Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman or Porsche 911? How did you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:54 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blessed to have both.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Like many posting here, I've owned multiple 997s (C4S, CS, and T4S). I've also "owned" a 991.2 CS for about a month. I took it back, and got a Cayman GTS. Although I threw away a lot of money in the process, I never bonded with the 2017 CS. It was just too much car in many ways: too fast for street fun, too big, and definitely too expensive. I just never felt comfortable in it. Like Zeus 993, I think the 911 is now a fabulous GT car. The Cayman GTS seems like the perfect sports car for street use. Sure, it's considerably less powerful than the new 911. But, it is a beautiful car, one of the best looking P-cars ever in my opinion, and it's plenty fun to drive with a very good manual transmission. I don't think I'm a purist by any means, but I love the sound of the normally aspirated flat six. The new 911 sounded awesome in its own way, but it did not sound like any Porsche I was accustomed to. The Cayman is just a blast to drive, and I don't worry so much about the inevitable damage from road debris and careless motorists that made me paranoid in the extreme when driving the 991.2. Well, ok, I still worry a little bit. Haha. Anyway, I loved my 997s too, but I think the Cayman fits me like a glove. Some day I may go back to the 911, but I'm completely satisfied with the Cayman I have now.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
Blessed to have both.
Indeed!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
I bought a GT4 but I would have bought a GT3 had I been able to save another 50k lol. Both are solid cars. From my long string of M3's I really do see why the Porsche platform is so great. Not that there was much or anything wrong with my Ms but both the Cayman and 911 are just better.
If both the GT3 and GT4 had the same engine and were the same price I'd take the GT4. If anything, I'd pay more since the 981 feels like the more exciting mid-engine sports car and the 991 the grand tourer with it's back seats, lift, extra weight, etc.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you to everyone who took the time to watch the video and respond! its pretty hard for a smaller youtuber like myself to even get people to watch any of my videos. I know they aren't the best in terms of production value, but I knew nothing about video and editing when I first started so I am still a work in progress!

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
Blessed to have both.
Same. While this thread is obviously just a troll for YouTube views, I'll play.

Owned both simultaneously (C2S and CS) for about 18 months (with a 981 Spyder as well for 7 of those). Both great, great cars. However, if one defines better in black/white terms, i.e., performance, space, comfort, the 991 wins hands down. It's when you start throwing in the intangibles around experience and preference that it becomes a toss up. Loved driving both of them, but when one had to go, it was the Cayman that went and the Carrera that stayed.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Hey Archimedes how am I trolling?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

only way to decide is to test drive both... so many variables go into that decision, and most will be influenced by your current needs/wants (whether it's a dialer driver, weekend, toy, whether you need the back seat for kids), no-one will be able to decide for you. I've had 15 different P-cars over the years including 4 boxsters, 4 caymans, and many 911's (each had its own place and time). In the current market, bang for buck, it's hard to beat a used 981 S. In fact, I was on the hunt for a 991S, but ended up buying a 2015 Cayman S less than a month ago. I absolutely love this car and have no regrets (except perhaps that I didn't buy a GT4)
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UCTeeth
Hey Archimedes how am I trolling?
I didn't realize until after I had responded, but you had put up the video before you even posted, so what we have to say on this forum has absolutely nothing to do with what you put on your video.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caymannyc
I didn't realize until after I had responded, but you had put up the video before you even posted, so what we have to say on this forum has absolutely nothing to do with what you put on your video.

I was trying to see if you would discuss, agree or disagree with the things on the video. Thats what I though the forums would be used for (discussion) especially for a youtuber like myself who produces mostly Cayman Related video. I didn't know that would be considered trolling I can remove the video if you want
Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UCTeeth
I was trying to see if you would discuss, agree or disagree with the things on the video. Thats what I though the forums would be used for (discussion) especially for a youtuber like myself who produces mostly Cayman Related video. I didn't know that would be considered trolling I can remove the video if you want
Lol don't worry about it! I am a youngster myself and i watch all your vids. Just saying, I think the rennlist community would appreciate your videos more if you had posted this first, gathered some thoughts and THEN made the video.

btw, think its great you are putting yourself out there showing your love for the cars.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

My troll comment was meant in passing, not as a biting critique. From time to tim this forum get's people trolling for YouTube and/or blog views, so when I see a first post like that with a link to a video, I immediately think...
Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
btw, think its great you are putting yourself out there showing your love for the cars.
+1

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman or Porsche 911? How did you choose?