Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Best auto lift to service the boxster spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Kcobra
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best auto lift to service the boxster spyder

I have a scissor lift but was thinking about going with a 4 post lift. Unfortunately my garage ceiling height can't accommodate the benefit of storing 2 cars on the 4 post but would be used for the purpose of service work. Hence I was wondering which one would be more functional for servicing the car.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 05-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I had a 4 post in our last house and I miss it dearly. It made detailing and basic maintenance super easy. I didn't have the additional accessories which lifted the wheels off the lift which meant any wheel/brake work had to be done on the ground.

What type of scissor lift do you have, can you post a few pictures? I have been debating getting one of these to be able to do basic maintence but I'm not sure it goes high enough to prevent laying on the ground.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:55 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Best auto lift to service the boxster spyder

I've got the best of both worlds at this point. I have a four post at my house but I also have a MaxJack at my garage condo. Between the two, if I had to pick only one of them, I'd go with the four post. Overall, I find it to be more useful. If you have dedicated space for servicing vehicles, a good quality two post would be my preference, but unless you are a shop owner, the four post offers far more functionality. The wheel service compromise isn't that tough to overcome, just invest in good jack stands and a jack and you'll be set.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Kcobra
Advanced

Default Scissor lift picks

I already had a scissor lift before I purchased the Spyder this week. So, I decided to see how it worked and quite frankly its a perfect fit. Its height is 54" (picture has it at 40") and gives pretty good access to the engine. I may get a 4 post if the scissor can fit in between and use the scissor for wheel / suspension service since I already have it.
Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Kcobra
Advanced

If you are interested in a scissor lift you also have to purchase the Race Ramps (Summit Racing). I discovered them about 2 years after owning the lift and they work great. Prior I was using wood (NOT good).
Old 05-22-2016, 07:07 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MaxJax is pretty handy, mid-rise ( 48" ) is good for wheels, brakes and maintenance. DIY installation...

Donn
Old 05-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Kcobra
Advanced

I would go that route but as you can see, I have space issues!

Quick Reply: Best auto lift to service the boxster spyder