Sponsored by:

718 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 Purchase

Hello--looking to purchase a 718 this spring. I would like to get some feedback on my build. Not really sure about the Guards Red. A friend of mine told me he doesn't think that the two tone black and luxor beige interior works with Guards. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Here is the code.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHAI1ZB0
Old 12-20-2016, 06:22 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallatin
Hello--looking to purchase a 718 this spring. I would like to get some feedback on my build. Not really sure about the Guards Red. A friend of mine told me he doesn't think that the two tone black and luxor beige interior works with Guards. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Here is the code.
why would you buy something based on what others think.. are you paying for and using the car or are they? Are you buying the car for yourself, or for others to appreciate and praise?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't share your friend's opinion about the two-tone Luxor Beige/Black interior. I think it would go fine with Guards Red and say go for it if it appeals to you.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Yes--I will ultimately decide what I buy and why I buy it. It also never hurts to get opinions from what I consider to be an informed group.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I don't share your friend's opinion about the two-tone Luxor Beige/Black interior. I think it would go fine with Guards Red and say go for it if it appeals to you.
Ditto. the two tone is better looking than the plain Luxor beige as well IMO.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks great. I'm a big fan of two- tone black plus x. I used to think that all German cars should have a black dash, but I've softened on that a bit.....when it's all red we're talking about. All beige........kind of boring on a Porsche sports car, imo. My only comment is that $3200 saved if you go with mt could pay for some fun stuff. Also, the 6 speed gearbox in the Boxster and Cayman are really nice to drive....might be one of our last chances at a 6 mt instead of a 7, which is one reason I went for a Spyder instead of a new 911 Cab.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Color is completely subjective. That's why I may advise on a model or option, but color is really in the eye of the beholder. Buy the color combination you love. Try to see the combination you want in person if possible. It will really help you to decide. Good luck!!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Roadworrier
Instructor

Received 296 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Ditto. the two tone is better looking than the plain Luxor beige as well IMO.
I like the two-tone as well but $2900 for the privilege (I know it includes leather doors and dash which is really what you're paying for) is just so Porsche.

The "leather package" of the dash top and door armrests being stitched leather is a reasonable option ($500) but for some freakin' reason you can't get it with sport plus seats (the ones with the added bolsters). There is a bourdeaux red/black combination ($640) with red seating surfaces on the black standard buckets, as well as red leather armrests and dashtop. It probably doesn't work with Guards Red because it's a different shade of red.

Last edited by Roadworrier; 12-20-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:54 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can spring it, Carmine Red looks great in person, and I think it is more in line with the looks of a beige interior.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:41 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

What are you planning to do with the car? Daily, weekend drives, Auto-x/DE? If you think DE might be of interest for this car, you may want to add the sport chrono package. Otherwise, I think it looks like a nice setup - good luck with the search!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:57 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by squid42
If you can spring it, Carmine Red looks great in person, and I think it is more in line with the looks of a beige interior.
You are right--the Carmine does look nice--not sure I want to spring the extra for that color. I always seem to go for a Black or White car--my 911 was Black. I thought it might be nice to change it up. I have some time and I am sure I'll change back and forth before I settle.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:00 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by white924s
What are you planning to do with the car? Daily, weekend drives, Auto-x/DE? If you think DE might be of interest for this car, you may want to add the sport chrono package. Otherwise, I think it looks like a nice setup - good luck with the search!
This car will be strictly for weekends and occasional daily driving. I thought about SC but just don't think I would use it that often.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roadworrier
I like the two-tone as well but $2900 for the privilege (I know it includes leather doors and dash which is really what you're paying for) is just so Porsche.

The "leather package" of the dash top and door armrests being stitched leather is a reasonable option ($500) but for some freakin' reason you can't get it with sport plus seats (the ones with the added bolsters). There is a bourdeaux red/black combination ($640) with red seating surfaces on the black standard buckets, as well as red leather armrests and dashtop. It probably doesn't work with Guards Red because it's a different shade of red.
I keep going back and forth on the full leather--$2900 is indeed not cheap. The only way to get the two tone is with leather--unless as you pointed out the bourdeaux/black is available--but it doesn't look right with Guards--but does look sharp with a black or white car. Oh the decisions lol
Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You are right--the Carmine does look nice--not sure I want to spring the extra for that color. I always seem to go for a Black or White car--my 911 was Black. I thought it might be nice to change it up. I have some time and I am sure I'll change back and forth before I settle.
If you want something that plays well with that interior you could consider whatever they call their dark blue right now. It would also be "safe" against changing your mind about a bright color.

This car will be strictly for weekends and occasional daily driving. I thought about SC but just don't think I would use it that often.
SC has a couple of customization goodies that it holds hostage. I think that any "mixing" of different settings for transmission, gas pedal etc is in there now. Without SC you also don't get sports+. Might be OK since you don't have PASM. I recommend to look up every bit of functionality SC gives you. They carefully crafted this so that everyone finds something useful.

One last thing I wanted to mention: those 5-spoke wheels are, on the 718, the only larger wheels. They are the same as the 911 wheel in the rear, whereas the other 718 wheels are all a size smaller on the rear of the 718. Myself I think that is an advantage. Just making sure you know about it.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by squid42
If you want something that plays well with that interior you could consider whatever they call their dark blue right now. It would also be "safe" against changing your mind about a bright color.

SC has a couple of customization goodies that it holds hostage. I think that any "mixing" of different settings for transmission, gas pedal etc is in there now. Without SC you also don't get sports+. Might be OK since you don't have PASM. I recommend to look up every bit of functionality SC gives you. They carefully crafted this so that everyone finds something useful.

One last thing I wanted to mention: those 5-spoke wheels are, on the 718, the only larger wheels. They are the same as the 911 wheel in the rear, whereas the other 718 wheels are all a size smaller on the rear of the 718. Myself I think that is an advantage. Just making sure you know about it.
Thanks squid42! I did not realize the size difference. After looking closer the front are slightly larger as well. So you think the smaller tires are an advantage? I went strictly for looks. Did I miss something?

Quick Reply: 718 Purchase