Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottom positions of door windows are different and one touch does not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:10 PM
ievsdoma
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bottom positions of door windows are different and one touch does not work

Hello,

This issue needs a little bit of context, sorry for the lots of text.

I had a leak on the driver's side of my RHD 2005 Boxster 2.7 Manual. I brought the car to a mechanic, who raised the window with adjustment screws, and leak was gone for a month. I brought the car again, the mechanic raised the window even more, but that worked only for a week. I brought the car the third time, insisting that something needs to be replaced, and they replaced a rubber gasket. This helped with the leak, but now one touch window operation does not work on the driver side and windows are positioned differently.

So the symptoms are:
1. No driver side window one touch operation while door convenience feature works fine
2. No passenger window one touch operation with the buttons on the driver's door, but works fine when operated from the passenger door
3. Driver side window goes all the way inside the door and stops about half inch lower than the top edge of the door, while the passenger side window stops just above the edge
Here are the photos:
Passenger side:

Driver side:

It's hard to see the edge of the window inside the door and even harder to take a good photo of it. Unfortunately, I did not have the car since new, so I do not know how it is supposed to be with a new gasket.

I tried resetting the windows the same way I did after a battery was replaced, and that did not help.

I went to the mechanic once more. They said the driver side window is this low because they lowered it to compensate for the new gasket. I expected something like that, but I thought the adjustment would be just few millimetres rather than half inch.
Then they hooked up a KTM and discovered window module errors. After the errors had been cleared, one touch operation worked up, but not down. After few times that stopped working again and the errors were back. The mechanic told me it's something with the computer module on the motor and it cannot remember the positions. So entire motor assembly must be replaced.
Also, water got inside the door through the place, where the side mirror is mounted. The mechanic assured me the water cannot harm the motor.

I have reasons to doubt that, because it's hard to believe that a computer stops working just a little bit. I presume it's made on a single chip, so when memory on a chip goes bust, then everything wouldn't work. The most plausible explanation I can come up with is that the window mechanism is too low now, and the lowest position is beyond the computer memory range. That's why it has trouble remembering it.
Could please someone tell me where was the lowest window position on a new car? Is it above or below the door?
Do you have a better explanation for the issue than me?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try disconnecting the battery and then perform the learning procedure. Failing that find a better mechanic.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:34 PM
ievsdoma
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer. The result of unplugging the battery was the same as clearing the error with KTM - one touch works up and not down. I think I should expect it to stop working at all after few cycles.
I got a suggestion that I may need to check the cable going from the car into the door. The water which got inside the door may have reached it and made some damage.

Quick Reply: Bottom positions of door windows are different and one touch does not work