Sponsored by:

718 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
GT Silver with black/bordeaux should be gorgeous. I'm just a bit partial to GT Silver - it's a bright and very pure silver with no brown or blue hue. As for the 20"s, I never considered others. If you're going to use your car as a weekend cruiser or DD, 20"s are great - from those who track their cars, I'm hearing 20"s are not the way to go.
Agree with you on the GT Silver. I had to see it in person to appreciate it--the car really looks great with the black contrasts with the blk top and trim. I will be using this car mainly on the weekends and not a DD so will probably stick with the 20"s.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CFIMarco
IMHO the Sport Chrono it's a must with PDK, but I wouldn't like it with manual transmission.
The reason is this one:
if I go for the PDK I'm looking for the best performances I could get and the PDK works great with Sport Chrono.
If I go for the manual, I'm looking for a more involving driving style, giving up something on the pure performance side, therefore for a more involving driving experience I don't need an electronic device that blips for me, since with its help it would spoil part of the fun.
Said that, I owned a 986S and a 987S with MT but I got a PDK + SC on the 981S and I love it.
I'm not sure if the next one will be with PDK or MT, but I'm sure that if it will be manual, I will not take the auto blip and if it will be PDK, I will have the SC.
Thanks for the input. I am not going to add SC. I really enjoyed driving the MT--it is as you stated a "more involving driving experience."
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallatin
Thanks for the input. I am not going to add SC. I really enjoyed driving the MT--it is as you stated a "more involving driving experience."
Great choice!! Of note GT silver really looks exactly as it appears in my avatar. You can see the contrast over black interior, and just how bright and true the silver is. Wonderful color. No regrets on the color or getting MT.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:16 AM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Great choice!! Of note GT silver really looks exactly as it appears in my avatar. You can see the contrast over black interior, and just how bright and true the silver is. Wonderful color. No regrets on the color or getting MT.
It's a very nice color, very appropriate for a Porsche. In the old days the color had also another meaning in international competitions: British cars were green (British racing green) French were blue, Italian were Red (Alfa, Ferrari) and German cars were all silver (Mercedes) and later in the 50's Porsche used the same color.

Phil, I see you are right about rims size for track days, 20" are not very popular on Cayman / Boxster, do you think it's just a matter of availability and cost or there is another reason? (18/19" tires are cheaper and there is a better choice vs 20") beside, a track tire is good for 3000 miles at the most (or a couple of track days if abused:-)

P.S. That silver 986S was my first Porsche :-)
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

IMHO the Sport Chrono it's a must with PDK, but I wouldn't like it with manual transmission.
The reason is this one:
if I go for the PDK I'm looking for the best performances I could get and the PDK works great with Sport Chrono.
If I go for the manual, I'm looking for a more involving driving style, giving up something on the pure performance side, therefore for a more involving driving experience I don't need an electronic device that blips for me, since with its help it would spoil part of the fun.
Said that, I owned a 986S and a 987S with MT but I got a PDK + SC on the 981S and I love it.
I'm not sure if the next one will be with PDK or MT, but I'm sure that if it will be manual, I will not take the auto blip and if it will be PDK, I will have the SC.
I fully agree that it is idiotic that SC does not only offer blib but enforces it and you cannot turn it off. Another stupid computer program randomly manipulating physical behavior when driving.

SC is not quite useless with manual, though. If you have PASM you (probably) get a different behavior in Sports+ (also some undocumented computer behavior). There will be a different gas pedal curve (probably a worse one, though). There is the performance display. And finally there is the ability to mix different settings. I did not have an opportunity to try this, if it allows you to select a linear gas pedal response with aspects of other subsystems normally belonging to other modes that would be a killer for me. I really hate when random things all change at once. I want to mix and match.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I fully agree that it is idiotic that SC does not only offer blib but enforces it and you cannot turn it off. Another stupid computer program randomly manipulating physical behavior when driving.

This is a bad news! 981 does rev-matching only in Sport Plus, at least as in Spyder. 982 does that in Sport as well. That's a disaster. There is an 'Individual' mode, to customize settings. Would anyone know if one can copy all the settings from Sport Plus to Individual except rev-match? Here is the excerpt from the Configurator: "Individual mode for personalized selection of a range of sporty vehicle settings".

If Individual mode can't help, it would be a huge disappointment! It doesn't bode well for 982 Spyder either!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 AM
whatevva
Advanced

Originally Posted by the_rider
This is a bad news! 981 does rev-matching only in Sport Plus, at least as in Spyder. 982 does that in Sport as well. That's a disaster. There is an 'Individual' mode, to customize settings. Would anyone know if one can copy all the settings from Sport Plus to Individual except rev-match? Here is the excerpt from the Configurator: "Individual mode for personalized selection of a range of sporty vehicle settings".

If Individual mode can't help, it would be a huge disappointment! It doesn't bode well for 982 Spyder either!
Yes, you can leave it off, in individual
Old 01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a very nice color, very appropriate for a Porsche. In the old days the color had also another meaning in international competitions: British cars were green (British racing green) French were blue, Italian were Red (Alfa, Ferrari) and German cars were all silver (Mercedes) and later in the 50's Porsche used the same color.

Phil, I see you are right about rims size for track days, 20" are not very popular on Cayman / Boxster, do you think it's just a matter of availability and cost or there is another reason? (18/19" tires are cheaper and there is a better choice vs 20") beside, a track tire is good for 3000 miles at the most (or a couple of track days if abused:-)

P.S. That silver 986S was my first Porsche :-)
Nice 986! I think that if you're going to track your car, 18/19 is the way to go. But you noted that you are going to be using it as a weekend car for fun. For that reason, IMO, 20"s are the ONLY way to go. They look incredible, there is sufficient choice of tires (check out Tire Rack) and if you can afford a 981 or 718, the difference in price to move up to 20"s is negligible over time. Get what you love!!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_rider

Same question here, can somebody describe in more detail which things you can freely mix in "individual"?

And can you save several "sets"?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM
whatevva
Advanced

Same question here, can somebody describe in more detail which things you can freely mix in "individual"?

And can you save several "sets"?
Not Good news..

Old 01-05-2017, 01:10 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Ugh. Thanks for the info.

I am sure they forcefully combine the sound piping setting with non-selectable throttle curve for "safety reasons" or whatever. What a joke.

At least with BMW's ActiveSound you can kill it easily by removing a plug.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks, whatevva. So, Individual mode will not help to defeat throttle blip and the stupid engine sound in the cabin! 982 Spyder may not be any different. This is truly depressing! I am looking forward to 982 Spyder. But, if piped engine sound and rev-match can not be defeated, I would be truly gutted! Porsche is no longer for purists!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I've never independently verified this, but can't rev matching in the 981 Spyder be defeated in Sport Plus mode by de-activating traction control? If so, then might the same hold true for the 718?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

At least with BMW's ActiveSound you can kill it easily by removing a plug.
Two different things. BMW's is a fake speaker sound. The 'symposer' crap is a pipe from the intake, so not fake, but artificial... just like the backfiring. I don't like it either, but the good news is that at least on my GTS, it opens up at 4K rpm, so I assume it's the same on 718s. Once you remove the engine cover, it's easy to gut it, but I don't want to do that to my new car. I might do that when it's time to replace the air filters, which I plan on doing at 20K miles.

As a final note, it's hard to believe Nissan started with the throttle-blip on manual cars ages ago, and they still have the best system: a freaking subtle button on the console. No stupid steering wheel paddles, or tacked on to a driving mode, etc. On if you want it, and off if you don't. That's exactly what all of that crap (symposer, backfiring, throttle-blip, throttle map, etc.) should be, via menus, and not 'bundled' at all. Oh well.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
As a final note, it's hard to believe Nissan started with the throttle-blip on manual cars ages ago, and they still have the best system: a freaking subtle button on the console. No stupid steering wheel paddles, or tacked on to a driving mode, etc.
In Porsche's defense, Nissan may have patented that particular arrangement. Standard USPTO practice is to rubber stamp every idea that crosses their desks, no matter how stupid or trivial, and let the courts sort it out. Often this is the answer to, "Why doesn't company X or product Y support obvious feature Z?"

Quick Reply: 718 Purchase