Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody tracking their 981 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I tracked my Spyder once. Just to feel what the pull of that 3.8 was like. It was awesome. However in every other respect, I prefer my track modified 02 Boxster S. Cage gives me more safety. Moton suspension/GT3 lower control arms give me better handling. Brakes-it's a tie, or maybe a slight nod to the Spyder whose brakes are amazing.

Bottom line for me, safety trumps all else so the Spyder will remain a street car with perhaps an auto cross event thrown into the mix now and then.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM
trakmor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=texasviany;13183343]
Originally Posted by trakmor
Great question. I think everyone needs to take their personal level of risk into account and make a decision based on risk/benefit, etc, etc. Not sure I would make my primary track car an open top, or learn to drive the first several days in an open top...but I do think this car was made for the track. Not all that far off of the GT4 really. Drive within the limits of the car, but more importantly...drive within you own limits.

I have a GT4 arriving in June. That will be my primary track car.
I am jealous. You'll have to let us know how the two compare.

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I tracked my Spyder once. Just to feel what the pull of that 3.8 was like. It was awesome. However in every other respect, I prefer my track modified 02 Boxster S. Cage gives me more safety. Moton suspension/GT3 lower control arms give me better handling. Brakes-it's a tie, or maybe a slight nod to the Spyder whose brakes are amazing.

Bottom line for me, safety trumps all else so the Spyder will remain a street car with perhaps an auto cross event thrown into the mix now and then.
Will probably do what texasviany did and drive at 7/10 maybe 8/10's (though his 7/10's is my 10/10's----he is a better driver than me, dammit!)

I am planning on roughly six days (8, maybe 10?) this year once I have gotten past the break in with the Spyder. I figure the 19" wheels will give me more options and debating on pagids vs. OEM pads-pagids squeal like hell on the street. Will probably stick with the OEM rotors for the time being.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What size 19" wheels and how much off set , thinking about picking up a set too but unsure also my dealer said out if the blue when I was in last that the spyder is very particular as to its respective tire and wheel size

Any thoughts
Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 PM
trakmor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
What size 19" wheels and how much off set , thinking about picking up a set too but unsure also my dealer said out if the blue when I was in last that the spyder is very particular as to its respective tire and wheel size

Any thoughts
I haven't looked into specifics yet, though figure it shouldn't be all that hard. The tough ones should be to fronts? with the 991s brakes. But I hear you can get 19" on the 991s. Let me know the details and how they work out if you pull the trigger on them. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:26 AM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I have a saying...if you have a $100 head, then you buy a $100 helmet!

As for rolling it, I never go above 70% on a track at a DE event. I'm not event squealing the tires. Why risk anything? I'm not getting paid anymore to take risks.

I instruct, and I can't tell you how many people are way to close to the limit on the track. They drive like they are sponsored by their insurance company!
Having run at COTA in my 987, I can say you are really running a masterful line, especially that first lap, and some really fast times. And it SEEMS like the car/driver are just cruising as easy as you please well under the limit of both the car and the driver. Great video, and how nice to call COTA your home track.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 AM
trakmor
Intermediate

Quick question on the spyder and track use again. I have been looking around the internet for some rear brake pads that will fit the spyder (981) and will hold up to track use. The OEM pads are ok, but am having issues with them over time (heavy grooving, squealing, "scortched rotors", etc). Have run Pagids on other cars with minimal issues. Fronts are easy enough to find, rears not so much. Any thoughts on rear fitment for track worthy pads?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tracked my Spyder at AMP and Road Atlanta as soon as the car hit 1500 miles. Was hitting 140 mph in the back straight at Road Atlanta consistently. I wasn't going for outright pace but the limited crappy onboard videos I took I was doing mid 1 m 30s at AMP and similar time at Road Atlanta. Hopefully this year I can get proper lap times and a decent setup to record video. It's a very fun track car. Was pulling 1.4g in the corners and car is bone stock.

It's amazing how quick the car is and how much other track drivers underestimate a pretty blue Spyder. Usually I let myself and the car warm up for 2 laps...oil temps, tire pressures etc to get up to speed. I wave by everyone and then I claw them back. What sucks though is when people refuse to wave me by. A 2016 Nissan GT-R nearly spun out in the corners trying to keep me in check and then finally had to wave me by. The Spyder totally flatters your driving and makes you feel invincible but you gotta be quick on your feet to catch it sliding. I think the Pirellis have great grip but when they let go they really let go!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by trakmor
Took a quick look through the current threads and didn't see anything specific on tracking the 2016 Spyder. Just wanted to run some questions by people that may have tracked their car, or are going to track the spyder...or that just have more general knowledge on the topic.

General impression of the car on track?
Also interested in thoughts on 19" wheels, so I can fit the RE-71's?
Recc's on wheels? Also tires?
Anybody putting GT4 sized rims and rubber on the car? Impressions?
Any thoughts on OEM brakes/rotors wear?

Still working on break in and don't plan on getting it out to the track for another couple of months, so I have time to think and plan. First several days will be with the stock set up (the car came with free tires and brake pads!)

Any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I am planning on trying out Trofeo Rs in OEM size when I need new rubber. I also got an aggressive alignment done on the car before tracking and it made a big difference as I was getting a lot of understeer. Now the limit has been pushed way high up as a result of the alignment and I can really push. Then it starts to understeer a tad but can be cure by being firm on the gas pedal. Then when it all gets too overhwhelming for the car it turns into an epic 4 wheel drift. I am hoping the Trofeo R will let me carry a lot more corner speed.

Down the road intention is to get Guards LSD done, some carbon aero bits, and Dundon race headers. Have not researched brake pads as of yet but I did get the fluid swapped out already after a the 2 track days to Castrol SRF. I need to start looking in to pads. I will stick with OEM most likely since I usually don't brake as hard.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

The only time I tracked my Spyder a 996 Cup could barely pull me down the back straight at Sebring with me carrying a 250 lb passenger. I didn't time myself and since I have a dedicated track car, don't intend to track it much in the future. But it sure was fun that day.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I need to start looking in to pads.
Here's the Pagid listings:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Sear...spyder&Submit=

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Cheers for the link!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 PM
trakmor
Intermediate

I tracked my Spyder at AMP and Road Atlanta as soon as the car hit 1500 miles. Was hitting 140 mph in the back straight at Road Atlanta consistently. I wasn't going for outright pace but the limited crappy onboard videos I took I was doing mid 1 m 30s at AMP and similar time at Road Atlanta. Hopefully this year I can get proper lap times and a decent setup to record video. It's a very fun track car. Was pulling 1.4g in the corners and car is bone stock.

It's amazing how quick the car is and how much other track drivers underestimate a pretty blue Spyder. Usually I let myself and the car warm up for 2 laps...oil temps, tire pressures etc to get up to speed. I wave by everyone and then I claw them back. What sucks though is when people refuse to wave me by. A 2016 Nissan GT-R nearly spun out in the corners trying to keep me in check and then finally had to wave me by. The Spyder totally flatters your driving and makes you feel invincible but you gotta be quick on your feet to catch it sliding. I think the Pirellis have great grip but when they let go they really let go!
Really is a great car on the track. Easily as quick as my old 991 C2S PDK car if it had the same rubber, and barely a tick slower with much smaller tires. And not to be sacrilegious, but....more fun to drive! On the road and track

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
The only time I tracked my Spyder a 996 Cup could barely pull me down the back straight at Sebring with me carrying a 250 lb passenger. I didn't time myself and since I have a dedicated track car, don't intend to track it much in the future. But it sure was fun that day.
Not surprised. The spyder just cooks around the circuit, it's just so light and responsive. It's not my primary track car either, but with how much fun it is it is hard for me to keep it off the track.

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Thanks for the link. Looks like it shares pads with the base 991.1 carrera, I feel pretty sharp for not being able to figure that one out
Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I loved mine on track which is why I want to find one again...
Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for another AMP member
Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by tmc
+1 for another AMP member
Unfortunately I am not an AMP member. Too rich for my blood I try to find various organizations that do track days at AMP and Road Atlanta and just show up there. Those 2 tracks are really close to me so that's where I go to once or twice a year.

Quick Reply: Anybody tracking their 981 Spyder?