Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:00 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I'm kicking myself at the moment for not doing it when I ordered the second one lol.
Know what you mean, had a '10 S, never used AC or radio, then had the opportunity to order an R the way I wanted it.
Love the car and the feel! There are many additional places to remove weight in the car, PM me if you get one, I have just about everything weighed.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:00 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

In the PNW a/c is just added weight and I have never missed it for even a day on my daily driver. But agreed resale is certainly a problem. My spyder is a keeper so I am good. Find me a car thats more bang for the buck than my 60K spyder and then I may change my mind.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:25 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Currently on my second 987 Spyder.

First car had LWB, PDK, A/C and radio.

Specifically looked and found the right car (for me) manual (short shifter), LWB, A/C & radio delete.

I'm extremely happy. The main difference (for me) that has improved driving experience is the manual shifter. I have a voltphreaks lithium battery which saves some additional weight but to save even more could benefit from going on a diet myself LOL

Do I notice the weight difference? not sure as the car is so light and balanced to begin with; its just such an amazing drivers car. Personally I like the fact that this is a stripped down Spyder that is true to the way it was developed and it makes me appreciate my car more. I'm sure any weight savings from A/C and radio delete in 981 makes zero difference in performance due to the much more powerful engine and is more of a novelty as Porsche eased up on the super bare bones approach by abandoning the floppy top, having cup holders and door storage etc.

I have other cars so this one is enjoyed on nicer days with either the top off or with the bimini top on and the back piece removed and windows down. A winter car for Florida. No doubt deleting A/C and radio makes an already limited utility vehicle even less practical and may actually take way driving enjoyment if this is a daily driven car or the only weekend car by further limiting days it can be driven
Old 01-19-2017, 11:15 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

I ordered mine without it and have never missed it. Given the ethos of this car it makes sense to me.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

I would have to say it depends on where you live (climate) and if you are interested in resale value. Our Spyder didn't have AC but we didn't care, but when it came time to sell it, it was at the bottom of the market (it was also PDK). We still miss that car!

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Couldn't do AC delete. Radio sure, AC nope.

Quick Reply: A/C Delete?