Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder release date?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The "It won't fit" schtick is total BS.
If Porsche's management had wanted the turbo flat-six to fit in the 718, then rest assured, it would have fit. Take my word for it or don't, but that's the way it works.
I agree 100%
Beside, they could make the rear luggage compartment a bit smaller and fit the 911 engine. IMHO the only one reason to give the 718 a 4c is to increase the gap with the base 911, since the 981 the Boxster / Cayman arrived too close to her bigger sister.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Already looked at a 991.2 S 6cly turbo swap into a 718 body.

the turbos get in the way... the 4cly already barely fits with the turbos.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:24 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Great thread to speculate about the great unknown lol but honestly I just hope it's not better than the 981 Spyder because I have two parking spaces left but I don't need another car. Please don't make another have to have car Porsche!
Old 12-06-2016, 04:46 AM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the question is not if the flat 6 turbo will fit the Boxster's body, but if Porsche will ever make again a Boxster with a flat 6.

If I had to answer myself, I would say that with minor mods, for example slightly smaller rear luggage space and slightly wider body (Carrera vs Carrera S for example) the flat 6T may fit without any problem.
However, I doubt that Porsche will ever try to fit a flat 6T in the Boxster's body, at least for the next seven years, because it would be like stating they did a dumb thing in making the 718 and their resale value would dramatically drop, which is something Porsche doesn't like.
One more thing: they used 718 to give a different "name" to the 982, which is project number for Porsche. They had to find something appealing for marketing a Porsche's flat four in 2016...
Old 12-06-2016, 10:12 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From a manufactruing and design standpoint it's difficult to understand how both a Turbo 4 and NA 6 could go down the same assembly line?
My bet is Turbo 4 but more importantly to me is the transmission, Mt or PDK.
I passed on both the 981 Spyder and GT4 and was very vocal in my disappointment with no PDK
It's 2 years in the future anywy and if 718 sales really tank because of the Turbo 4, then anything is possible.
BTW the 3.l Turbo 6 is a sweet engine!-Richard
Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I must be showing how long I've been on this forum but has it really been THAT LONG since the speculation of the then unknown 981 Spyder release? Wow. And we were all incredibly surprised that they made it all! Numerous "inside" reports said they'd never make the Spyder again as 987.2 Spyder sales were so disappointing, and the roof etc... Whatever PAG brings out for the 718 Spyder I am sure will be a spectacular car. How can it not be, right? They listen to us!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:32 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

It is fun to read various viewpoints. Sort of brainstorming of possibilities. As we debate, the product road map has long been decided. We should start seeing prototypes in a year. I expect it to surface by spring of '18. As I have always maintained, here are my predictions:

- NA is a done deal.
- It isn't hard to spin up a production line for 3.8 engines. The engine is already homologated for mass production. X51 is a proven kit. This setup will meet Euro regs as of '19. From '20, it's a different story. It gets a lot more onerous. It's all about CO2 rather than MPG. Even boutique manufacturers like Caterham are gonna be on the hook. And, motorcycles too (these products have noise regs to deal with as well).
- Though GT4 and Spyder (for that matter, GTS) tend to be parts bin specials (with special tuning), they could have bespoke components. For example, 987 Spyder had bespoke suspension which later became the Sports Suspension; and, continues to evolve. So, 3.8 motor doesn't need to be in production in another model. They will just spin up a line. Just-in-time manufacturing. These days, factories are setup to be pretty flexible. It's not hard.
- GT3 engine (detuned or not) will be extremely unlikely to find a place in a Cayman or Boxster regardless what they are called. Besides the cost, this is the line Porsche will not cross. But, I would love to be wrong on this one! But then, they don't need a GT3 engine. 3.8 sings beautifully as is.
- I am surprised to hear about alleged new NA flat six being developed. If true, I would hazard this scenario: it could be a low displacement engine to be used in conjunction with the hybrid setup. For marketing reasons, NA Flat 6 + hybrid sounds (pun intended) better than NA Flat 4 + hybrid. Next gen platforms of 911 and 718 will have hybrids.

So, if you want a NA flat six, in a 718, you will have a shot!
Old 12-09-2016, 10:51 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

[QUOTE=the_rider;13800446]
- I am surprised to hear about alleged new NA flat six being developed./QUOTE]

I believe this is work being done on the GT3 etc engines due to the current problems.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:19 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by il pirata
I believe this is work being done on the GT3 etc engines due to the current problems.
Interesting. Haven't kept with GT3 forum in a while. Instead of fixing the problems, if they have to build a new engine, the situation must be pretty bad. Hopefully, that engine will see more than one model cycle. Cars like GT3 should remain NA for as long as possible. But then, it will lose out to turbo cars on the track. A lot of those GT3 drivers do track; so, they need to stay competitive. Hard choice.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The GT3 was created to race in a naturally aspirated class and the GT2 for the turbo charged class of cars. It was for homologation originally but now I'm not sure if it matters.

I don't see any reason why Porsche wouldn't drop a detuned NA engine into the new 718 Spyder and GT4. If they go to turbo's I would think they do the same for both cars so there's some development costs spread across both cars.

Either way it really doesn't matter to me since I'm happy with what I have and won't be in the market for a new one but it is fun to speculate.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:47 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

Did we forget this article a while back?
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/porsche-confirms-n-a-flat-6-will-live-on-in-718-boxster-spyder-718-cayman-gt4-109662.html#
Old 12-21-2016, 03:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Funny you mention it. We have had numerous anecdotal evidences and some overt comments from well placed sources within Porsche that NA is a done deal for Spyder and GT4. Yet, you will always have a group that would hold out until the official unveiling! :-) They just want to be absolutely sure; nothing wrong with that!

Last edited by spyderphile; 12-22-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-21-2016, 03:55 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Six-cylinder turbocharged engine wouldn't fit," the Porsche official declared to the Australian motoring publication. "Naturally aspirated [like] we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example. We keep this line of naturally aspirated engines in the GT3 and GT3 RS and so on, as well as GT4, we will develop it."

Where do you read Spyder in there ?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
"Six-cylinder turbocharged engine wouldn't fit," the Porsche official declared to the Australian motoring publication. "Naturally aspirated [like] we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example. We keep this line of naturally aspirated engines in the GT3 and GT3 RS and so on, as well as GT4, we will develop it."

Where do you read Spyder in there ?
Here is the original article... they state Spyder multiple times.
http://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/porsche-718-range-to-expand-20160719-gq9c92.html
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Did we forget this article a while back?
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/po...4-109662.html#
Originally Posted by the_rider
We have had numerous anecdotal evidences and some overt comments from well placed sources within Porsche that NA is a done deal for Spyder and GT4. Yet, you will always have a group that would hold out until the official unveiling! :-)
I'm with Henry and Donovan. The smoke signals coming out of Zuffenhausen have strongly suggested for some time now that the next Spyder/GT4 will be NA and, as these guys have noted, there have been several articles quoting people in the know, some of which are referenced below. I’m not sure why those who are predicting turbo power in the next Spyder are so quick to dismiss these accounts, particularly when nothing authoritative has been offered in rebuttal.

In stark contrast to all the NA reports, I haven't seen one article or interview indicating the next Spyder/GT4 will be turbocharged. As such, the weight of current evidence strongly favors NA, yet the majority here are still predicting turbo based on their own personal musings and speculation. That leaves me scratching my head. If left with a choice between your personal musings and statements coming directly from the lips of Porsche officials, apologies if I put more faith in the later!

1. From http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...19-gq9c92.html:

Porsche has confirmed the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder will live on. And despite the switch to an all-new pair of smaller four-cylinder turbocharged engines for regular models, the kings of the 718 range will continue to be powered by the same naturally-aspirated six-cylinder engines.

Speaking at the launch of the four-cylinder 718 Cayman and Cayman S, the man responsible for Porsche's sport cars, August Achleitner, Director of Product Lines 911/718, confirmed the hero models would return after their popular introduction.

Achleitner also revealed that the formula for the cars would remain the same - using a naturally-aspirated version of the company's iconic six-cylinder boxer engine.

2. From http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...flat-6-engines:

Porsche’s new 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman are fitted exclusively with turbocharged 4-cylinder engines, but more potent versions of the cars are coming and these will stick to naturally-aspirated flat-6 engines.

3. From https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/what-...next-few-years:

Fear not, though, as a GT4 version of the newly-named and newly-engined 718 Cayman will definitely be on the way, thanks to the huge success of the previous-gen Cayman GT4.

Like the new 718 Boxster, the standard 718 Cayman will be powered by a new turbocharged four-cylinder engine in place of the outgoing naturally-aspirated flat-six, but will this carry over to the GT-badged version?

“Not necessarily,” Preuninger said, before adding: “On the GT models we want the six cylinders, the atmospheric engines.”

The lightweight, hardcore version of the Boxster roadster will also make a return along with the GT4, and wearing a brand-spanking new 718 badge to boot. Preuninger reckons that the success of the 911 R’s purist ethos will see increasing demand from buyers looking to tap into that raw and lightweight attitude, even if the Spyder won’t be a pure-bred GT model.

“It’s devoid of everything luxury, and has a manual gearbox,” he said. “It falls into the same category as the R. Total devotion to looking for saving every single gram.”

4. Fromhttp://www.carscoops.com/2016/07/por...er-to-get.html:

When Porsche unveiled the new 718 Cayman and Boxster duo, many Porsche aficionados feared the naturally aspirated flat-six’s reign was over. However, Porsche still has an ace up its sleeve.

The new newly developed turbocharged flat-fours are more efficient and powerful than the flat-sixes they replace, with the base 2.0-liter boasting 299 PS (295 HP) and the 2.5-liter S putting out 349 PS (345 HP).

In case the average Porsche enthusiast wants something more raw and throaty, instead of offering a four-banger variant that will mimic the sound of a naturally aspirated flat-six, Porsche will bring the real deal to the table.

According to Drive, August Achleitner, Director of Product Lines 911/718, confirmed (at the launch of the four-cylinder 718 Cayman and Cayman S) that the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder will live on, powered by the same naturally-aspirated six-cylinder engines. And no, the 718-line-up won’t significantly expand more than bringing back the “hero” models . . .

5. From: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...et-4cyl-turbos:

The next Porsche Cayman and Boxster are in line to get four-cylinder turbocharged engines in a move that mirrors the shift to turbo power in the latest facelifted 911. While the mainstream versions will go turbo, performance orientated versions like the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder could retain their naturally aspirated engines.

Boxster and Cayman boss Dr Stefan Wechbach said feedback on the existing Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder’s 3.8-litre naturally aspirated engine was “overwhelming”, prompting talks of continuing atmospheric engine production for the hottest models in the next generation of cars.

“Maybe it’s even a point of differentiation that Porsche can still use naturally aspirated engines if the competition doesn’t in the future”, he said at the Frankfurt Motor Show this week.

Wechbach acknowledged the engineering challenges of offering both four- and six-cylinder engines in the same models, but mentioned some customers have asked Porsche about plug-in hybrid models too. “We have to deal [with these challenges] and we are dealing with them”, he said.

6. From http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/7/2...e-718-7734647/:

In an interview with Drive, August Achleitner, Director of Product Lines for the 911 and 718 confirmed that 718 versions of the GT4 and Spyder would keep the naturally aspirated flat-six. Achleitner stated that Porsche played around with the idea of giving the 718 the 3.0-liter turbocharged flat-six from the 991.2 911. However, the 718 twins do not have room in the engine bay for a turbocharged flat-six. We absolutely love this news that Porsche will continue to offer an enthusiast-focused model with a normally aspirated engine. This news may not be so great for people who purchased a GT4 or Boxster Spyder hoping for big appreciation. If these cars aren't the last of their kind, they may not go up in value as expected.

7. AP was interviewed in the May 2016 issue of GT Porsche:

"And what of the rumours of a four-cylinder turbocharged 718 GT4?

Preuninger says future Boxster and Cayman GT cars will still use six-cylinder normally-aspirated engines."

8. From http://www.autoevolution.com/news/po...t4-109662.html:

The 2017 Porsche 911 GT3 (991.2), for example, will continue to sing its song through a mildly updated 3.8-liter naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine. Moreover, it appears that the facelifted Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4 will be motivated by an updated version of the existing 3.8-liter boxer engine.

This information comes courtesy of August Achleitner, the director of product lines for the 911 and 718. Speaking to Drive, Achleitner confirmed that the flat-six is here to stay when the time comes for the Boxster Spyder and Cayman GT4 to add the 718 prefix.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder release date?