Sponsored by:

718 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
The espresso/cognag is a matter of taste. A lot of different brown tones floating around ick many people.

It has the higher quality leather, but I think the solid Espresso is a safer and more classy option if you want that.
The Espresso has grown on me the last few days--especially in the 2 tone.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:15 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallatin
This car will be strictly for weekends and occasional daily driving. I thought about SC but just don't think I would use it that often.
Makes sense. I never use the actual chrono on mine, but if you get the manual, the sport chrono adds a rev matching feature for downshifts - I use that very often even on the street. For weekend/daily driving with a PDK, I think I agree you don't need the sport plus mode or launch control.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Espresso has grown on me the last few days--especially in the 2 tone.
Would you do that with Guards or with Mahogony (pretty color IMO).
Old 12-23-2016, 12:24 AM
brutusfear
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback on Porsche Connect. Very helpful. I assume you get Apple Carplay at no extra cost but the other features require some subscription cost.

Anyone have thoughts on PASM (for 718 Cayman)? Originally I wanted it, but was told if I was not a track guy (and I'm not), it was not worth the money.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:27 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're not a track guy, PASM, sport chrono etc. are not worth it. "S" is also a waste on a new Cayman in my opinion. I have a Carrera S and I probably drive it at 3/10 of its potential when I do drive it - I mean when youre going the same speed as. Camry or Accord on the public roads, you really don't "need" any of those expensive options. Full leather is something I really don't like even though my 997 has it. Doesn't seem to fit well in a sports car. But then people associate leather and wood panels with luxury these days so...

If you are track guy get 18" wheels and the most basic interior you can, including the cheapest seats.

If it was me I'd get the most basic Cayman and spend the remainingg money on an Arai helmet custom painted some racing shoes and gloves and a lot of DE You will learn how to get the most of your car that way.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Zeus993--thanks for your suggestions. I like the Espresso/Cognac leather--not so sure about the red painted bits. You have definitely given me something to think about.
You are wlcm. It was a powerful combination - one more in total than the sum of it parts. Phoenix car a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find the pics I downloaded for you.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeus993
You are wlcm. It was a powerful combination - one more in total than the sum of it parts. Phoenix car a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find the pics I downloaded for you.
Yes would like to see those pics!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:28 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
Apple Carplay is like a remove X11 interface for your screen. You can use the car's screen (including touch) to control the phone, the same way that you normally use the built-in screen. (IMHO car screens should never have done anything else but that's besides the point)
You still can't run arbitrary apps like Waze over CarPlay, though, correct? If not, then it's not exactly an X11 interface. Just another proprietary walled garden.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:55 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have always like the two-toned interiors; breaks it up. I like black/tan. Exterior color is a personal decision-get what will make you smile every time you walk out into the garage and look at it. I am personally not a fan of Porsche crests added to the interior. But that is me. I know that someone else suggested that, but thought I would comment regardless. On Boxster especially, I like silver exterior with red interior. I would then go with a black top. Yeah, I know.....
Old 12-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
You still can't run arbitrary apps like Waze over CarPlay, though, correct? If not, then it's not exactly an X11 interface. Just another proprietary walled garden.
I would be curious to know if waze would work on any car system considering most already have their own navigation. Anyone know?

The more I interact with various phone/car interfaces the less I like them. They all have quirks that are beyond annoying, a true distraction at times. And with the constant software updates the interface changes and you have to relearn how to use things. So far the Volvo interface has been the best but it has its quirks too like randomly playing Pandora even when its off on the phone.

I'm no dinosaur and I love technology when it works correctly but I personally don't think any manufacturer has figured it out yet.

My Spyder has a basic aux input which will allow me to play music and it streams Waze over the speakers (no screen) which ironically has worked reliably. An interface that was antiquated before I even purchased the car.....first world problems.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Default New Build--Different Direction

Most of you know how these things go. I have talked my wife into a manual gear box so I have a new build--much more basic. Thoughts?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHL2UL97

By the way thanks to everyone for their initial thoughts and input!!!
Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Well, yes.

CarPlay doesn't even publish their API. Getting anything useful for it written and then approved by the Apple store is going to be a hassle. Since Waze is owned by Google that's probably not going to happen.

To be honest I'm fed up with all those crippled computers (IOS, Android) anyway.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:09 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would be curious to know if waze would work on any car system considering most already have their own navigation. Anyone know?

The more I interact with various phone/car interfaces the less I like them. They all have quirks that are beyond annoying, a true distraction at times. And with the constant software updates the interface changes and you have to relearn how to use things. So far the Volvo interface has been the best but it has its quirks too like randomly playing Pandora even when its off on the phone.

I'm no dinosaur and I love technology when it works correctly but I personally don't think any manufacturer has figured it out yet.

My Spyder has a basic aux input which will allow me to play music and it streams Waze over the speakers (no screen) which ironically has worked reliably. An interface that was antiquated before I even purchased the car.....first world problems.
You will be delighted to know that more and more car high-end Stereos remove the Aux/line-in. The insanity knows no bounds.

The car manufacturers feel they have no choice. They must rip you off with their own navigation, but they can't have you use their built-in display for alternative navigation. At the same time their software development and system update cycle excludes doing a consistently good job for years. Not to mention no CPU updates there.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:22 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of you know how these things go. I have talked my wife into a manual gear box so I have a new build--much more basic. Thoughts?

That's a nice basic build. Base seats are comfortable enough for you? It's the one area I would not skimp in.
Honestly, I thought the Bose was overpriced at 700 on the 981; it's not that good.
My $.02
Old 12-28-2016, 06:13 PM
whatevva
Advanced

Honestly...I just got a manual with chrono and rev matching is very cool. but if money was limited, I'd dump the chrono and get PASM any day.

Quick Reply: 718 Purchase