Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder release date?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

To me the RS takes an already amazing car and further reduces its weight and adds additional performance through engine and suspension upgrades. The next Spyder can definitely benefit from both of these and it doesn't necessarily need to be called an RS.

The only downside will be its cost but there does seem to be more buyers willing to pay $120K for the upgrades.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I do see an issue with power #s of 3.8 X51 against 982 S. Current power ratings of 982 S are 350 hp, 309 lb-ft. 991 GTS had 430 hp, 325 lb-ft. I would guess the 982 GTS might get to be 375 hp, 320 lb-ft, or so. The 3.8 X51 would need to hit in the ballpark of 430 hp 340 lb-ft. The X51 kit could be massaged to deliver the ballpark torque. It might be cheaper than dropping in a detuned 4.0. I am referencing the scenario for the Spyder. And, the 4.0 could be used for post-982 application. But, that's a different story (or speculation)!

For Spyder drivers, I would think, the characteristics of power delivery is more important than the power itself. Al least, that's "my" expectation. I don't care about power per se. In fact, I will be happy with 987's power levels. But, I know I will be alone with such a twisted wish list! Spyder is all about driving experience; not, launching it and hitting 60 sooner than a regular 982. A Tesla can humiliate most high spec sports cars in 0-60!

With 982, it will be very difficult to lower the curb weight. It will be expensive to consider cheaper materials. There isn't much they can do without complete redesign and exotic composite materials. They could probably ditch 100 lbs, if lucky! Of course, we will dutifully add those options back! :-)

The possibility of GT4 RS is a very long shot. If it does happen, not sure how the Spyder will be positioned. Boxster and Cayman are supposed to move along in tandem. With Boxster now sitting above Cayman, in price point, the hierarchy will become out of whack. In fact, I am betting that the Spyder will get GT treatments. But, that's a story for another day!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:53 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

For the people that forgot this happened:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html

Thanks again to Eduardo for posting this a while back.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Yup, we do have short memory! Thanks for posting that link. After re-reading AP's comments, I am convinced even more (based on few other observations since then) that GT Spyder is a reality. I am bit uncertain how strongly it will be tied to true GT bloodlines. A GT Spyder will be my dream Porsche (aside from Carrera GT)! Can't wait!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Spiders so far have been on the last year of production, so a few years away. But my guess is Porsche will revert to the first version, which was just the trademark trunk with some extra goodies, GTS style... meaning the engine will be the same turbo H4 on current units. Hope I'm wrong, but a '718' without a 4-banger makes little sense, no? The exception to that could only be if Porsche makes the Spider an official GT car, as mentioned right above me. The other disappointment is Porsche used the GT moniker (GT4) without a proper motorsports engine, meaning they're probably going to continue that trend, AMG style.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
I don't care about power per se. In fact, I will be happy with 987's power levels. But, I know I will be alone with such a twisted wish list!
You are not alone, Henry! Could care less about power, but weight reduction is another story. Would love to see a totally stripped down 982 Spyder. Call it the Spyder 718 LWS (light-weight special) with all cars identically equipped:
  • No side windows
  • No windshield - simple plexi flyscreen in front of driver only
  • No roof
  • Door on driver side only
  • Titanium exhaust
  • Lightweight wheels and tires (get that unsprung weight down!)
  • Stripped out interior w/exposed floorboards, no carpeting, zero sound deadening material
  • Single seat (LWB)
  • Single streamliner behind the driver only
  • Carbon hood and trunk lids
  • No glove box
  • No cupholders
  • No armrest/center counsel storage
  • Dash and center counsel/transmission tunnel in exposed metal
  • Drill everything (i.e., steering wheel, pedals, brake handle, gear shift, door handle - you name it)
  • Manual only
  • NA
  • No multiple settings like Sport, Sport +, etc.
  • Analog suspension
  • Simple key with no chip
  • Eliminate the struts for front and rear lids by using simple metal support rods (drilled!)
  • All Porsche badging replaced with stickers
  • No radio or AC options
  • Bring back the dipstick and emergency brake handle (drilled!)
  • Offered in GT Silver only

Stick a four cylinder in it for all I care. Just get that weight down!

Who needs power if she's light as a feather.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Spiders so far have been on the last year of production, so a few years away. ............ The other disappointment is Porsche used the GT moniker (GT4) without a proper motorsports engine, meaning they're probably going to continue that trend, AMG style.
Well, next gen Spyder is closer than you think! Next gen platform should be out for MY 2020 (more stringent Euro regs kick in). So, '19 will be the last year for 982. The production should wrap up by late summer/early fall of '19. So, release should occur by summer of '18. GTS should be out by this summer. As you can see, the schedule is pretty tight, as I can forecast.

Not sure why the engine needs to have motor sports association. Sure, sounds cool. But, they are different applications with different parameters (long term reliability, serviceability, cost, etc.). Production engines like 2.7 and onward are pretty sweet. Well, you know that! If Porsche didn't screw up on the gearing, my choice would be 2.7, for the street. It will allow me to enjoy the soundtrack all day long! As for the engine choice for the 982 Spyder, you are in for a surprise (or, I would have a delicious pie on my face)!

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
You are not alone, Henry! Could care less about power, but weight reduction is another story. Would love to see a totally stripped down 982 Spyder. ...................

Like your list, Nick. However, weight reduction is going to be hard, for a series production car. We might see a reduction of less than 100 lbs for 982 Spyder, if lucky. You will need an architecture like Elise and a commitment like that of Lotus. But then, you will also have sales #s similar to Lotus's! Until the exotic composite materials become widespread and cheap, we won't see much meaningful reduction in weight. I believe progress is being made in this area. And, my only exception to your list is, .... color! I like vivid colors! Let the world to be colorful!

Since we are living in a real world, we got to improvise. Your dream Spyder isn't gonna happen, as much as I would love to see! So, here are a couple of options for ya (these are on my list)! Granted, they aren't wearing Porsche Crest! But, judging by the direction Porsche has taken, you will need to look elsewhere. How 982 Spyder turns out will be key.

Purists' Choices:

Old 01-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

However, weight reduction is going to be hard, for a series production car. We might see a reduction of less than 100 lbs for 982 Spyder, if lucky.
Sadly agree.

You will need an architecture like Elise and a commitment like that of Lotus. But then, you will also have sales #s similar to Lotus's!
My preference for the next Spyder would be to definitely move in the direction of the Elise. My dream Spyder 718 LWS is obviously just that - a dream - but a less extreme and more realistic version that still adheres to weight savings principles as a priority would sell out IMO. Remember that Spyder production numbers are limited to begin with so it's not like you have to sell a boatload. I think there would be enough takers to sell out a production run of 2,486 cars, which as I recall is the estimated total world-wide production figure for the 981 Spyder. I agree that a stripped down car would have limited appeal to the masses, but Spyders aren't generally marketed to the masses to begin with, more the harder-core enthusiast.

Until the exotic composite materials become widespread and cheap, we won't see much meaningful reduction in weight. I believe progress is being made in this area.
I think it was in The Roundel this issue they said carbon fibre costs $8/lb. versus $0.50/lb. for steel. That's still quite a spread (and I think it's even higher in automotive applications), but the gap is narrowing. When you see a carbon tub on an Alfa 4C at that price point, it gives one hope and, as you say, demonstrates that progress is being made. See:

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/...-mass-adoption

And, my only exception to your list is, .... color! I like vivid colors! Let the world to be colorful!
I just chose GT Silver because we all know it weighs less than any other color

Since we are living in a real world, we got to improvise. Your dream Spyder isn't gonna happen, as much as I would love to see!
Yeah, pure fantasy, but fun to think about when procrastinating on tackling a mind numbing project at work

So, here are a couple of options for ya (these are on my list)! Granted, they aren't wearing Porsche Crest! But, judging by the direction Porsche has taken, you will need to look elsewhere.
Caterhams and Morgans are poster children for the type of minimalist build ethos I would love to see in the next Spyder. Take the focus on weight savings these cars adopt, but add Porsche build quality, engineering, and design skills (not to mention a well established dealer network, parts availability, etc.), and I think you'd have a highly desirable enthusiast-oriented car that lives up to the name "Spyder."
Old 01-25-2017, 12:15 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

FYI...no mention of Spyder but looking like a 4.0

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...lat-six-engine
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
You are not alone, Henry! Could care less about power, but weight reduction is another story. Would love to see a totally stripped down 982 Spyder. Call it the Spyder 718 LWS (light-weight special) with all cars identically equipped:
  • No side windows
  • No windshield - simple plexi flyscreen in front of driver only
  • No roof
  • Door on driver side only
  • Titanium exhaust
  • Lightweight wheels and tires (get that unsprung weight down!)
  • Stripped out interior w/exposed floorboards, no carpeting, zero sound deadening material
  • Single seat (LWB)
  • Single streamliner behind the driver only
  • Carbon hood and trunk lids
  • No glove box
  • No cupholders
  • No armrest/center counsel storage
  • Dash and center counsel/transmission tunnel in exposed metal
  • Drill everything (i.e., steering wheel, pedals, brake handle, gear shift, door handle - you name it)
  • Manual only
  • NA
  • No multiple settings like Sport, Sport +, etc.
  • Analog suspension
  • Simple key with no chip
  • Eliminate the struts for front and rear lids by using simple metal support rods (drilled!)
  • All Porsche badging replaced with stickers
  • No radio or AC options
  • Bring back the dipstick and emergency brake handle (drilled!)
  • Offered in GT Silver only

I have to quote you fully because you are expressing what I was thinking too. My only addition to your list would be an optional 2nd LwBS and one cup holder lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Why not just buy a Caterham or an Ariel Atom and call it a day? Because that's what you're asking for, isn't it?

Porsche is not going to build anything that embodies the feature set in your wish list... and if they did, none of us could afford it anyway. Remember, they charge more for removing features than for adding them.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:20 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Nick, your best bet is to keep the 981 Spyder and add a Caterham or Ariel or Morgan, as Noah Fect points out (my plan as well). I have a sneaky suspicion that 982 Spyder will rock; but, Porsche is going to screw up and force auto rev match in "all" the modes!! If that happens, I will be out! That's a deal breaker for me. Possible mitigation could be the back-door entry, by turning off PSM (assuming they don't f&*# close that loophole). We will have to wait to see how that turns out.

Regarding the weight reduction, by the time composite materials become widespread and inexpensive, the cars will be either self-driving (or, close to) or lost most of the enthusiast-centric features.

Another one to watch for is next gen Elise/Exige. They may gain marginal weight and hydraulic steering (as opposed to unassisted); but, they are expected to remain true to Lotus's ethos. Yes, they may do an SUV. Just like Porsche, additional revenue may help them to nurture Elise/Exige/Evora. I am looking forward to them.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Seems pretty basic speculation based on what's been said.. in 2 years we'll get a detuned 4.0 gt4 & Spyder with approx 425-430hp. With 718 it won't have anything unexpected chassis-wise, realistically speaking. If you like turbo today get 718, if you like NA scream find a spyder used, if you prefer talking and imagining don't buy and hang out on forum to wait for hypothetical. Either way, you'll have fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts
Default Thoughts on the 982 Spyder roof...

I still think there is a lot of improvment to be made in the next gen Spyder roof. The current gen roof is still finicky, folding into the truck etc ... but what about a simple targa like roof that folds in two and is stored in the frunk. Or a sliding roof that, on the stroke of a hand, pushes back and forth into the power domes. Something eloquently simple in it's form and function. Something purely Porsche.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder release date?