Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder release date?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 AM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Again, they aren't making this motor anymore, and the turbo 6 from 911 doesn't fit 718. Wishful thinking clashes with reality.. very doubtful next gt4/spyder could have a 6 cyl of any kind
May be they will make a bigger body to fit it, but I doubt it and I guess they will stick with the 4. IMHO at the most they will try to do a better job on the exhaust note to make it more appealing.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by CFIMarco
May be they will make a bigger body to fit it, but I doubt it and I guess they will stick with the 4. IMHO at the most they will try to do a better job on the exhaust note to make it more appealing.
So.. not a 718 then. Call me the reality ****.. I love the imagination more than anyone, but I love looking at facts on the ground and making realistic educated guesses even more. my educated guess, based on all the facts we have, is that there will be no more 6 cyl spyder/gt4, definitely not in the 718 body, for all the FACTS which Porsche has laid out already.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Again, they aren't making this motor anymore, and the turbo 6 from 911 doesn't fit 718. Wishful thinking clashes with reality.. very doubtful next gt4/spyder could have a 6 cyl of any kind
This is true, but they still have access to alot of them. Enough to warranty remaining 3.8L cars and perhaps a short production run of a 718 GT4.

Most likely it will be turbo however.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
This is true, but they still have access to alot of them. Enough to warranty remaining 3.8L cars and perhaps a short production run of a 718 GT4.

Most likely it will be turbo however.
It just doesn't work that way... Porsche doesn't do anything with "leftover" engines.. and we have no idea how many they have left over, although best educated guess is zero because everything is made JIT. Also, they don't produce new models without improvements over old ones, and also, after 991.2 GT3 there is no more NA. So, you can safely stay with the second statement you made as the former is again, pure wishful thinking based on ideas which have no basis of history or truth.

I mean, it clearly costs nothing to just throw out funny stuff, it's only the Internet after all.. but the forum has so much more value if we focus on facts as best we can no?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Perhaps Porsche will "figure" out the cooling issues with the 6 cylinder turbo and use it for the Spyder and GT4.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:29 PM
JBoxsterK
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

To feed the rumors a little bit more:
In German forums they claim that a new 6 cylinder NA engine is currently in development and on the test stands already...
They also claim several sources at PAG, that the next GT4/Spyder generation gets a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder NA (tuned down GT3 RS engine).
But as said before by others, most of this is "wishful thinking"...
We will now in about 2 years from now ;-)
Old 12-04-2016, 05:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Current GT3 engines are blowing up left and right, so I wouldn't want one of those in my car. But yes, reportedly a new design is in the works. And the newest revisions of the current GT3 engines have a lower redline. I heard both a GT3 and GT4 are full boil, and the sound was indistinguishable to my ears, therefore not a factor. And 981 engines with PSE actually sounds better at lower rpm. Much rather have a tried-and-true engine (like the Mezger) that is reliable than one that revs higher but unreliable. And if car is not going to be tracked, that decision is a no-brainer. Hopefully Porsche is doing the right amount of testing this time around, to avoid the embarrassment of the last 3 years. We'll see.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Perhaps Porsche will "figure" out the cooling issues with the 6 cylinder turbo and use it for the Spyder and GT4.
The they have to figure how to make it fit...
Old 12-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
The they have to figure how to make it fit...
The "It won't fit" schtick is total BS. First of all, they claim to have extensively retooled the 718's unibody. Only the trunk lid and one or two other minor parts has reportedly been carried over from the 981. This would have been an appropriate and obvious time to make any changes needed to package-protect the 911 engine.

Second of all, they are reported to be using the Cayman as the test mule for the turbo V8 in the on-again/off-again 960.

If Porsche's management had wanted the turbo flat-six to fit in the 718, then rest assured, it would have fit. Take my word for it or don't, but that's the way it works.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The "It won't fit" schtick is total BS.
Well, I know you have seen this before:

"“We were facing a complex task,” project leader Jan Roth tells us. “Marketing wanted to move the mid-engined twins further away from the rear-engined 911. The dedicated means to this end is the new four-cylinder boxer. Why not a smaller displacement flat-six? Because now that we are introducing turbocharging across the board, it would have been impossible to package the bigger powerplant. Believe me — it was difficult enough to find space for the flat-four and for the related extra intake and exhaust plumbing, not to mention the complex intercooler assembly. For these reasons alone, the six was never on our radar.”

So maybe he is massaging the message, or lying or whatever. I liked to take your word for it but all you have to offer is your opinion.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The "It won't fit" schtick is total BS. First of all, they claim to have extensively retooled the 718's unibody. Only the trunk lid and one or two other minor parts has reportedly been carried over from the 981. This would have been an appropriate and obvious time to make any changes needed to package-protect the 911 engine.

Second of all, they are reported to be using the Cayman as the test mule for the turbo V8 in the on-again/off-again 960.

If Porsche's management had wanted the turbo flat-six to fit in the 718, then rest assured, it would have fit. Take my word for it or don't, but that's the way it works.
Just because they could have done it when they were designing the 718, doesn't mean they can do it now. If they designed the 718 to fit a turbo 4 and not a turbo 6, it's very possible/likely that the turbo 6 is never going to fit and is not an option. And using a motor in a test mule in stripped form is a lot different than using it in a production car.

The issue isn't what they did or why, it's simply will it fit now and the answer appears to be no.

I'm in the camp that the 718 GT4 and Spyder are going to be turbo 4 variants, but I think Porsche will not only add significant performance to the powertrain, I expect the overall car (components and styling) with be a big step forward performance wise over their 981 brethren and decidedly different than the standard 718S.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
Did it?
Not the current 991.2 turbo-6, but there are aftermarket turbo flat-6's in the 981.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

See my .sig. If they had wanted it to fit, it would have fit.

The orders would have been either a) "Make it fit," or b) "Make damned sure it doesn't fit." Questions like engine package planning are not left to chance, or to the discretion of low-level people.

My guess is that they won't undermine the 718's marketing effort by going back to a six-cylinder car in any future Spyder/GT variants, even if it's technically possible.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
the 6 cylinder turbo wil not fit in the 718 tub.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

It just doesn't work that way... Porsche doesn't do anything with "leftover" engines.. and we have no idea how many they have left over, although best educated guess is zero because everything is made JIT. Also, they don't produce new models without improvements over old ones, and also, after 991.2 GT3 there is no more NA. So, you can safely stay with the second statement you made as the former is again, pure wishful thinking based on ideas which have no basis of history or truth.

I mean, it clearly costs nothing to just throw out funny stuff, it's only the Internet after all.. but the forum has so much more value if we focus on facts as best we can no?
The GT3 Cup, GT3R and RSR for 2017 all have normally aspirated DFI motors.
These engines will continue onto 2018-2019.

It would not be unrealistic for porsche to stuff a X51 3.8L in a 718 GT4.

But again, it is merely internet speculation. Nothing factual.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder release date?