Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye 911 - Hi Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:05 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Volnomad
After several years of driving gently pre-owned 911 P-cars, I saw a Cayman GTS with MT and only 2400 miles that I loved and decided to try something different for awhile. Have to say, I really love it. Fits me like a glove. Right-sized, I would say, unlike the 991 model 911 cars that have grown to GT car length and width (no offense to 991 owners; I like them too). Here's a dealer photo to prove it to you skeptics out there!

I'm driving a 991.1 C4S (power kit, SPASM, PDK, PTV, etc) and a Cayman GTS (manual, analog sport suspension, absolutely no PTV). The Cayman is the better 911.
The Cayman wins handling, sound, design (exterior and interior), and "sports car size" categories. The 991 wins the power and the "incredible grip when accelerating out of a turn" categories. I love both, but prefer the Cayman.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Greywolf987S
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations .. Caymans are wonderful
Old 12-25-2016, 10:19 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Enjoy! Looks great
Old 12-26-2016, 12:48 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

Just beautiful! Congrats!

The Cayman GTS was the first, and most fun Porsche I ever drove. I have a GT4, but the limits are so high, that it's difficult to enjoy it on public roads. I'm very tempted to get a lightly used GTS, and drive it non-stop
Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 AM
master_jcp
Instructor

Great car! Love the combo of the Color and the wheels! Very unique! Never seen it before. My neighbour changed also from 987.1 CS to 997.2 C4S to 991.1 C4S back to a Cayman 981.1 GTS 2 month ago.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:26 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Congrats and absolutely beautiful car, now that you have it, first thing you need to replace are those ugly orange sidemarkers

http://suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991LEDSIDES.html
Old 12-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Congratulations! That's a great looking car!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edkwon
Congrats and absolutely beautiful car, now that you have it, first thing you need to replace are those ugly orange sidemarkers

http://suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991LEDSIDES.html
Yeah, I know the "norm" about the orange side markers. I don't like them either; so they'll be gone soon.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations, Volnomad (and, Yogi911). NA + MT is a good move. GTS is always a smart choice. You get a bunch of tasty options for a decent price.

Yeah, would be great to read about the comparison of GTS and 718 S .
Thanks for the congrats everyone!

Yes, my wife's 718 Boxster S looks and feels substantially different to me compared to my 981 Cayman GTS. Appearance wise, the differences are not so subtle when you see the cars together. Porsche added many angular/planar surfaces to the 718, replacing the more rounded look of the older model. The side air intakes are larger and more prominent on the 718. The rear actually looks better in my opinion. I like how the 718 extends a line across the rear connecting the taillights. All things considered, the 718 S looks more aggressive than the 981 S it replaced. The GTS compensates some for the less aggressive body-style by adding a GTS exterior package that substantially enhances the car's appearance, particularly in the front with very nice looking black trim pieces below the bumper cover. The downside is that the car is more likely to scrape and bottom out on driveways and curb cuts. It looks significantly lower in front than the 718 Cayman S. I like both of them, but the GTS exterior pieces and my much nicer interior makes mine a more beautiful ride in my opinion. Even my wife agrees that the interior of the GTS is much nicer. Of course, she does not have full leather (or Alcantara and carbon fiber).

Performance-wise the cars are quite different as well. The first thing I noticed was the sound, of course. Much has been written about this; so I won't beat a dead horse. But, for me, the flat-six with sport exhaust wins hands down when it comes to engine sounds. Nothing beats the wail of a flat six pushing red line! The second thing I noticed was the clutch differences. I'm not sure if it's a matter of how the clutch is adjusted or not, but I really struggled to adjust to the clutch in the 718. It feels lighter to me than any P-car clutch I have used, and the clutch engagement point is unusually vague. This leads to frequent over-revs on roll out, or to the occasional stall. I've been driving manual transmissions all my life; so I don't think this is my imagination. Engine performance is quite different as well. The older flat six has it's usual lower torque characteristics. You have to keep the RPMs up to get the big kick in the butt. The 718 feels like a rubber band. When the turbo boost hits, hold on. Turbo lag is relatively small, but still somewhat noticeable, particularly at low RPM. Still, I'm sure the 718 S is faster than the previous generation GTS. In fact, I'm certain it is faster than all the 911 Ss I've had with the possible exception of the 997.2 C4S. It is a seriously quick car. We got to experience one in Atlanta on the test track at the Porsche Experience Center when my wife took delivery in September. The track capability of the 718 S is simply astounding.

Anyway, that's my two-cents worth. Overall, I like my GTS better, but the 718 S is a fine sports car. I was seriously tempted to buy a new 718 Cayman S in Miami Blue. But, I'm happy to have the last and best of the naturally aspirated flat-six Caymans (excepting GT4 of course).

P.S. A P-car salesman says the rumor is that the next Cayman GTS will have a naturally aspirated flat-six.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Donnie C
Track Day

Nice comparison of the 718 and GTS.
One thought... add grill screens to the GTS... that center intake for the 3rd radiator just looks like it will suck every pebble and bug. My grill screen has already saved me having to clean a bunch of rocks and a bird out of the radiators. I used the Zunsport screens -- installation is easy but takes a nack to get right.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by Donnie C
Nice comparison of the 718 and GTS.
One thought... add grill screens to the GTS... that center intake for the 3rd radiator just looks like it will suck every pebble and bug. My grill screen has already saved me having to clean a bunch of rocks and a bird out of the radiators. I used the Zunsport screens -- installation is easy but takes a nack to get right.
Yeah, I've already had to dig leaves out of the intakes twice. I will check out the Sunsport screens. Thanks for the suggestion. Need to replace the side marker lights too.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Great write up Volnomad! Having both cars certainly takes any bias out of the equation. Interior differences aside (this will always be dependent on the options selected) it sounds like both cars have their positive qualities.

Since you have driven the 718 on the track have you found that the turbo 4 maintains its powerband throughout the rev range or do you need to short shift before redline? I haven't had a chance to drive a manual yet or was I able to wring one out so its something I have been curious about. I say this because all the turbo's I have owned have a specific range where the turbo's operate and when on boost the power is incredible but once above or below certain RPM's I have found dead spots. Porsche having a ton of Motorsport experience would be the best at solving this and I wonder if that knowledge has made its way into the 718.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Volnomad
Performance-wise the cars are quite different as well.
You didn't mention anything about suspensions. Which one do you have on the GTS and 718? That makes a huge difference at the track. I have X73 with all other performance options, and doubt the heavier 718 can be any better (just handling, not power), but it'd be nice to hear a comparison. The steering (PS+, which is the German steering) is absolutely perfect IMO, and don't want it any quicker, lighter, or heavier. Also curious about what you think about that. Thx.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Since you have driven the 718 on the track have you found that the turbo 4 maintains its powerband throughout the rev range or do you need to short shift before redline? Porsche having a ton of Motorsport experience would be the best at solving this and I wonder if that knowledge has made its way into the 718.
Nope, it was a demo PDK equipped 718S, not my wife's car. Her's is a 6-speed manual. I only got two hot laps in the demo; so I really don't feel like I have the answer to your question.

Last edited by Volnomad; 12-30-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by elp_jc
You didn't mention anything about suspensions. Which one do you have on the GTS and 718? That makes a huge difference at the track. I have X73 with all other performance options, and doubt the heavier 718 can be any better (just handling, not power), but it'd be nice to hear a comparison. The steering (PS+, which is the German steering) is absolutely perfect IMO, and don't want it any quicker, lighter, or heavier. Also curious about what you think about that. Thx.
My GTS also has PASM Sport Suspension, like yours, but no PTV. Her 718S was not built for performance. It has sport chrono but I think that only gives you the fun throttle mapping adjustments and dynamic engine mounts. She did not add PASM for some reason.

Quick Reply: Bye 911 - Hi Cayman GTS