Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20,000 mile dealer service???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:47 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 20,000 mile dealer service???

Sorry if this has been covered adnauseaum, I did a search and only came up with something from 2004 where it seemed service intervals were different.. Anyway my 2013 Boxster S is at 21,000 miles (4 driving seasons) and I am wondering about the value of the dealer service and the stamp in the service book. I have done multiple oil changes, (5,000 miles or less) multiple brake fluid flushes, engine air filters, and cabin prefilter at 17,000 miles, myself. Have not done the clutch bleed, or been in the engine compartment to check anything in there. I also have not done the myriad of visual inspections they supposedly do.
This being said I am not a seasoned mechanic, just fairly mechanically capable and very meticulous. My lack of experience makes it such that I don't really know what to look for or attend to.
I guess my question is, is there a lot of value for the cars sake and for future resale of having the 20,000 mile service at the dealer and getting the stamp in the service book. I could also use a local Indy mechanic that is good, but probably is not a lot cheaper.
Car has 2 more years warranty, but I will probably keep it well beyond that. Trying to own and maintained my Porsche as well as possible but not pay inflated prices in doing so.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Keep good records on your own. Including receipts. Consider something like the free app MyCarFax to chart and collect your data. Get the service checklist from your dealership or find here, and start doing/learning some of the other more "visual checks". One that's more important for your car specifically would include cleaning all the drain holes related to the cabriolet top.

As for the clutch bleeding, I THINK it's part of a brake fluid flush, since this is a shared system, but you might need the fancy Porsche computers for that. Check, though, because my info may be wrong and/or dated. Sorry.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

My experience with my local dealer is that a 987.1 clutch bleed was not part of the brake bleed but an extra charge. YMMV. Needless to say I did it myself after the dealer did the first one.

The car should have come with a maintenance booklet outlining the service intervals.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Keep good records on your own. Including receipts. Consider something like the free app MyCarFax to chart and collect your data. Get the service checklist from your dealership or find here, and start doing/learning some of the other more "visual checks". One that's more important for your car specifically would include cleaning all the drain holes related to the cabriolet top.

As for the clutch bleeding, I THINK it's part of a brake fluid flush, since this is a shared system, but you might need the fancy Porsche computers for that. Check, though, because my info may be wrong and/or dated. Sorry.
Thanks for your tips LexVan
I do keep notes of any service I do and all parts receipts. Planet 9 has the service schedule listed in a concise way. So I guess I should get motivated to take the DIY service a bit further.
I was just wondering if it might be good to have the dealer check out the car every few years.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:57 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r553
My experience with my local dealer is that a 987.1 clutch bleed was not part of the brake bleed but an extra charge. YMMV. Needless to say I did it myself after the dealer did the first one.

The car should have come with a maintenance booklet outlining the service intervals.
r553 I appreciate your input. I think I will do the the clutch bleed myself as well. I recently read a DYI article on it.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll never take my new 2016 GTS to a dealer unless I absolutely have to (recall, mechanical failure under warranty, etc). First of all, closest dealer is 400 miles away, so a major inconvenience at best (no loaner across states, so can't drive back). But even if I had one close-by, still wouldn't take it for maintenance. I know how to do most of it and have the tools (or buy them if needed), ENJOY doing it, and most importantly, take all the time needed to do it right. For instance, oil was still streaming (not dripping) after 2 hours draining, so left it overnight. Some of the recommended inspections are not necessary, like checking pads (all have sensors, but I still do it often), or engine belts, when they should last 100K miles (no way I'd rip my interior to check it even at 40K miles... unless it was 10 yrs old or more). I feel they're just money makers for dealers at our expense. Having said that, when I have the car on the air for the oil change, I clean everything perfectly (to spot any leaks later on), and check what needs to be checked as well. Clutch bleed is cake on most manual cars (Corvettes are an exception), and I always do it along with the brakes. On a Ferrari, dealer servicing might be more important, but not on these cars. I MUCH prefer a car well serviced by a FYI owner than a dealer. You've read the myriad stories of dealer screw-ups. I personally blame most of those to rushing things (the inherent conflict of interest in vehicle servicing, and the main reason I just don't trust any dealer), rather than incompetence, but both are at play for sure. Hope to be able to keep doing it myself for a while. If I was buying a used car, then I'd definitely pay a third-party for a thorough inspection. Since I buy all my cars brand new, it's easy to keep them running like new. And I always change fluids before recommendations (cheap insurance), keeps them topped off, check tire pressures and charge battery weekly.

Last edited by JCtx; 12-13-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

By my observation and experience all the services done at the dealer involve an inspection. Thus when I have either of my cars in for a 5K mile oil/filter service the cars come back with a comprehensive report on any issues, tire condition, brake condition, etc.

My point is if you are doing your own servicing, even if it is *just* a 5K mile oil/filter service, you should take the time to inspect the car for any signs of any issues -- mainly fluid leaks -- and check the tires for tread depth, signs of uneven wear, possibly punctures, and the condition of the brake hardware.

(When I serviced my cars I did all of the above. Spent some time under the car (with the rear off the ground with the rear tires on Rhino Ramps) with a bright flashlight giving all the potential "trouble" spots a good eyeballing.)

Letting the car go a couple of years between thorough inspections can have you ending up on the side of the road with the car with a serious problem something that might have been spotted sooner and addressed before it became a serious problem.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

At the rate I'm pouring on the miles, it will be another 40 years until I hit 20K miles! I'll be over 100 years old, and .... if the good Lord keeps me around, will likely be driving a metallic blue Buick LeSabre. A used one.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

At 20,000 miles, I guess there is not much that I can't take care of, and Phil DRIVE that beauty FOR GODS SAKE.

Quick Reply: 20,000 mile dealer service???