Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Engine Compartment Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 AM
RBatsch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 Engine Compartment Fan

The engine compartment fan (right side vent behind the passenger door) does not seem to run once the ignition is off...is this right? It's been very hot lately and after a spirited drive I can hear the fan running when the engine is on but as soon as I turn the ignition off, the fan stops with the engine. If I turn on the ignition, but not the engine, the fan will start to run again...as long s the ignition is on.

Is the fan supposed to run with the ignition off?

2008 Boxster S
Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Mine will run after the engine is turned off depending on how hot it is. Usually the AC would need to be running to get the engine that hot, it rarely comes on if ever when the AC was off.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 PM
jklaspok
4th Gear

Mine, like yours does not continue to run. I personally don't see the benefit once the engine is shut down. Maybe someone can enlighten us.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I just noted that it's a 2008 Boxster so technically it's an entirely different engine than mine. Perhaps it was changed for the 9A1 which was introduced in 2009. Dissipating excessive heat is never a bad thing as it keeps plastic and rubber parts from deteriorating. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been done on the earlier engine.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:04 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Even though the fan shuts off when the ignition is first turned off the fan may turn on again if the engine compartment gets hot enough. I suspect the fan operation is limited to a certain number of minutes of operation to avoid draining the battery, and I haven't heard mine run longer than a few minutes.
From my experience it takes a 90+ degree day plus a long drive to hear the fan run after the ignition is off.
The following users liked this post:
lastone (02-11-2023)
Old 08-06-2016, 09:52 AM
RBatsch
Intermediate

Thank-you very much gentlemen. I spent a bit of time with my car after shutting it off on very hot days (no AC running as I hardly ever use it). And what I've noticed is that although the fan will stop once the ignition is switched off, as Spokayman said, the fan will start up again in a few minutes as the engine bay becomes heat soaked. So it would appear all is working as it should!

Quick Reply: 987.1 Engine Compartment Fan