Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - 987.2 Boxster - 1st Post

Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I love the 987 Boxster - size, proportions are right. Your car is Guards is just great looking - use it well!!

Thanks Phil G. Your car was my objective when I went shopping! Not easy to find a clean 981 S in GT Silver/Black with spec. The 718 made me anxious to get something. One trip to the dealer and a test drive and I realized the formula has been changed significantly. 718 is a great car but not my cup of tea. Got my hands on a clean flat six with 6MT and put my mind at ease!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

John, let me pile on with the congrats and say welcome to mid-engine nirvana! Great choice. I have such a love for the 987.

Have fun with this beauty!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by mbsl98
I got the vented seats on my 987.2 but wouldn't have ordered them if I was spec'ing it new. Now I love them - a really positive extra even here in Boston. I did want the dimming outside mirrors and didn't get them. Miss them every time I am on highway at night.

One point about power. I have a partner at work with a new 981 base (bought in 2014). He was thinking he made a mistake not getting the S for the extra power. His problem really was that he was not running that sweet base in the right rpm range. If you run around at 3k or less, it will feel like a slug, but keep it at 4500 and up, where it really loves to be, and I bet you will find all the response you want for road use. Not that I don't love the added power of my S, but the base is really very good if driven properly (at higher rpm's than non-Porsche drivers would usually do for everyday use).

Thank you mbls98. I appreciate your thoughts on spec. One thing I left out - in addition to heated/ventilated seats the car has heated steering wheel, an option I truly appreciate. I had two wonderful E90 BMW 3-series - an 08 and an 11. In retrospect the 08 was my "learning car" - I bought it off the lot and didn't fully consider what it would be like to live with. As a result was never truly satisfied with the car. Two years later (and honestly earlier than prudent) I traded for the '11 and spec'd with cold weather package and bi-xenons. Made all the difference. I know it sounds lame but would be hard pressed to buy another car without the heated wheel.

Also appreciate your thoughts on driving the 2.9. I'm a gearhead and have been studying hp and torque curves. Flat 215 lb-ft torque starting at 4500 up to 6500 peak hp looks to be the 2.9's "happy zone" - 2nd gear for most city driving. That will definitely take some getting used to!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 PM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
John, let me pile on with the congrats and say welcome to mid-engine nirvana! Great choice. I have such a love for the 987.

Have fun with this beauty!

Thank you Suicide Jockey. Your GTS is awesome (I would hate to think how I would behave with that!)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:36 AM
eric1234
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations John!! I had my eye on that very same car. I had considered heading out to OH to check it out (I live in CT) - but had previously traveled out to Minneapolis to find that a 2010 Boxster at a VW dealer was not what they had described. As such, my wife wasn't keen on another long distance purchase. I think that it being a CPO makes it well worth the price, and a screaming good deal.

For my taste - that is the PERFECT combination with Red over Black. It is perfectly optioned.

I finally found a very nice 2009 Boxster S, similarly optioned, and in great condition. It's a silver one, which is nice, but not as nice as the Red/Black. I'm loving it, as I'm sure you will love your 2011. :-)

Enjoy!

Eric
Old 10-29-2016, 02:41 AM
johnbplus9
Track Day

Originally Posted by eric1234
Congratulations John!! I had my eye on that very same car. I had considered heading out to OH to check it out (I live in CT) - but had previously traveled out to Minneapolis to find that a 2010 Boxster at a VW dealer was not what they had described. As such, my wife wasn't keen on another long distance purchase. I think that it being a CPO makes it well worth the price, and a screaming good deal.

For my taste - that is the PERFECT combination with Red over Black. It is perfectly optioned.

I finally found a very nice 2009 Boxster S, similarly optioned, and in great condition. It's a silver one, which is nice, but not as nice as the Red/Black. I'm loving it, as I'm sure you will love your 2011. :-)

Enjoy!

Eric

Thank you Eric1234. Your silver s is awesome. I promise to take good care of red. See you around the forum! Cheers, John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member - 987.2 Boxster - 1st Post