who have not driven a base, however, owe it to themselves to try one before assuming it is not enough.
100% agree being more fun on public roads and yes - you have to wring the power out of it which is a BLAST!

Originally Posted by jto24
While I do miss the power of my previous F80 M3, I have no regrets. I moved from the most powerful car I've ever owned to the least powerful car I've ever owned. With that said, the driving experience in the base 981 with X73 and 6 speed is incredible; much more engaging than my DCT M3.

My next car considerations are: 991.1 C2S, 991.2 C2 base, 981 GTS/4, 718 CS (pending test drive)
I seem to be dropping in power! I've gone from 355 (06 C2S), to 480 (08 TT cab), to 320 (11 Spyder), to 285 (98 C2S) and now down to 275 (14 981). I agree that power is nice to have but with the TT cab it came on like a freight train and was super fun occasionally, much like going to an amusement park. It's not something for the everyday.

I think for the city, the base 981 is an exceptional combination, a true lower HP, light weight (except for the PDK) drivers car. I'll see what it's like in a few months keeping up with the pack of locals on some of the spirited drives we do.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2017, 02:08 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993

Here's a few pics.

P.s. Once you see the combination of the Agate Gray / Orange interior you'll see why I've not swapped out the orange side markers.
Beautiful interior!! Love the 2 tone.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:14 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

I am in the same position as you are looking for a used Cayman, albeit, an older one than you are, but I test drove a base 2011 yesterday and I was surprised at the power it had and the low end torque was great. I am test driving an S this weekend, but I don't think I will need it as I don't plan on tracking it. Have you test driven both yet?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice
I am in the same position as you are looking for a used Cayman, albeit, an older one than you are, but I test drove a base 2011 yesterday and I was surprised at the power it had and the low end torque was great. I am test driving an S this weekend, but I don't think I will need it as I don't plan on tracking it. Have you test driven both yet?

Going tomorrow. I'm going to drive the base first. I'm almost certain it will have more than enough power for my drive around town needs, plus it falls more within my budget. If I'm happy with the power of the base, I may not even waste my time driving the S.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Nick - it may have been that you were away but in actual fact I was pretty much in the closet about my "thinning of the herd" and trading in my Macan GTS and (tear), my 987.2 Spyder. As the weather improves here I will for sure regret this move but with my 98 C2S in garage it became my go-to car and the Spyder just sat there. I wanted to started driving a SPORTS car daily, not really digging the Macan, and not wanting to put too many miles on the 98.
No explanations necessary! If the Spyder wasn't getting seat time, then the desire to replace it with something that will is totally understandable. As I get older it makes less and less sense to me to hold on to stuff that just sits around and isn't getting used. Sounds like the Cayman is putting huge grins on your face, not just periodically but on a daily basis, and that's all that matters.

Great combo with the Agate and I'm betting it's very unusual to find this interior on a non-S. Nice find!

Thanks for the pics and continued enjoyment of your Cayman
Old 02-24-2017, 06:49 PM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
Going tomorrow. I'm going to drive the base first. I'm almost certain it will have more than enough power for my drive around town needs, plus it falls more within my budget. If I'm happy with the power of the base, I may not even waste my time driving the S.
I think you will be happy with the Base. I am only test driving the S to satisfy my curiosity...I had a base 2008 997 a few years ago and I never missed not having an S. It was plenty for a semi DD.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a Boxster s 981 and can say that it's true that the fun ends pretty quickly. As soon as the engine begins to sing, your'e already way over the speed limit. Keeping the rpms up in the fun range while not exceeding the speed limit really takes away from things.

I chose the S because of my driving style and being used to more acceleration. My other car is a Lexus is350. Had I not gone to the 350, I'd probably have gone with the Boxster base. Once you get used to the power, it's hard to adjust down.

Matt
Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i opted for a new base cay in 09 after too many road tests at po dealers [imho the base was the smoothest riding]. If speed was a wish i would have stayed with corvettes or dropped 150k plus on a TT. I am old so the base is okay for me ,if torque monster pull is what you want find another brand than po.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice
Beautiful interior!! Love the 2 tone.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
No explanations necessary! If the Spyder wasn't getting seat time, then the desire to replace it with something that will is totally understandable. As I get older it makes less and less sense to me to hold on to stuff that just sits around and isn't getting used. Sounds like the Cayman is putting huge grins on your face, not just periodically but on a daily basis, and that's all that matters.

Great combo with the Agate and I'm betting it's very unusual to find this interior on a non-S. Nice find!

Thanks for the pics and continued enjoyment of your Cayman
You are welcome! The interior is one of the things that really attracted me to this car. I love Porsches that are different than the regular (no offense) black on black white on black etc... and this one really caught my eye. There is no other car on the road like it. Looking at official Porsche pictures it may have been a Porsche Launch Edition...

This car also present me with a definite problem when the 781 Spyder comes out. How do I option that one out? Will I pull the trigger have enjoying this car? Such first-world problems for us all...
Name:  porsche-cayman-2007-interior-wallpaper-2.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  258.1 KB
Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 AM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

You are welcome! The interior is one of the things that really attracted me to this car. I love Porsches that are different than the regular (no offense) black on black white on black etc... and this one really caught my eye. There is no other car on the road like it. Looking at official Porsche pictures it may have been a Porsche Launch Edition...

This car also present me with a definite problem when the 781 Spyder comes out. How do I option that one out? Will I pull the trigger have enjoying this car? Such first-world problems for us all...
Attachment 1138761
I totally agree! I love different as well. When I was younger I got basic Porsches...My first Porsche was a Boxster back in 1999...Basalt Black with gray full leather interior...then a 2008 997 in Atlas Gray with Sand Beige interior and my current 1988 944 Celebration Edition with plaid studio cloth seats...Love the seats in this car for their uniqueness. I guess that is why I have a hard time buying used...less chance to get colors and options I really want. But I am looking for used nonetheless...yes, first world problems indeed.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM
66mustang
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I am in a different opinion here. When I bought my first Boxster in 2011, it was a 2005 Base Boxster. It was all my budget allowed for. It was a manual transmission, and was fun to drive.

Everytime I saw a S, I would get envious of the red brakes, and more power.

I moved to a worse traffic area that made driving the manual terrible. So I sold it and started my search for a S with PDK and Sport Chrono. I figured if I was going to sell my car, and then pay $25K more for the same one, it should have the bigger engine and more option.

I am complety satisfied with my decision.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Jerry in Canada
Track Day

Beautiful car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base owner regrets???