Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GTS Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Speeder757
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman GTS Help

Hi All,
New to the forum. I am looking to buy my first Porsche. I am a long time AMG and M series driver. I am hoping to gather some opinions and get a few questions answered. Mostly regarding options and equipment. I am looking at two different White 2016 Cayman GTS cars. Both have 5000-7000 miles on them. Neither car has PTV. Is that a necessary option? I would like to have limited slip but have read some negative comments on how the PTV wears out the rear brakes etc. Is there any must have options on a Cayman GTS that I should make sure a car has?

Car 1
PDK
Infotainment PKG
Convenience PKG
Power Steering Plus
20" Carrera Classic Wheels (not my favorite)
Orig MSRP about 86K

Car 2
PDK
Infotainment PKG
GTS Interior PKG Rhoduim Stiching
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus 18 Way with Memory
Premium PKG
Power Steering Plus
Smokers PKG
Park Assist Front/Rear with Back Up Camera
Wheels Painted in Black Satin (nicer look I think)
Orig MSRP about 94K

Car 2 is $7,000.00 more expensive than car 1. Curious what you guys all thought about the options on each car and if car 2 is worth paying the 7K extra due to the different options and higher MSRP.
Also curious what the consensus is on the Carrera Classic Wheels? I believe they were a upcharge on this car, but I think the Carrera S Wheels in Black looks nicer on a White car.

Thank-You
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Coming from a BMW E92 M3, I was looking for a performance sports car for the road (vs. track). I'm extremely happy with my low optioned CGTS. I have exactly zero of the options you list for either car. I do though have PTV. I'd recommend PTV for "spirited" driving on the twisties or on the track. If most of your driving will be commuting, cruising or you live in Florida, you won't need PTV. Brake wear is really a non-issue. White with black wheels is a great combination. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Speeder,

Options are pretty much personal preference

both cars have Infotainment so that's a wash
both have Power Steering Power Steering Plus (unnecessary but they both have it so it's a wash)

the second one has the upcharge interior with silver stitching and 18 way seats
great seats and will probably hold you in place better than the other car (assuming it has standard seats or 14 way)
these options are the bulk of the cost difference

the only real way to tell which you prefer is go sit in both type of seats and make a choice

the premium package includes auto dimming mirrors and bi-xenon headlights with PDLS on second car (more cost difference)

I think park assist isn't needed but some people like having it

if you're not locked in to those two particular cars, there are plenty of Cayman GTS cars available, some new being discounted heavily, saw one at $10k off

you might find one with fewer options or options more suitable to your preferences

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...list.ipl?cid=1
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The #2 would be a no-brainer to me, but to each his own. My only recommendation is DO NOT skimp on any options you want, or you'd regret it later, and it'd cost you WAY MORE than paying for the options right now. I can tell you PS+ is the way to go on these cars. Mine has it and my brother's doesn't, and it's way too hard. It detracts from the driving experience a little, especially in slow twisties. And both are used to driving cars without power steering at all. PS+ is not light at all. To me, the 18-ways are the best seats I've ever owned or sat on, and I have seat time in many much more expensive cars. Plus you get memory and power steering column. The other car has manual seats (except recline) and manual steering column, and no memory. My brother's car doesn't have PTV and mine does. You're not going to notice it unless you drive quite aggressively... but it's very nice to have it then. I'd also have preferrred just LSD and no PTV, but it's not a bad thing. And unless you're driving the car at its limits constantly, extra brake wear is not an issue. Remember read pads usually last longer, so it's actually a good way to wear them evenly, and change pads (and rotors on this car) all around (I always do that). And yes, park assist is stupid not to get it IMO, when a new bumper costs more than the option. I also like PP+ (entry and drive) a lot, but guess not a deal-breaker, since niether car has it. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Came from a BMW Z4m coupe and would highly recommend #2. When I was looking at speccing options it was easy to look at each option and question the value. Then I happened to run into a pretty high spec car and seeing it in person I'm so glad I didn't go for a stripper build. Unlike a BMW or merc, I think the base is shockingly well... Base. The GTS interior is a significant upgrade over the base interior which you will notice everytime you're in the car. Auto dimming mirrors and parking cameras should be standard, heck, I'm even glad I got the lighting package. I do also prefer the sports seats though the base sport seats (2 way?) were fine too.
Everyone is different but if I was parking the car wishing for a backup camera, I'd be more annoyed that I didn't buy the option than I would be comforted by the savings. Doubly annoyed if I stepped in to my car right after driving a rental kia for the week with an excellent backup camera.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Speeder757
AutoX

Thanks for all the replies guys. What is included in the Premium PKg Plus over the Premium Pkg? Is it just the Keyless Go? Push Start? Also I guess I could go the new route but those are also drying up. Not sure if I could even find a decent build on one of those.
Last question what do you guys think of GT Silver? Is it a true Silver or does it have a Champagne look to it? Hard to tell from the pictures. Please keep the opinions coming. Thanks Again
Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Everyone will give you different answers. The Cayman GTS comes with a lot of great options build in, like sports chrono, sports exhaust, full leather. You don't really need much more. I bought mine new, just the way I wanted. That meant no PDK and no other driver assist options like NAV, multiway seats, power assist steering, parking cameras etc. It is my daily driver, and I've done 3 HPDE days. It's a great car, no issues, fun fun fun to drive. I was on the fence about PTV, sorry I didn't get it, but only for snow (I have a steep long driveway...).
Old 02-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Yogi911
Racer

No brainer for me...Car 2

The deviated stitching adds a lot to the interior i think.

18 way seats add weight but are nice to have.

I think those 2 options alone are worth the 7k. Also it is hard to see out back in parking lots so camera and sensors are nice.

To andwer your question prem plus adds a few little things like interior lighting but the big thing is the keyless entry/start.

To me like i said. No brainer.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:14 PM
CaymanJonez
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Speeder757
Just got my used 15 GTS last week. I was going to go with standard seats but a friend who works at a dealer suggested I would be happy with the 18 ways. Very happy that I went that route.
On the GT Silver that is color I got and it is very silver...I have an X3 in mineral silver which now looks champagne next the Cayman.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:16 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be going with car #2 myself.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

GT silver is probably the best silver for a 981 (as well as carmine red is the best red), and both are the most expensive (non-PTS) paint options for a reason. Still remember picking up my 'silver' E92 M3, and to my dismay, it was baby blue. You won't be disappointed with GT silver. In fact, I don't think anybody would. It's awesome. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 PM
Speeder757
AutoX

Thanks guys. As someone suggested I am now looking at a few new cars. However it will be impossible to find a spec/build like I would have personally ordered. But that is to be expected this late in the game. Now that the cars have been out for sometime, what do you think about the S Pasm that comes standard on the GTS vs the X73 sport suspension option? How stiff is the Sport Suspension for everyday use? Also whats the consensus on the Power Steering Plus with the 20" wheels? Lastly what's your thoughts on the Turbo S Wheels? I guess they are the only wheel that is forged and they are also .5" wider front and rear even though they use the same size tires.
Thanks Again
Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by Speeder757
Thanks guys. As someone suggested I am now looking at a few new cars. However it will be impossible to find a spec/build like I would have personally ordered. But that is to be expected this late in the game. Now that the cars have been out for sometime, what do you think about the S Pasm that comes standard on the GTS vs the X73 sport suspension option? How stiff is the Sport Suspension for everyday use? Also whats the consensus on the Power Steering Plus with the 20" wheels? Lastly what's your thoughts on the Turbo S Wheels? I guess they are the only wheel that is forged and they are also .5" wider front and rear even though they use the same size tires. Thanks Again
First i like the turbo wheels but have always thought they looked too big on the cayman (even though still just 20"). But i have only seen pics. Also im pretty sure its just the rear that is .5 larger. The sport techno are as well.

After driving both i specifically got pasm. The x73 is more go cart like and regarded as the better handling/track suspension, and looks better since lower. However after driving it you will feel every expansion crack in the road. My pasm is buttery smooth and can be tightened when needed. Also less likely to scrape. I suggest you try both (doesnt have to be gts). If you cant find a pasm the "base" cayman/s suspension is closer to pasm than x73 IMO. If you only drive one, drive x73. Sports car like yes, firm, absolutely.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:36 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

If you've ever driven a BMW E92 M3, you'll find the X73 suspension more compliant. As far as the power steering plus, I'd avoid it unless you have problems parallel parking. It's variable depending on speed and I found it difficult as the effort seems inconsistent. The turbo s wheels are very nice and both front and back are wider than stock. I believe they are lighter as well. I didn't opt for them as I felt the price didn't justify any benefit.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Speeder757
AutoX

The suspension is so polorizing in this car. Some people love X73 and some people hate it.

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS Help