Sponsored by:

718 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallatin
I keep going back and forth on the full leather--$2900 is indeed not cheap. The only way to get the two tone is with leather--unless as you pointed out the bourdeaux/black is available--but it doesn't look right with Guards--but does look sharp with a black or white car. Oh the decisions lol
Go for it. 100%. The Porsche full leather creates an out standing driving experience, both in look, feel and smell.

For color, I would not go with the Guards Red over Bordeaux. The reds will clash. Full black leather or even the Brown/tan Natural Leather can work. I saw a 981 Cayman built in Guards Red over Espresso / Cognac Natural Leather with red painted bits inside I.e. the dash pieces and the center consul and it looked STUNNING.

Check this out: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHFNFG56

I also added Crests to your seats and increased your cost! Sorry, but it's only your money.

Have fun with your build. This is the fun part!

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-21-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks squid42! I did not realize the size difference. After looking closer the front are slightly larger as well. So you think the smaller tires are an advantage? I went strictly for looks. Did I miss something?
The tires are the same size. IIRC they just put the same smaller 718 tires on the larger wheels The main property is that the wheels are pretty heavy, and that you probably have an easier time mounting larger rear tires later.

I don't think this is too important, just thought out you might want to know since you are ready to pull the trigger. If you were to ever get different wheels and would like to sell the OEM wheels (they are $$$) then this would be a huge advantage since they are identical to the 911 narrow body set (the wheels, not the tires).

FWIW I think they look best among the current choices.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:23 PM
MRThomas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the two-tone black and tan interior looks nice. It would eliminate the glare you get from the tan dash, although that is solved with polarized sun glasses.

My interior is all Luxor Beige (with black floor mats) and I like it very much. It's not typical for a sports car, but I think it has a little more of a luxury vibe about it. I also think it goes great with the dark blue metallic exterior -- which was mentioned above. I sat in a Cayman with a black interior and frankly it felt rather cave-like. I don't know if the Luxor will be any cooler in the summer, but it can't be any *hotter* than the black leather interior of my daily driver.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep going back and forth on the full leather--$2900 is indeed not cheap. The only way to get the two tone is with leather--unless as you pointed out the bourdeaux/black is available--but it doesn't look right with Guards--but does look sharp with a black or white car. Oh the decisions lol
I have full leather on my 981S and have never regretted it. The quality of the leather on the dash and door panels is excellent, and IMO worth the extra $$. But again it's not cheap (nothing is on Porsches). You need to pick the options that are "must haves" for you.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Will you climb into your expensive car and think "gee, I wish I hadn't sprung for full leather.". I would do the opposite. I'd climb into my expensive car and think gee, I just paid 85g for a car and it doesn't even have full leather......
Old 12-22-2016, 01:15 AM
brutusfear
3rd Gear

I'm close to purchasing a 718 Cayman. I've been struggling to understand Porsche Connect. I've got conflicting explanations from different salesman. No one has commented on connect in this thread (yet). Can someone explain the features and what they cost (in addition to the $830 initial cost).
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Go for it. 100%. The Porsche full leather creates an out standing driving experience, both in look, feel and smell.

For color, I would not go with the Guards Red over Bordeaux. The reds will clash. Full black leather or even the Brown/tan Natural Leather can work. I saw a 981 Cayman built in Guards Red over Espresso / Cognac Natural Leather with red painted bits inside I.e. the dash pieces and the center consul and it looked STUNNING.

Check this out: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHFNFG56

I also added Crests to your seats and increased your cost! Sorry, but it's only your money.

Have fun with your build. This is the fun part!
Zeus993--thanks for your suggestions. I like the Espresso/Cognac leather--not so sure about the red painted bits. You have definitely given me something to think about.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brutusfear
I'm close to purchasing a 718 Cayman. I've been struggling to understand Porsche Connect. I've got conflicting explanations from different salesman. No one has commented on connect in this thread (yet). Can someone explain the features and what they cost (in addition to the $830 initial cost).
I have Connect in my Macan S and mainly it allows you to use Apply CarPlay. I have this instead of navigation. I really prefer this--it is much better than the Porsche Navigation.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:26 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I have full leather on my 981S and have never regretted it. The quality of the leather on the dash and door panels is excellent, and IMO worth the extra $$. But again it's not cheap (nothing is on Porsches). You need to pick the options that are "must haves" for you.
I agree--this is a "must have" for me as well!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:29 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Selo
Will you climb into your expensive car and think "gee, I wish I hadn't sprung for full leather.". I would do the opposite. I'd climb into my expensive car and think gee, I just paid 85g for a car and it doesn't even have full leather......
You are probably right!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 AM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MRThomas
I think the two-tone black and tan interior looks nice. It would eliminate the glare you get from the tan dash, although that is solved with polarized sun glasses.

My interior is all Luxor Beige (with black floor mats) and I like it very much. It's not typical for a sports car, but I think it has a little more of a luxury vibe about it. I also think it goes great with the dark blue metallic exterior -- which was mentioned above. I sat in a Cayman with a black interior and frankly it felt rather cave-like. I don't know if the Luxor will be any cooler in the summer, but it can't be any *hotter* than the black leather interior of my daily driver.
I like the combination in your Cayman!!! I have an all black interior in my DD as well and it can be very hot. I like the two-tone and will most likely stick with it.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brutusfear
It gives you Porsche Connect a Apple Carplay.

You can review much of what Porsche Connect offers in the corresponding app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tics.pcc&hl=en

Keep in mind that if you do not have Porsche's navigation (not a std feature) then you can't send routes to the car etc.

Apple Carplay is like a remove X11 interface for your screen. You can use the car's screen (including touch) to control the phone, the same way that you normally use the built-in screen. (IMHO car screens should never have done anything else but that's besides the point)

I am not sure right now whether the phone (and hence the phone-controlled car screen) gets access to car data such as speed, steering wheel buttons etc like Android's version does. The ability to map steering wheel buttons to any functionality you like (as opposed to some random product manager's idea) is also how things should have been done in the first place.

This seems to be a good summary of what those car<->phone APIs can do.
https://www.toptal.com/android/is-de...next-big-thing
Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 PM
981spyder
Racer

And after you get the car...... tell your friend to get some taste lol ;-), or maybe they will like it after they see it, 2 tone is better than beige only.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

The espresso/cognag is a matter of taste. A lot of different brown tones floating around ick many people.

It has the higher quality leather, but I think the solid Espresso is a safer and more classy option if you want that.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Gallatin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 981spyder
And after you get the car...... tell your friend to get some taste lol ;-), or maybe they will like it after they see it, 2 tone is better than beige only.
I agree! I will most likely do the 2 tone. I don't think beige only works that well.

Quick Reply: 718 Purchase