Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice: would you keep or return?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 AM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Looking for advice: would you keep or return?

I have a question for you guys, Im about 6 months into my 3 year lease on my GTS and I'm thinking ahead to the end of my lease where I want to buy the car (keep it for a number of years, enjoy and then eventually sell when the supply of good condition manual 981 cars are more scarce). About 2k miles in i took it into the dealership to have an engine noise checked out and they checked the oil among other things and found some metal fragments and decided to swap the entire engine under warranty. I wonder if this would affect the resale value of private buyers such as yourself or if it's not worth the headache and I return the lease at the end and try out a different car (thinking Macan as daily commuter, or the 991.2 GTS).

Opinions?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:51 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh man. Could you please describe what kind of noise, when it started, etc? And is it a 2015 or 2016 GTS? And does the car have 2K miles, or you drove it for 2K miles with the noise? If the latter, at how many miles it started? Please provide all the details you can, including your engine serial number, please. You can get it from any of the multiple VIN tags throughout your car (there's one on the hood, trunk, and doors). Thx.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were you I would try out the 991.2 GTS if you are not hell bent on having a mid engine car. That is one car I would love to try if I get bored with my Spyder and want something different.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I don't think it will affect the value at all. If anything, it will have a newer engine.
All of the 2014 GT3's had the engine replaced. Looking at sales posts, it does not look like it affects the value. They also got an extra 2 years of warranty, so that probably helps as well.

I wouldn't worry about it - 2 1/2 years is a ways off. Something else is sure to catch your eye by then.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:08 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the CarFax report in a few months.

You should be fine with resale.....UNLESS, the CarFax has a notation that says "engine replaced" or "TMU, True Mileage Unknown." Nobody wants a TMU notation on CarFax.

If all it says is "warranty work performed," then you are fine.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:01 PM
edkwon
Racer

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Oh man. Could you please describe what kind of noise, when it started, etc? And is it a 2015 or 2016 GTS? And does the car have 2K miles, or you drove it for 2K miles with the noise? If the latter, at how many miles it started? Please provide all the details you can, including your engine serial number, please. You can get it from any of the multiple VIN tags throughout your car (there's one on the hood, trunk, and doors). Thx.
2016 car, and the noise turned out to be a red herring, its a subtle ticking noise that I hear in the background, it was still there in the new engine and after the fact I rode in other people's 981 Cayman S and I heard the same sound. So the reason I took the car in to get checked out was no real reason at all. It was just sheer coincidence they found something.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
2016 car, and the noise turned out to be a red herring, its a subtle ticking noise that I hear in the background.
Thanks for your help brother, but could you please check out the thread below, and tell us if your noise was like that? Porsche is not going to replace an engine without some evidence like that IMO, but that's what we're trying to figure out: which noises are worrysome, and which aren't. Also what S/Ns are affected (more on that below).

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...ing-noise.html

My car is also 2016 (Cayman GTS), and I also hear a weird noise bouncing off parked cars and freeway walls with my window open. And it's not present on my brother's 2015 BGTS with identical mileage (6,3xx miles). Now that I started reading about 2016 cars with that disturbing noise, I want to pay closer attention. Finally, would you mind posting your engine S/N? Open your frunk, and look at the VIN tag on the right side. Mine is: G03727 (G denotes 2016). It's next to engine model, which is MA123E for my GTS (maybe the last letter is different for Ss, and for sure on 911 3.4s). And let us know if your noise was like the one linked above. Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As a buyer, I wouldn't care at all if it had a new engine put in. I'd be more concerned if they had repaired the one that was in it.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

When I exit my 13 base Boxster a 981 manual 6 spd B/GTS will be on the short list. Yes a replacement engine would be a no questions asked deal breaker for me. If I were in your situation I would enjoy the car and turn it in at the end of the lease.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
I have a question for you guys, Im about 6 months into my 3 year lease on my GTS and I'm thinking ahead to the end of my lease where I want to buy the car (keep it for a number of years, enjoy and then eventually sell when the supply of good condition manual 981 cars are more scarce). About 2k miles in i took it into the dealership to have an engine noise checked out and they checked the oil among other things and found some metal fragments and decided to swap the entire engine under warranty. I wonder if this would affect the resale value of private buyers such as yourself or if it's not worth the headache and I return the lease at the end and try out a different car (thinking Macan as daily commuter, or the 991.2 GTS).

Opinions?
Occasionally a new car develops a serious or even a not so serious engine problem and the factory elects to replace rather than repair. This is what the new car warranty (4 years, 50K miles) is for.

(Doesn't even have to be that new of a car. My 2003 996 Turbo under CPO warranty sometime in 2010 (and with maybe 30K+ miles on it had its 6-speed transmission replaced due to a leaking selector shaft seal. The Porsche dealer senior techs said it was no big deal to replace the seal but the factory said "no" to a repair and instead said "yes" to replace the transmission and followed through by shipping a new 6-speed from Germany.)

In the case of your car the noise could have been something relatively minor -- say a bad lifter -- but Porsche elected to replace the engine. This makes some sense as Porsche gets the engine back and can tear it down and perform some kind of postmortem on the engine to determine what went wrong and why and if this is due to something that needs more attention.

At the end of the lease you will know the car very well, how it was treated from day #1 and how it was driven, serviced. As a used car "purchase" it can't get much better than that.

So whether you elect keep the car or turn it in at the end of the lease period depends upon various factors but I don't think it should depend upon the fact the car received a replacement engine under its new car warranty unless of course you think it matters enough to reject the car. Obviously it is your money and your decision.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would wonder if the replacement engine was really "new", or just a refurbished, problematic engine from another customer. The good news is that you still have a couple years to use the car and should have an idea of its reliability before making the decision to keep it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Not that it's relevant but would a COA from Porsche also list the engine number and would a replacement engine have the correct number on it? I say not relevant because a GTS isn't a collector car.....at least not currently. Just curious really.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

If the engine swap is fully documented i would not care at resale. If not, turn it in at hte end of the lease.

buyers generally dislike undocumented changes particularly if they concern major parts
Old 02-23-2017, 12:20 AM
edkwon
Racer

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Thanks for your help brother, but could you please check out the thread below, and tell us if your noise was like that? Porsche is not going to replace an engine without some evidence like that IMO, but that's what we're trying to figure out: which noises are worrysome, and which aren't. Also what S/Ns are affected (more on that below).

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...ing-noise.html

My car is also 2016 (Cayman GTS), and I also hear a weird noise bouncing off parked cars and freeway walls with my window open. And it's not present on my brother's 2015 BGTS with identical mileage (6,3xx miles). Now that I started reading about 2016 cars with that disturbing noise, I want to pay closer attention. Finally, would you mind posting your engine S/N? Open your frunk, and look at the VIN tag on the right side. Mine is: G03727 (G denotes 2016). It's next to engine model, which is MA123E for my GTS (maybe the last letter is different for Ss, and for sure on 911 3.4s). And let us know if your noise was like the one linked above. Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, every time I actually drive the car I keep forgetting to look. Will try to remember next time I drive it.

Thanks for the input guys. It's not a decision I'll have to think about for a couple years so in the meantime I'll just drive and enjoy it.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM
robert090
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you that you have decided to keep it. It is so hard to decide whether you will end up and buy a new one because you will really think well about your finances. In your case, I think you have made the right choice here.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice: would you keep or return?