Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built in nav or mobile phone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 PM
icefrog_
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built in nav or mobile phone?

Hey everyone,

It seems to me that the price of approximately $1500 for the nav system is just ludicrous. Hence the question, can you justify this purchase or would you rather just use nav on your mobile phone?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I personally have never experienced a car based navigation system that works better than Waze in functionality or interface. Best part is that the phone based systems are updated for free and far more frequently than car based systems so they're more accurate.

Car Nav IMHO is a waste of money and just adds complexity to the car....something else to go wrong. Find a good ventilation based phone holder and a charging cord and use the phone when needed.

YMMV
Old 01-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money, use the phone.
I passed on it and do not regret it.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 PM
illini_Fan
4th Gear

I'm in the middle of the same decision. Are you guys talking about the
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)?

And without PCM you can't get Porsche Connect or Porsche Connect plus, right?

Thus if you skip PCM and use your phone, it won't be integrated with the dash display correct?

thanks
Old 01-24-2017, 04:29 AM
icefrog_
4th Gear

Originally Posted by illini_Fan
I'm in the middle of the same decision. Are you guys talking about the
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)?

And without PCM you can't get Porsche Connect or Porsche Connect plus, right?

Thus if you skip PCM and use your phone, it won't be integrated with the dash display correct?

thanks
I personally have an android phone and have no intention of switching to an apple(which is all Porsche connect has support for as far as I understand). Thus the plan is to use the phone independently from the car's interface anyway.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always get the Nav because 1500 dollars is not much to be honest. And some times I run out of juice on the phone so I can at least have something to fall back to.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
981spyder
Racer

if your getting a new car and have an iPhone just get the car play option ;-), I do not think 4000 for factory nav was worth it. but now with the new price structure 1500 doesn't sound bad.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM
illini_Fan
4th Gear

My understanding from the Porsche Configuration site is that Car Play is part of Connect Plus ($1,300) and that Connect Plus is available only with PCM with Navigation ($1,730).

So, if I am understanding the configuration site correctly, getting Apple Car Play is a $3,000 option. I'd be very interested to see if Car Play only was an option, but I'm not seeing that. Am I missing something?

thanks

Last edited by illini_Fan; 01-24-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 01-24-2017, 11:54 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to have the nav just to see where I am, but I use Google maps on a phone mount for actual navigating as Porsche navigation is dire.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:13 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Phone based nav is far better IMHO.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:30 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Here are my thoughts, build in navi is more convenient, no cords to worry about, suction cups, craddles, power issues, data usage or coverage issues. I for one hates anything loose in the cabin during spirited driving.

But I agree that most smart phone apps have far better user interface, traffic info, and more up to date features, plus integration with other apps for parking, restaurants, apple watch etc. Phones and apps are easily upgrade- able too. I hate it when build in navi looks outdated. A 2012 BMW idrive or PCM look ancient to me.

My guess is that Apple Carplay will be standard feature in most hi-line cars by 2019 model year. http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/
Old 01-24-2017, 01:41 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Porsche has done a nice job integrating the newer nav systems (I like the display on the right instrument dial that you can toggle to if needed). however, cell phone nav will always be better in some ways (voice recognition, integration with your contacts, waze traffic and po-po updates, etc). I have nav in my cayenne but not in the cayman. I adapt to both. Even money, I'd prefer the built-in nav, but agree that as a stand-alone upgrade, definitely not worth $1,500. Also, iof you go the cell phone route, check out the rennline cell phone mount. a bit pricey, but really nice design, robust, and sits perfectly between the display screen and the air vent. What I like best is being able to quickly rotate the phone back and forth from portrait orientation to landscape (for instance, if you want to watch a chris harris video on youtube... of course when not actively driving)

Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

To me it's a no-brainer to get nav on a Porsche. Not only because I HATE anything tacked-on inside the cabin, but because most buyers look for it as well, therefore it might hurt you on resale even more than that. You also get better resolution screen, BT, and even USB, if I remember correctly. USB is an absolute must-have for me as well. I learned the hard way to buy my fun cars the way I want to, or don't buy them at all. Lost way more than that for skimping on options based on 'value' offered, so bought this car loaded to the gills. If you really don't want any of the PCM features, then skip it. If even one, you'd almost for sure get your money back at resale.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

For me it is a no brainer, the other way around.

Expected lifetime of a P car (>20yrs) is incompatible with the expected lifetime of a factory navi (5-7 yrs). Plus the Porsche systems lack in sound quality and detail.

Better have a simple radio, swap it out for a aftermarket unit with apple car play, upgrade speakers, install a rear view camera whil you're at it and use your phone for connectivity, music, navigation etc.

Costs are similar, performance exceeds the factory system by far. No units tacked on your dash, power supply to your phone....if the unit is out of date simply replace it with a newer one. If you decide to sell the car, install the radio for factory look and feel.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 495 Posts

I have a 2009 Boxster S w/ Nav and never use it, due to its awkwardness. I use a Garmin instead.

Oddly enough, I just bought a Subaru Outback w/ Nav and it puts the Garmin to shame. Porsche should fire their Nav person and license Subaru's.

Quick Reply: Built in nav or mobile phone?