Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi-xenon headlights very dim

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 AM
LORDLODOSS
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-xenon headlights very dim

Greetings all.

Recently picked up an RS60 and been enjoying when the weather permits it. One option I always demand to have on all my cars is xenon/led headlights. I have not seen people talk too much about this so I am assuming this might just be an issue with my car somewhere.

The Bi-xenons are really dim. I see Halogen cars passing by me with a more intense light. The OEM Porsche projectors does have a very wide beam but it does not compare to any Xenon cars I have had before in terms of overall illumination. Below are all the things I have checked/tried to see where the issue might be.

1. Purchased some OSRAM CBIs (Amazon - checked out on OSRAM site) to replace the Philips 85122 OEM bulbs (could be original) and notice only a slight improvement. (maybe they are still fake?)

2. Adjusted the lights so they aiming correctly.

3. Both lights are dim so I don't think it is an issue with the Denso ballast. Thought about switching to 55 watts but afraid of it destroying the projector bowl. The Slim Denso ballast are suppose to be some of the best OEM so I can't see them as the cause.

4. Pulled the projector bowls out and everything is nice and shiny in there.

5. Cleaned the lens from the inside and it looks a little hazy but not that bad. Most likely it is the outside portion.

Beyond what I have done myself. I have checked with numerous custom retro places and they are all stating that they don't offer any service for the bi-xenon.

The only options that are left is to bake/open them up and do the retro myself or buy the ones on sale on ebay for 1100.. That is pretty pricey for some plastic.

The LED taillights were only 450 and they include all the hardware etc so it is hard to justify the headlight cost.

Does anyone else have this issue? I am thinking about finding another cayman/boxster with bi-xenons and do a side by side comparison.

I wish someone in this forum with experience doing retros would be willing to do the work for me. I just can't stand driving it in the night with these subpar lights..
Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe find a PDLS bi-xenon headlight assembly? On my GT4 the PDLS lighting option upgrades the lighting to 35 watts from the standard bi-xenon 25 watt system.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 PM
LORDLODOSS
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for replying.

This is an 08 so PDLS was never an option I believe. All Bi-xenon in US got the 35W version is my understanding.

Quick Reply: Bi-xenon headlights very dim