Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 RS steering wheel in a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GT3 RS steering wheel in a GTS?

Ok long shot if anyone knows but here goes...

I had a gt3 rs steering wheel in my gt3. Plug and play no issues. Like the smaller diameter and shifters.

Looks like the paddle steering wheel in the cayman gts is the same as the original wheel in my gt3.

Sooo, what are the odds the gt3 rs steering wheel and airbags are a direct swap? My guess is with the way Porsche shares parts it should be a direct swap.

thoughts?
Old 01-04-2017, 02:01 AM
schweez
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been looking into this from the moment I got my GTS. Steering wheel is just too big for my liking. I know it's been done on a GT3 and the forum member told me he really liked the switch (and was able to resale it when he sold his gt3). I had a Porsche dealership look into it heavily a few months ago and the service rep told me it's not "recommended" by Porsche -- but never said it can't be done. He essentially told me that for liability reasons Porsche has no insentive to support the swap -- but as a mechanic for Porsche he saw no reason why it wouldn't work. Ultimately his boss said he couldn't do the swap (or i would have bought it from him). I've spoken to a few Porsche speciality shops out here in Los Angeles (and nocal) who say they'll do the swap. Now it's just a matter of buying the wheel (with airbag) and seeing if I can do it myself. Seems pretty simple according to previous posts but I'm not as car savvy as some of you guys.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I checked if I could change the Sport Design wheel in my (M/T - no paddles) GTS to the thinner rim wheel from GT4 (likewise M/T). The dealer investigated and the cost ended up in >3500€ in parts alone... I think that's a creative way to not encourage the swap
Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 AM
schweez
Rennlist Member

Yeah it's a pricey option. But steering feel is big (at least with me). Plus I feel like the resale on that would reach out to the gt3rs market -- who have more disposable money I suppose.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Well I already have the wheel and bag from when I sold my gt3.
My GTS will be there this week and Ill give it a shot and update the thread.

im still betting on Porsche parts sharing. IE the gt3 and gts wheels are the same so if the RS wheel plugged into the gt3 should plug right into the gts.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryun43
IE the gt3 and gts wheels are the same, so if the RS wheel plugged into the gt3, should plug right into the gts.
I'd bet the same. Cabins are almost identical, so it'd be a big surprise if the steering wheel base is not the same. And even the airbag. But please take a picture of the GTS wheel against the RS wheel resting on a table to see the total diameter difference. I'm also curious if it blocks more of the gauges, and if the paddles feel any different. Paddles are supposed to be sharper, but I tried them on my buddy's RS (but did not drive the car), and couldn't feel a noticeable difference. The steering wheel on my '16 GTS already blocks the top of the tacho where I like it, and wouldn't want any more. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:15 AM
schweez
Rennlist Member

You are the man Ryun43. There always has to be someone brave enough to be the first! Glad it's you.....Really looking forward to hearing how it goes. And yes -- please post pics of them side by side if you can. I've been looking for a gt3rs at a dealership around me to sit in. Just to see if I notice a difference. Those salesman will sniff me out quick as non buyer though....

I got the $ for the wheel and just waiting to pull the trigger. You'll really help my decision.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Installed the wheel this morning.
straight forward swap. no lights or issues. Just like the install in my gt3.

I prefer the look and the smaller shape. The paddles are a good bit smaller so be sure you are good with that. The throw is also shorter on the paddles. I wouldnt say better or worse but it is noticable.

you will need the air bag to match

Here are some pics.
Attached Images     
Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the wheel this morning. straight forward swap. no lights or issues. Just like the install in my gt3. I prefer the look and the smaller shape. The paddles are a good bit smaller so be sure you are good with that. The throw is also shorter on the paddles. I wouldnt say better or worse but it is noticable. you will need the air bag to match Here are some pics.
Wow that looks good. Let us know if it changes how it drives.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:20 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hey, forgot to put both wheels facing each other over the table, to see exactly the difference in diameter. Oh well. Looks like 1/2" at best, from the pics.

Few observations/questions:
-The original PD wheel has 'sport', 'sport plus', and 'launch control' on the steering wheel. You'll need some kind of coding to bring them back to the dash, no?
- Is the airbag the same on both cars, even though the opening seems smaller on the RS wheel?
- Any more obstruction of the tach with the new wheel?

Thanks a lot for those pics. I don't like the new wheel enough to warrant a chance. Besides, I want it in leather, not alcantara, plus the bigger paddles, so guess that seals the deal to keep my original. Take care.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 PM
schweez
Rennlist Member

Fine work. Looks great. Please update on the driving experience. And whether it is noticeably smaller. I've always found it odd how big Porsche Steering Wheels are (diameter wise). Even when driving my buddies '86 911. He eventually swapped it out too.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
schweez
Rennlist Member

So pulled the trigger and bought a GT3RS Steering Wheel and airbag. Had it installed on my cayman GTS. Not cheap. Was really concerned that the size and feel wouldn't be noticble enough -- but just couldn't get over the size of the standard wheel. I've bounced back and forth between Porsche and Lotus -- and the Brits just got that figured out (wheel size and feedback). I'm happy to say that I'm completely satisfied with the wheel. The diameter is noticible. The shifts are quicker (shorter throw). And it just feels tighter and sportier. Transforms the car for me because steering feel is very important (to me) -- and it's the area you interact with the most. Anyway -- if you're thinking of it, I give it a thumbs up.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

They don't use the same airbag??? Middle section looks identical, but maybe I'm wrong. But yes, the freaking airbag must make it way more expensive. May I ask how much total? And did you measure the diameter difference? From the pictures posted above, rim diameter look identical to my oldish (55) eyes. Only the middle section looks smaller (giving the impression of a smaller wheel), and probably the reason for a different airbag (if that's the case). Thx.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:30 PM
schweez
Rennlist Member

Give or take $4k! Shipping and installation. Including the airbag. Yes it's a different airbag which is smaller. From what I've been told the wheel is approx. 15 mm smaller in diameter (370 mm to 355 mm I believe). But somehow it feels even smaller. The concave look helps. The smaller airbag. Plus -- that little difference is huge when you have long lanky legs like me. I was hitting my knees when turning. Size is objective (theoretically) but feel is subjective. For me there are no regrets. Hey -- it's cheaper than fancy rims.....
Old 06-09-2017, 01:00 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Installed the wheel this morning.
straight forward swap. no lights or issues. Just like the install in my gt3.

I prefer the look and the smaller shape. The paddles are a good bit smaller so be sure you are good with that. The throw is also shorter on the paddles. I wouldnt say better or worse but it is noticable.

you will need the air bag to match

Here are some pics.
looks amazing!

Quick Reply: GT3 RS steering wheel in a GTS?