Sponsored by:

718 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whatevva
Honestly...I just got a manual with chrono and rev matching is very cool. but if money was limited, I'd dump the chrono and get PASM any day.
whatevva--so choosing between the two you would go with PASM? Can you explain your reasoning? Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 06:33 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallatin
Most of you know how these things go. I have talked my wife into a manual gear box so I have a new build--much more basic. Thoughts?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHL2UL97

By the way thanks to everyone for their initial thoughts and input!!!
Nice built, but since the 718 is ultimately a drivers car focused on driving feel and handling over pure power & top speed, don't skimp on the suspension and get sport PASM option.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:45 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
Nice built, but since the 718 is ultimately a drivers car focused on driving feel and handling over pure power & top speed, don't skimp on the suspension and get sport PASM option.
S-PASM is not available on the base Boxster. Just the S model.

Of course x73 (the non-dynamic lower suspension) isn't available either. But that would be easier to fix.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:55 PM
whatevva
Advanced

whatevva--so choosing between the two you would go with PASM? Can you explain your reasoning? Thanks
Chrono really does nothing other than the rev matching. PASM is such a smooth ride, and a noticeable change when sport is engaged.

The individual mode in chrono is nice if you have a lot of sport options, but with you're choices, I wouldn't waste the money.

I think Sport PASM is too much! The normal mode is as stiff as PASM in sport and I wouldn't want that as my baseline for comfort.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by squid42

Of course x73 (the non-dynamic lower suspension) isn't available either. But that would be easier to fix.
I am in the configurator now and it appears that PASM is a choice on the base 718--$1790
Old 12-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whatevva
Chrono really does nothing other than the rev matching. PASM is such a smooth ride, and a noticeable change when sport is engaged.

The individual mode in chrono is nice if you have a lot of sport options, but with you're choices, I wouldn't waste the money.

I think Sport PASM is too much! The normal mode is as stiff as PASM in sport and I wouldn't want that as my baseline for comfort.
Thanks for the reply! I will have to give this some thought. I am going to the dealer on saturday to have my wife drive the manual but unfortunately I don't think that the lot car that they have has either PASM or Sport Chrono. I will be placing my oder at the end of January so I still have some time.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by squid42

You are correct--s-pasm just pasm is available on the base modle--my mistake.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:39 PM
westwest888
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a similar 981 base. A few tips:

* consider getting the rollbar painted in exterior color
* Bose in a convertible not worth it when the top is down (or whenever road noise is > 80dB)
* black/beige is the best interior available now, the cheaper $600 two tones are also nice
* BMW sakhir orange paint on sakhir orange leather actually looks good (light red for both)
* full leather didn't seem worth it to me in an open-air convertible, but I miss it on transmission tunnel
* consider leather trim strip, as the silver painted trim reflects sunlight in your eyes 1 hour a day
* it's easy to live with 4-way seats and save $4k
* base suspension is VERY sporty with 20" wheels, not as gentle as PASM-comfort
* avoid active cruise control - it's a lemon
* Sports chrono worth it for the most aggressive PDK program, I miss it
Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Black with Agate? Not my taste - I love non-metallic black, but I would get it either with black/beige, or all black. Color is subjective, though. I have PASM and love it - wouldn't waste money on s-chrono. Just my opinion. Get smokers package - it covers the gap at the end of the console and is no-cost, and adds a nice look to the console. Not sure if USB comes with basic sound system or Bose or whether you have to order navi with it. I wish mine had USB -- I have Bose which is OK. As for the twin S/S pipes, they're just decorative - if you can swing sport exhaust, consider it (you get the S/S pipes and a nicer sound). Good luck!!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Black with Agate? Not my taste - I love non-metallic black, but I would get it either with black/beige, or all black. Color is subjective, though. I have PASM and love it - wouldn't waste money on s-chrono. Just my opinion. Get smokers package - it covers the gap at the end of the console and is no-cost, and adds a nice look to the console. Not sure if USB comes with basic sound system or Bose or whether you have to order navi with it. I wish mine had USB -- I have Bose which is OK. As for the twin S/S pipes, they're just decorative - if you can swing sport exhaust, consider it (you get the S/S pipes and a nicer sound). Good luck!!
Thanks for the input!

I have actually decided to go with the leather package Black/Bordeaux Red. I think it looks great in a Black car. I will see it in person at the dealer on Saturday--they have a Cayman with that set up.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Thanks for the input!

I have actually decided to go with the leather package Black/Bordeaux Red. I think it looks great in a Black car. I will see it in person at the dealer on Saturday--they have a Cayman with that set up.
Beautiful combo - post pics if you can. Would love to see it - especially the interior. Good luck!!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:07 PM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 718 Black Luxor Leather Interior

Hello--looking to purchase a 718 this spring. I would like to get some feedback on my build. Not really sure about the Guards Red. A friend of mine told me he doesn't think that the two tone black and luxor beige interior works with Guards. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Here is the code.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHAI1ZB0
Once upon a time I used to research then buy a Porsche; now I buy then research (not sure why!) so just saw this thread.

I've just picked up a 718 in Guards Red with Black Luxor Leather Interior. Love the deviating stitch and black carpet + black dash keeps out the reflection. Probably the best interior for Guards Red and reminds me of many Californias I've seen in similar color combo.

Not sure if I'm too late for you but perhaps this may help the forum community in general so here are some pics. I was about to start a thread on my impressions of the 718 (which is very positive after few drives after purchasing whereas my initial impression after a 10 minute test drive 6 months back was very negative).

Old 01-02-2017, 12:09 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

After visiting the dealership Saturday I have made a couple of changes. I drove a base 718 in GT Silver and love the color. So instead of black--now going with GT Silver and the partial leather Black/Bordeaux Red. I know this has probably been covered and some of you addressed it earlier--but probably not going with Sport Chrono with the MT? Also--debating between 19" or 20" tires? Love the look of the 20s but not sure about the ride. I had 20s on my 911 and thought the ride was incredible. I will be placing the order in February so I have some time.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

After visiting the dealership Saturday I have made a couple of changes. I drove a base 718 in GT Silver and love the color. So instead of black--now going with GT Silver and the partial leather Black/Bordeaux Red. I know this has probably been covered and some of you addressed it earlier--but probably not going with Sport Chrono with the MT? Also--debating between 19" or 20" tires? Love the look of the 20s but not sure about the ride. I had 20s on my 911 and thought the ride was incredible. I will be placing the order in February so I have some time.
GT Silver with black/bordeaux should be gorgeous. I'm just a bit partial to GT Silver - it's a bright and very pure silver with no brown or blue hue. As for the 20"s, I never considered others. If you're going to use your car as a weekend cruiser or DD, 20"s are great - from those who track their cars, I'm hearing 20"s are not the way to go.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:19 PM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO the Sport Chrono it's a must with PDK, but I wouldn't like it with manual transmission.
The reason is this one:
if I go for the PDK I'm looking for the best performances I could get and the PDK works great with Sport Chrono.
If I go for the manual, I'm looking for a more involving driving style, giving up something on the pure performance side, therefore for a more involving driving experience I don't need an electronic device that blips for me, since with its help it would spoil part of the fun.
Said that, I owned a 986S and a 987S with MT but I got a PDK + SC on the 981S and I love it.
I'm not sure if the next one will be with PDK or MT, but I'm sure that if it will be manual, I will not take the auto blip and if it will be PDK, I will have the SC.

Quick Reply: 718 Purchase