Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GTS Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Turbo wheels are the only forged option, and they're 0.5" wider front AND back, just like the sport technos. I have them in black, and they look incredible, but if I had ordered the car, would have balked at the $3K+ extra too. PS+ is a must on this car IMO. I was going to order it without it based on erroneous comments on most forums, but my car had it. And boy, was I glad it did. My brother's GTS doesn't have it, and it's excessively hard, detracting from the driving experience... and this is coming from 2 guys who are used driving non-assisted steering cars. PS+ is what Porsche designed the car with, but for some reason, US cars get the harder one standard. PS+ is not light at all. If you want light, drive a modern Ferrari. THAT is light. It's perfect on this car. The only difference is at slower speeds, like twisties. My brother will get it retrofitted, but it's a lot more expensive, due to dealers charging at least an hour labor to do it after buying it from Suncoast at $300. X73 is just awesome, but if you're going to use the car as a commuter, and not a sports car, then you might not like it. I would have never bought this car without X73 and PSE. It's a freaking sports car, and want it to feel and handle like one, wife be damned. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

PASM on the GTS is better - shows up in lap times
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
PASM on the GTS is better - shows up in lap times

Okay, can you back that up with facts and figures??
Old 02-20-2017, 09:40 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

PASM: Nice to have if some of your driving is on rough roads. And no worries with speed bumps and driveway entrances. I had a 06 Cayman S with stiff stock suspension, and it skittered over rough surfaces (frost heaves). Ask yourself why new 911s come with PASM (and sport PASM), and do not offer fixed dampers...

Never understood power steering plus (basically meant for parking maneuvers). I've never had issues turning the wheel of my GTS. I would recommend resistance training instead.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

GT Silver is a great color. While I wouldn't call it champagne, it does have a bit of Brown in it. It was on my short list for my car.

Have fun shopping.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 AM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
If you've ever driven a BMW E92 M3, you'll find the X73 suspension more compliant. As far as the power steering plus, I'd avoid it unless you have problems parallel parking. It's variable depending on speed and I found it difficult as the effort seems inconsistent. The turbo s wheels are very nice and both front and back are wider than stock. I believe they are lighter as well. I didn't opt for them as I felt the price didn't justify any benefit.
Totally disagree on that point. I drove my friend's E92 M3 coupe (his was stock) back to back with my X73 equipped GTS. The suspension on his car was far softer and body rolling in corners compared to mine.

The X73 suspension is fine for me on some of the smoother roads in LA, but on some of the rougher, more beaten up pavement (there is a LOT of that in metro LA) it can be unpleasant.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
Totally disagree on that point. I drove my friend's E92 M3 coupe (his was stock) back to back with my X73 equipped GTS. The suspension on his car was far softer and body rolling in corners compared to mine.

The X73 suspension is fine for me on some of the smoother roads in LA, but on some of the rougher, more beaten up pavement (there is a LOT of that in metro LA) it can be unpleasant.

Everyone to his own opinion. However, my M3 had the optional factory competition package. I'm willing to bet your friend's did not. I think it's only fair to compare apples to apples, ie. BMW competition package that included sport suspension and Porsches X73 sport suspension.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had CGTS with X73 and PTV. I think the X73 was fine on the street and very compliant on track. It wasn't jarring by any means on the street and it was also forgiving on track. I could really throw the car around with plenty of grip and nothing scary happened. In terms of brake pad wear, if you're on the street it's a non-issue. They'll last a long time and they're relatively inexpensive. Stock pads do not last very long on track and I would recommend switching to better track pad once you realize this yourself, if tracking the car is your purpose. Overall OP, I loved my CGTS and I would echo some of what others have said by seeing each car for yourself and drive them. You can't go wrong either way.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Donnie C
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea.. for me the X73 is the best... though the PASM is nothing to sneeze at.
sounds like a 1st world problem a bit.
D

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS Help