Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking advise on Performance Modes for a 981 Spyder....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:00 AM
Rosseau
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advise on Performance Modes for a 981 Spyder....

I've read and have been inspired by the different performance modes that some of Forum members have done to increase HP & torque on their 981 Spyder or GT4.

I've decided to bite the bullet and do it, but wanted to seek advise from those that have done or thinking about doing the following modes which my Porsche dealer recommended/offered for my 981 Spyder:

- Cobb Accessport

- IPD Plenum/TB upgrade

- Fabspeed sport headers with cat. Converters Labour

- BMC Air Filters

My objective is to let the 991 S engine reach its full potential and provide more HP & torque that it is capable of. I hate that Porsche detuned/restricted/compromised the 981 Spyder/GT4.....

I won't be tracking the car (maybe once/year). I love the sound and wouldn't want it altered too much. But, I would like a bump in torque especially in the lower RPMs.

The question is should I go for all of the above at once or should I leave out some items as they may be an overkill for my purpose?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:41 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Reports suggest all of the above will do something, and it's probably headers then plenum then filter in terms of hardware impact, with the tune doing a nice job of tying it all together. Think of the tune like a multiplier. It will do more the more hardware changes you have. As to all at once or one at a time, I'd say they both have their own appeal.

You may find the nearly 700 posts on the matter here to be of use!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-718-forum/905069-spyder-modifications.html
Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck to you. I don't know what's up in Toronto but where I live I can barely tap into my old spyder powerband unless I want to risk a night in the iron house. Enjoy your Creemore springs, I wish I had some of those in the fridge.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Rosseau
Track Day

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Reports suggest all of the above will do something, and it's probably headers then plenum then filter in terms of hardware impact, with the tune doing a nice job of tying it all together. Think of the tune like a multiplier. It will do more the more hardware changes you have. As to all at once or one at a time, I'd say they both have their own appeal.

You may find the nearly 700 posts on the matter here to be of use!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...fications.html
MagicRat, thank you! It seems that you haven't added headers to your modes. Just curious to know if there are any particular reasons/concerns...

I think I will go with everything except the headers and then consider adding headers at a later time. Many thanks!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Rosseau
Track Day

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Good luck to you. I don't know what's up in Toronto but where I live I can barely tap into my old spyder powerband unless I want to risk a night in the iron house. Enjoy your Creemore springs, I wish I had some of those in the fridge.
Very sobering thought! Although, one always wants more than he needs just in cases. You have a very good taste in beer! When in Toronto, please PM me. I will be happy to bring you some Creemore and talk Porsches.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:01 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by Rosseau
Very sobering thought! Although, one always wants more than he needs just in cases. You have a very good taste in beer! When in Toronto, please PM me. I will be happy to bring you some Creemore and talk Porsches.
Your modes instead of mods is killing me. OCD.

Anyway i would skip the filter personally. And i think the biggest gain to be had is from the headers and tune.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:41 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rosseau
MagicRat, thank you! It seems that you haven't added headers to your modes. Just curious to know if there are any particular reasons/concerns...

I think I will go with everything except the headers and then consider adding headers at a later time. Many thanks!
No concerns - have Fabspeed headers on my 911 and like them fine. I just love the way the Spyder sounds out of the box and don't want to change it at the moment.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Kline headers , ipd, Cobb, didn't bother with Bmc, I would recommend doing those 3 your car will be much improved ! And you won't be able to stop smiling every time you drive her
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
I have Kline headers , ipd, Cobb, didn't bother with Bmc, I would recommend doing those 3 your car will be much improved ! And you won't be able to stop smiling every time you drive her
How would you describe the difference in sound from stock?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sound clip

Originally Posted by MagicRat
How would you describe the difference in sound from stock?
With flaps closed I can't say there is much difference but with them open noticeably louder and still has all the great crackles and pops from the exhaust

You will feel big difference and on the track she is a beast in sheeps clothing. I did a lot of track events this past year very few people even notice her until I blow by them then come after w a wtf , I smoked a gt350 he has slicks I had stock perrellis
Also drove a stock gt4 on the track the spyder w these three mods is noticeably faster

i would just go go ahead and do these three mods and call it day
Attached Files
Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Sport headers first... for sure 100% too many reasons to list. Then ipd and Cobb. You'll fall in love all over again.. unleash the beast within

Quick Reply: Seeking advise on Performance Modes for a 981 Spyder....