Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a "backwards" move- 911 Turbo to 987 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Considering a "backwards" move- 911 Turbo to 987 Cayman S

After having owned my "dream" car, a 997.1 Turbo, I'm considering getting a Cayman S instead. If I'm being completely honest with myself, my 911 is nothing more than an expensive toy. It's a 4th car between me and the wife, and I only drive it on nice days and to the Porsche meets and Cars & Coffees around my area.

That said, most of my driving in it is really tame, because you can't really use anything close to its limits legally. In talking with a lot of the other P guys, I have come to realize that if you live in the US (or anywhere that speed limits and traffic enforcement are prevalent), the only way to really enjoy your Porsche is to track it. I do not feel comfortable tracking this car. I've always heard it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I believe it, as my bone stock S2000 I had 10 years ago still remains one of the most fun cars I ever had--and I've had a lot of different sports cars. That, and the though of wrinkling up my Turbo by going off track or hitting a wall terrifies me. Not that it wouldn't bother me to wreck a Cayman, but it'd bother me less. Plus, maintenance and track parts would be cheaper too.

The idea that I can get a nice example for half what I'd be able to sell my Turbo for also makes me lean that way. So, I'm thinking of buying a 987 S, doing some basic track upgrades (brake pads, SS brake lines, good tires) and driving the car where it belongs... and still being able to take it to the PCA meetups and drive it on the backroads from time to time.

Anyone here happen to have owned a 911 (Turbo or otherwise) and made the switch? And no, keeping both is not an option I'm willing to do. I have enough cars.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:04 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

If you're going to get into the track hobby/sport then suggest look for a 09-12 987.2 model. Several improvements with the engine (no IMS, better oiling) vs the first gen. You can make some mods to the first gen cars, but the later models are more track worthy to start. My first Porsche was a 997.1 C2S. Moved to a 987.2 base (2.9l), then a Cayman R. No regrets. Very good track car to learn in.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Joel should chime in, he's had a TT and switched to a 987 Spyder.

I think you'll find the switch refreshing and the 987 is an amazing mid engine platform. Personally I think the 09 and newer models are also very undervalued, reliable engines with very good power curves, lightweight, visceral and focused drivers cars.

Go drive one.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 997 Turbo and sold it for similar reasons. Too expensive to maintain, would never track it and frankly it was a bit too much for public roads. I did floor it many times but I knew full well I was breaking the law and endangering myself and others (I was a young fool then. Same goes for some of the other cars I used to own.

The Cayman and Carrera S I own now are also too fast for public roads, but the great thing about the Cayman is you can't really tell that you are holding back at all due to lower HP and torque.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:49 PM
vbb
Pro

Thanks for the replies. So, 987.1 S or 987.2 Base? For track days and as a weekend toy? Prices are similar.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

987.2 Cayman all the way.

Infinitely more reliable and you will not notice the slight HP difference. Unless, of course, you are going to make your living driving this thing around a track.

I went through this (987.1 CS vs. 987.2 Cayman) in 2014 and decided on the latter for a lot of reason. My car ('09) has been about as close to perfect has a used car can be.

Good luck,

Eddie

Originally Posted by vbb
Thanks for the replies. So, 987.1 S or 987.2 Base? For track days and as a weekend toy? Prices are similar.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:51 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not buy a cayman R?

Probably a bit more expensive but it will hold it's value a lot better i gues

Hard to beat at the track, no need for upgrades..
Old 01-15-2017, 04:58 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on going to a 987.2 rather than 987.1. The new engine is the most important change but other things like resolving power steering heat issues were made. Track pads and tires are all you really need for the track but a number of people change out the LCAs for camber improvement.
Bern
Old 01-15-2017, 05:12 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
987.2 Cayman all the way.

Infinitely more reliable and you will not notice the slight HP difference. Unless, of course, you are going to make your living driving this thing around a track.

I went through this (987.1 CS vs. 987.2 Cayman) in 2014 and decided on the latter for a lot of reason. My car ('09) has been about as close to perfect has a used car can be.

Good luck,

Eddie
Definitely not trying to get on the NASA circuit or Club racing... just something as a fun hobby maybe 3-4x a year. My daily is a truck, so I could even tow the car to the track "just in case" something happens and I can't drive it home (though for the closer track I'll probably just drive there in the car). So, no, the slight HP difference isn't an issue with me at all. I've had high HP cars, including my current 997TT, and while it is fun to make people's neck snap back when launching from a stoplight, it's not really useful, and nowhere near as fun as ripping even a slower car around some back twisty roads. I though the upgrades in the CS vs. the Base made it more track worthy out of the box, but I suppose a 2009 Base would be all I could handle or need as a track novice. Pads and tires and fresh brake fluid is all I need, right?

Originally Posted by bassie81
Why not buy a cayman R?

Probably a bit more expensive but it will hold it's value a lot better i gues

Hard to beat at the track, no need for upgrades..
I hear you, but then we're getting closer to the price of my current car and that's not exactly what I'm trying to do. In a way, I kind of enjoy the challenge of not only having a bit slower car, but working with it and tweaking it to make it faster. It would be a real hobby... and some of the fun would be in the build as I get more skilled. If I really take to it and decide I'm all in on the track, then yes, I could see upgrading to an R, or maaaaybe even a GT4 down the road, but for now, I'm trying to keep costs relatively low so I can get something to learn on.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

A base 2009 with the DFI is definitely the way to go if you want to improve as you go and have a reliable foundation.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 997TT and i just bought a cayman gts a couple months ago. Man the cayman sure is fun to drive. Like you i lose enjoyment while driving the 997tt due to the fact i feel im always holding back or fearful of speeding tickets. The cayman is a lot more fun to putz around town in. I dont think you will miss the 911 if you make the switch.

One more thing to add is i dont remember you saying whether you were getting a manual or auto. If auto i think the 987.2 is a must since it has PDK.

Also not trying to push finance advice on you but i think the extra money is worth it for a 981 base or S. The 981 S can easily be had <55k which is still much cheaper than your 997tt and i suspect the base 981 is even cheaper. Not so much a consideration if it is just a track car but I like the ext/int look a lot more in the newer cars and it still retains same driving personality. Only big difference is electric vs hyd steering.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
A base 2009 with the DFI is definitely the way to go if you want to improve as you go and have a reliable foundation.
'09-'12 base 2.9 9A1's aren't DFI
Old 01-15-2017, 09:45 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Definitely not trying to get on the NASA circuit or Club racing... just something as a fun hobby maybe 3-4x a year. My daily is a truck, so I could even tow the car to the track "just in case" something happens and I can't drive it home (though for the closer track I'll probably just drive there in the car). So, no, the slight HP difference isn't an issue with me at all. I've had high HP cars, including my current 997TT, and while it is fun to make people's neck snap back when launching from a stoplight, it's not really useful, and nowhere near as fun as ripping even a slower car around some back twisty roads. I though the upgrades in the CS vs. the Base made it more track worthy out of the box, but I suppose a 2009 Base would be all I could handle or need as a track novice. Pads and tires and fresh brake fluid is all I need, right?

I hear you, but then we're getting closer to the price of my current car and that's not exactly what I'm trying to do. In a way, I kind of enjoy the challenge of not only having a bit slower car, but working with it and tweaking it to make it faster. It would be a real hobby... and some of the fun would be in the build as I get more skilled. If I really take to it and decide I'm all in on the track, then yes, I could see upgrading to an R, or maaaaybe even a GT4 down the road, but for now, I'm trying to keep costs relatively low so I can get something to learn on.
Nothing wrong with a base. I once saw a Hyundai Accent set the fastest lap on a time attack day, beating a couple of Ferraris and Turbos If you were to start off racing professionally today, they would stick you in a car with 150hp and you'd have to race that thing for at least an entire year before they'd move you up a class.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Nothing wrong with a base. I once saw a Hyundai Accent set the fastest lap on a time attack day, beating a couple of Ferraris and Turbos If you were to start off racing professionally today, they would stick you in a car with 150hp and you'd have to race that thing for at least an entire year before they'd move you up a class.
That's another reason I'm looking to sell the Turbo and get a Cayman. The Turbo is more car than I need to have fun with and learn on the track. I was actually even considering getting another S2000 again and just tracking that, but I've grown spoiled with the Porsche brand and comradery. The serious track guys in my local chapter of the PCA all say the Cayman is super well balanced and more than enough for the track.

I am still trying to decide/research how prevalent the problems with the 987.1 are. Getting mixed information. Some say the cars are totally fine and don't need anything as long as you aren't running R-comps and pulling high Gs... others act like oil starvation or power steering failures are bound to happen even with a few DEs.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:21 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
After having owned my "dream" car, a 997.1 Turbo, I'm considering getting a Cayman S instead. If I'm being completely honest with myself, my 911 is nothing more than an expensive toy. It's a 4th car between me and the wife, and I only drive it on nice days and to the Porsche meets and Cars & Coffees around my area.

That said, most of my driving in it is really tame, because you can't really use anything close to its limits legally. In talking with a lot of the other P guys, I have come to realize that if you live in the US (or anywhere that speed limits and traffic enforcement are prevalent), the only way to really enjoy your Porsche is to track it. I do not feel comfortable tracking this car. I've always heard it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I believe it, as my bone stock S2000 I had 10 years ago still remains one of the most fun cars I ever had--and I've had a lot of different sports cars. That, and the though of wrinkling up my Turbo by going off track or hitting a wall terrifies me. Not that it wouldn't bother me to wreck a Cayman, but it'd bother me less. Plus, maintenance and track parts would be cheaper too.

The idea that I can get a nice example for half what I'd be able to sell my Turbo for also makes me lean that way. So, I'm thinking of buying a 987 S, doing some basic track upgrades (brake pads, SS brake lines, good tires) and driving the car where it belongs... and still being able to take it to the PCA meetups and drive it on the backroads from time to time.

Anyone here happen to have owned a 911 (Turbo or otherwise) and made the switch? And no, keeping both is not an option I'm willing to do. I have enough cars.

Funny enough I'm switching from 981 (GT4) to a 991.2 TT.

Yes, slow car fast is true to an extent. But then again, cheap thrills are easy when you have torque. It can be frustrating being unable to really wind out the car driving around town - do you want to regularly wind it out >5000RPM? To be honest, it does sometimes get a little old. I think a lot depends on your roads -- if you have ready access to great windy driving roads, then I think the calculus changes on that.

Of course, I'm changing as much to get a back seat and something a little different. Like you, I used to own an s2000 and every car I've owned has been similarly high strung - I'm looking for a little muscle as a change of pace.

Grass is always greener and I will miss aspects of the GT4. It can't be helped. The obvious and expensive solution is to have both. For me - completely impossible.

Quick Reply: Considering a "backwards" move- 911 Turbo to 987 Cayman S