Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Size Options for Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:38 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Did some of us get n0 and some got n1 on the Spyders? I need to check. Fwiw, I don't like the feel I get from the tires, but as I'm still on first set I don't know if it's the electric steering which feels so dead, or tires. They also feet a bit slippery when I'm on it in the turns. Looking forward to trying something different
I believe that would be the steering. It's electric. I got used to it. Doesn't stop me from going quick or placing the car how I want to but it definitely is a bit dead.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Did some of us get n0 and some got n1 on the Spyders? I need to check. Fwiw, I don't like the feel I get from the tires, but as I'm still on first set I don't know if it's the electric steering which feels so dead, or tires. They also feet a bit slippery when I'm on it in the turns. Looking forward to trying something different
Yes, as I mentioned I got N0. N0 gets outrated by a lot of other tires on Tire Rack etc. Here's one:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

Tire rack has not done comparison testing of the N1 yet.

I do not think the steering is "dead", it is not as direct as in the 987.2 Spyder but it's quicker, and that plus the improved chassis/suspension bits makes overall handling better to me.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I believe that would be the steering. It's electric. I got used to it. Doesn't stop me from going quick or placing the car how I want to but it definitely is a bit dead.
I got N1. It is still numb! I read that the GT4's feel is better, which came from GT3. Perhaps technically savvy members could explain why Porsche didn't offer GT4's setup, instead of sticking the rack from 991 Turbo.

I think the steering feel will improve if switched to better rubber such as Pilot Super Sport or Cup 2. Few months ago, I switched to Super Sport on the S2000. The steering feel immediately improved. It is a lot meatier and with more feel. In fact, the steering feels better than Spyder's; but, lot slower. Spyder's steering is pretty quick. But, I prefer meatier feel over quickness.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by the_rider
I got N1. It is still numb! I read that the GT4's feel is better, which came from GT3. Perhaps technically savvy members could explain why Porsche didn't offer GT4's setup, instead of sticking the rack from 991 Turbo.

I think the steering feel will improve if switched to better rubber such as Pilot Super Sport or Cup 2. Few months ago, I switched to Super Sport on the S2000. The steering feel immediately improved. It is a lot meatier and with more feel. In fact, the steering feels better than Spyder's; but, lot slower. Spyder's steering is pretty quick. But, I prefer meatier feel over quickness.
I think the steering is the same between the Spyder and GT4 hardwarewise - just the GT4 gets the GT3 front suspension for track work. Also you could be right but simply switching the tire compounds would probably be a big improvement.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I think the steering is the same between the Spyder and GT4 hardwarewise - just the GT4 gets the GT3 front suspension for track work. Also you could be right but simply switching the tire compounds would probably be a big improvement.
I do remember reading from Porsche's press release about the commonality between GT3 and GT4. Here are some excerpts from the media:

- From 'Automobile' magazine:
....Porsche claims the GT4’s steering is even better than the GT3’s, thanks to the latest tuning and software. ......

.....The suspension, steering, and brakes come from the GT3 and the 3.8-liter flat-six engine is from the Carrera S, though at $85,595, the Cayman GT4 is $45,400 cheaper than the 911 GT3......

- From 'Road and Track':
....The suspension and steering up front have been plucked straight out of the 911 GT3, ....

- From 'Car and Driver':
.....The front suspension has been pretty much taken straight from the GT3, with the two cars sharing hub carriers, shim-adjustable control arms, and the same steering rack. ....

....The steering feels pretty much identical to the GT3’s—not too heavy, with a strong caster feel and delivering far more information than Porsche allows to pass through the electrical assistance of its regular cars......
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

I do remember reading from Porsche's press release about the commonality between GT3 and GT4. Here are some excerpts from the media:

....Porsche claims the GT4’s steering is even better than the GT3’s, thanks to the latest tuning and software. ......

.....The suspension, steering, and brakes come from the GT3 and the 3.8-liter flat-six engine is from the Carrera S, though at $85,595, the Cayman GT4 is $45,400 cheaper than the 911 GT3......

- From 'Road and Track':
....The suspension and steering up front have been plucked straight out of the 911 GT3, ....

- From 'Car and Driver':
.....The front suspension has been pretty much taken straight from the GT3, with the two cars sharing hub carriers, shim-adjustable control arms, and the same steering rack. ....

....The steering feels pretty much identical to the GT3’s—not too heavy, with a strong caster feel and delivering far more information than Porsche allows to pass through the electrical assistance of its regular cars......
Thanks for sharing that!
Old 08-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just checked and I have the N1 spec PZero tires on my Spyder, so the newer ones. Guess I will have reserve judgment on the MPSS vs these PZero until I get a chance to further evaluate.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM
il pirata
Banned

There is a test on Tire Rack now that includes MPSS and the Pirelli PZ4, but not the N1 version as the car was a BMW.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=218
Old 08-25-2016, 07:49 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I must be an outlier. I think the Spyder's steering is dialed in, even when comparing to hydaulic units from my "pure" cars of today and years past. The fact that it is electric makes it that much more impressive.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:09 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by kskpsu
I must be an outlier. I think the Spyder's steering is dialed in, even when comparing to hydaulic units from my "pure" cars of today and years past. The fact that it is electric makes it that much more impressive.
I must say the steering feel for me has changed as in I got more used to it. I only have 2200 miles on it since I got it in March. But I am liking the steering more and more. It's pinpoint accurate and really fast and twitchy just how I like it. Now if I go back to my M3 I am sure I will find it dull and slow despite having more road feel in it. I think what Porsche have done is impressive and give enough info through the wheel and nothing more. And now it's an exercise for the driver to adapt to it and make of it what they will. Also psi set to 30 on the Pirellis helped I think. Sure my mpg dropped a bit meh!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

- From 'Road and Track':

- From 'Car and Driver':

This is correct for the GT4, but the Spyder steering is actually 'plucked' from the 911 Turbo.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by kskpsu
Interesting, thanks for the input.

So the front diameters are as follows:

235/35 OEM: 26.4"

245/35: 26.8"

If I were to change the fronts to 245/35 and the rears to 285/35, they increase in diameter by roughly the same percentage.

Another, cheaper option is to leave the front as-is and address the rears only with wider PZeros.
this is what I'm thinking of doing.. my stock front tires have plenty of tread.. going to leave those 235/35/20 on and go to 295/30/20.. which keeps the same diameter in rear as the stock 265/35/20...
Originally Posted by JBoxsterK
Hi,

A Spyder driver from Germany put the same tires as the GT4 on its standard Spyder wheels and it seems worked out very well.
Tire is MPSS and formats are:
- Rear: MPSS 295/30/20
- Front: MPSS 245/35/20

He posted some pics and it works without any spacers, as I understood.

this is very helpful thank you.. hopefully my 235 fronts wont' look too weird with the 295 rears... if so i'll change the fronts as well.. hate to throw away good tires with a lot of tread on them still though.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:00 PM
il pirata
Banned

this is what I'm thinking of doing.. my stock front tires have plenty of tread.. going to leave those 235/35/20 on and go to 295/30/20.. which keeps the same diameter in rear as the stock 265/35/20...
Understeer will increase...
Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Understeer will increase...
So, leave the fronts 235 and just increase rear?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:19 PM
il pirata
Banned

So, leave the fronts 235 and just increase rear?

no...if the front stays the same and rear width is wider understeer will increase.

Now honestly by how much, and will it be noticeable for street driving? Not much and maybe no difference. For me at least, less understeer then from the factory (to a point) is better, so anything done that increases it I avoid.

Quick Reply: Tire Size Options for Spyder