Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Winter/All Season Tire in VA Winter Season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:56 AM
AeroStadt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Winter/All Season Tire in VA Winter Season?

Live in Virginia. Second vehicle is a 13 981. Low milage to and from wife's work. Pirelli PZero's currently. Any Mid-Atlantic owners putting winter or all-season tires on for the winter? We don't get a lot of snow here, but we do get somewhat cold. She can drive the Jeep if it snows hard. What tires and size are you running in a more applicable winter tire? I'd buy a set of dedicated wheels as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

If temps routinely get below 40 degrees you do not want to be on the P Zero's. The rubber compound tends to harden and you'll slip and slid around. If you don't get much if any snow, consider all season tires. Michelin Pilot A/S 3's are a good all season performance tire. If you regularly get snow, winter tires are a must as the P Zero's may not even get you up a slight incline.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I live in the northeast, but I have a set of snow tires that I put on my car last winter, and I plan to do the same this year. I don't drive every day, but I also don't want to leave my car in the garage for 4 months straight (or drive on summer tires in sub-freezing temps).

I got Michelin Pilot Sport Alpin tires, and they work great in cold weather and light snow (in deep snow, the ground clearance could become an issue). Between the winter rubber and PSM, my Cayman tracked straight and felt stable all winter.

I have stock 19" wheels and stock tires sizes for the snows, by the way - my dealer sold me the tires for basically Tire Rack prices

Quick Reply: 981 Winter/All Season Tire in VA Winter Season?