Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Size Options for Spyder

Old 05-09-2016, 02:23 AM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Really - compared to the Super Sports (not the Cup)? On the 991 the MPSS were (IMHO) a lot quieter, absorbed bumps better and delivered better grip. I'm a fan of them, so curious about folks experience.
My experience too on a 2014 Audi S6.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:30 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't have anything useful to share in terms of size (as I happen to believe in following the original specs, unless proven otherwise). However, I do vote for Michelin Super Sports. Just a few weeks ago switched to them on the S2000. The difference is felt immediately. The steering feel is lot meatier; and, the feel gotten much better as well. Previously, I was running Bridgestone RE-11. In fact, S2000's steering now feels lot better than Spyder's! Never thought I would say that about a Porsche, let alone a Spyder! (ok, 987, you win!)

So, I suspect, if you switch to Super Sports, Spyder's steering feel is likely to get better.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:36 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Really - compared to the Super Sports (not the Cup)? On the 991 the MPSS were (IMHO) a lot quieter, absorbed bumps better and delivered better grip. I'm a fan of them, so curious about folks experience.
The P-Zeros are a bit quieter but you get a much stiffer sidewall and better turn in response and more grip.

My Spyder is fine with the PSS balance wise. It understeers a bit more, which is to say that you can occasionally induce understeer if you really want to, but it just means you can get on the gas sooner. Oversteer is still a drop of the throttle at turn in or a stomp of it early just like with the 235/265 setup
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
The P-Zeros are a bit quieter but you get a much stiffer sidewall and better turn in response and more grip.
You're saying the P-Zeros have more grip? I think most people would disagree with you on that. As well as them being the quieter tire.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:06 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, he says:
P-zero is quieter, but (with the MPSS) you get a much stiffer sidewall and better turn in response and more grip.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoxsterK
Hi,

A Spyder driver from Germany put the same tires as the GT4 on its standard Spyder wheels and it seems worked out very well.
Tire is MPSS and formats are:
- Rear: MPSS 295/30/20
- Front: MPSS 245/35/20

He posted some pics and it works without any spacers, as I understood.
Interesting, that's the size of the MPSS I just took off my 991, that are sitting in the garage. I'll have to look into using them, and check if it throws things off.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Subscribed. I do think the Spyder needs the tires to be a bit wider. I find it interesting how the wheel lip protrudes further than the tires in its stock set up. That said, I am sure it can handle 285 rears very easily.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:48 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a 'sport' alignment to my Spyder before tracking it at Road Atlanta. I only had MPSS in my E92 M3 before and I also got it 'sport' aligned - maybe it's the weight of the car or something but the grip I experienced at Road Atlanta in the Spyder was just absolutely mind-blowing with the Pirellis. No way I could have done that with the MPSS in the M3. To me I would need to be able to drive the Spyder mounted with MPSS then I could make the decision but the Pirellis were just outstanding. They took the punishment in 100 degree weather and even though my pressures were high (almost 38 hot) they remained absolutely fantastic in terms of grip. Only once did I feel like the rear stepped out going in to turn 3 and I had to catch it with a lot of oppo lock but I think it could be some crap on the track because a little afterwards a Mustang crashed out in to turn 1 which was really strange. Perhaps it had spilled some fluid and that caught me out. I thought I would hate the Pirellis but I can't say enough how much better they worked than the MPSS for me. That said I am switching to 245/285 Sport Cup 2 tires asap because I am now addicted to the mid corner grip!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:00 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I did a 'sport' alignment to my Spyder before tracking it at Road Atlanta. I only had MPSS in my E92 M3 before and I also got it 'sport' aligned - maybe it's the weight of the car or something but the grip I experienced at Road Atlanta in the Spyder was just absolutely mind-blowing with the Pirellis. No way I could have done that with the MPSS in the M3. To me I would need to be able to drive the Spyder mounted with MPSS then I could make the decision but the Pirellis were just outstanding. They took the punishment in 100 degree weather and even though my pressures were high (almost 38 hot) they remained absolutely fantastic in terms of grip. Only once did I feel like the rear stepped out going in to turn 3 and I had to catch it with a lot of oppo lock but I think it could be some crap on the track because a little afterwards a Mustang crashed out in to turn 1 which was really strange. Perhaps it had spilled some fluid and that caught me out. I thought I would hate the Pirellis but I can't say enough how much better they worked than the MPSS for me. That said I am switching to 245/285 Sport Cup 2 tires asap because I am now addicted to the mid corner grip!
In that case please post a comparison when you get them.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
Pirellis are quieter than the MPSS
On a tire comparison I read a while back, the MPSSs were the quietest by far. And also won every other category, including rain (by far too), and dry grip too (by a little bit). But remember comparisons are typically made with the SAME tire category, which in this case is 'MAX SUMMER'. Extreme summer tires will have better hot grip, but are noisier, last less, and provide less wet/cold grip. Oh, and MPSSs are known to have soft sidewalls, by the way. Folks compensate for that with higher pressures. Only way to find out which one you like best in a particular car is to try them. Finally, I was under the impression the Spyder and GT4 were basically the same car but one coupe and the other convertible. Turns out the Spyder doesn't have Sport PASM suspension, and also not the wider wheels/tires. Guess will have to read more about their differences.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by 981spyder
In that case please post a comparison when you get them.
Definitely will. Just to get some numbers but I was pulling almost 1.3g in the right hand turns and 1.2g in the left hand turns at Road Atlanta. Also the hardest braking in the track I got around 1.1g and it's downhill braking actually. I was trying to be a bit gentle with the car since it has so few miles on it but that should give an idea of the grip. And while on the topic of grip, the alignment made the car much much more neutral and checkable. I had already found the limit of the front of the car on some of my favorite public roads and was expecting a bit better performance at the track as a result of the alignment and I must say it exceed my expectations tremendously. I could not be happier. It was just a matter of throwing the car in the corners and it just stuck!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

bump...
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Everyone mentioning Pirelli needs to be more specific, and in particular to the 2016 Boxster Spyder, which version of Pirelli P Zero they are referring to. There is a new version of the P Zero (PZ4 and N1) which is suppose be be much improved and supposedly shipping on later 2016 models. I have the N0 version on the 2106 Spyder which in no way or shape or form is better than the Michelin PSS.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:17 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by il pirata
Everyone mentioning Pirelli needs to be more specific, and in particular to the 2016 Boxster Spyder, which version of Pirelli P Zero they are referring to. There is a new version of the P Zero (PZ4 and N1) which is suppose be be much improved and supposedly shipping on later 2016 models. I have the N0 version on the 2106 Spyder which in no way or shape or form is better than the Michelin PSS.
Fair point and I agree. I have the N1 spec PZero on my Spyder. They are quite phenomenal. I will be switching to Sport Cup 2s down the road when I need to. They are quite pricey!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Did some of us get n0 and some got n1 on the Spyders? I need to check. Fwiw, I don't like the feel I get from the tires, but as I'm still on first set I don't know if it's the electric steering which feels so dead, or tires. They also feet a bit slippery when I'm on it in the turns. Looking forward to trying something different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Size Options for Spyder