Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black/Black 2016 Boxster Spyder with LWB's! Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoxsterK
Hi Jeff,
may I ask, where you got these inserts from? Looks like the original Porsche Pepita (liker on the Anniversary and the 911R) . Did you get it directly from Porsche Exclusive?
Thanks!
Car looks amazing! Still consider to do also some Leather/Stiching upgrades to my yellow Spyder ...
I'm also interested in the source of Pepita, it's something I want to get done on my Spyder.

By the way, I love the changes you have made to "make it your own". I'm in the process of doing that to mine after years of keeping it stock.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^ Once you move away from stock, how does that play out in the concours world in which you participate? If, say, you modify the seats and go with pepita, do judges frown on that and dock you points accordingly? Just curious.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
^^^ Once you move away from stock, how does that play out in the concours world in which you participate? If, say, you modify the seats and go with pepita, do judges frown on that and dock you points accordingly? Just curious.
I have no idea since I do not enter these types of competitions. However, as long as you can go back to stock easily, I would not think that it would be an issue for a future buyer. As for competition, no idea.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

JC, I was actually directing this to Afshin's post above as I know he is a multiple concours winner, but thanks for replying

Unlike in our 981's, the pepita seat insert mod in the 987 is much more complex because the inserts don't just velcro out. It's a bit more entailed. Once you make that switch in the 987, I don't think it's so easy to go back to stock, thus my question.

Hoping we can lure you down south maybe for the next Spyder drive. Would love to see your car and all you have done to it in person
Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

JC, I was actually directing this to Afshin's post above as I know he is a multiple concours winner, but thanks for replying

Unlike in our 981's, the pepita seat insert mod in the 987 is much more complex because the inserts don't just velcro out. It's a bit more entailed. Once you make that switch in the 987, I don't think it's so easy to go back to stock, thus my question.

Hoping we can lure you down south maybe for the next Spyder drive. Would love to see your car and all you have done to it in person
haha thanks - yeah it just velcro's right in. Let me know when next drive is, and if I can, I will make it down! Sounds fun.
Jeff
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I have light weight buckets in my 987 Spyder and can switch the seat inserts in and out in under a minute ... all velcro
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Good point, Buck. On the 987 a distinction needs to be made between the LWBs and the non-LWB seats. It's on the later that the center sections don't come out easily and need to a) be disassembled, b) have the stitching removed, c) have the new fabric sewn in, and d) be reassembled.

Since, like you, Afshin has the LWBs, a pepita conversion will be a much easier process and something he can easily reverse to "original" I guess for concours judging purposes.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nick PCA Concours judging is actually very lenient when it comes to modifications. With exception to the Unrestored Class for the older cars, modifications are allowed as long as they are installed in a "competent and professional manner". This is actually noted in the concours rules.

Having said that, for certain concours like the La Jolla Concours coming up next month I would likely get dinged for originality assuming they actually judge our cars. But as already noted, my seat inserts are Velcro so they can be taken out in minutes and I usually take them out anyways when prepping the interior.

The Unrestored class needs to have 75% of its original paint and interior intact in order to qualify so technically you could get dinged for making a change.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

^^^ Got it. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:51 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Nick PCA Concours judging is actually very lenient when it comes to modifications. With exception to the Unrestored Class for the older cars, modifications are allowed as long as they are installed in a "competent and professional manner". This is actually noted in the concours rules.

Having said that, for certain concours like the La Jolla Concours coming up next month I would likely get dinged for originality assuming they actually judge our cars. But as already noted, my seat inserts are Velcro so they can be taken out in minutes and I usually take them out anyways when prepping the interior.

The Unrestored class needs to have 75% of its original paint and interior intact in order to qualify so technically you could get dinged for making a change.
I totally don't know how you guys can do it. I detail my cars myself, have the full kit and they look good...until I drive them 20 feet. Just driving to an event would make me have to wash and detail them again.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
I totally don't know how you guys can do it.
+1

I realized I wasn't cut out for concours when I attended one years ago at a golf course and saw, shortly before judging, participants on their backs on the fairway feverishly using Q-tips to remove grass lodged in their tire treads.

I knew right that instant that concours competition was not in my future
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have become very efficient at keeping my car at or near concours levels at all times. The interior really doesn't require much more than a quick wipe and it's clean as long as you have' slathered yourself with sunscreen.

The exterior usually requires about two hours for the paint, glass and wheels which I spread over two days so it's not a major time suck. I usually drive weekends and clean on weeknights so I'm accessible to the family. Detailing is relaxing to me, not as relaxing as a windy road with no traffic but still therapy. Having the right products makes all the difference.

Sorry for the OT Jeff.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

+1

I realized I wasn't cut out for concours when I attended one years ago at a golf course and saw, shortly before judging, participants on their backs on the fairway feverishly using Q-tips to remove grass lodged in their tire treads.

I knew right that instant that concours competition was not in my future
I think I rolled into that one as well at Dana Point, uh, no way and I'm pretty **** about my car but no way !
Old 03-22-2017, 04:31 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marine Blue, when you changed your LWSB seat inserts you did not use the foam from OEM and retained the OEM center pads as stock? If so how much does it cost to get a new set of inserts with new foam and peptina? I'm assuming they already have the dimensions and velcro positions needed and one can simply order new centers direct from autobahn interiors is that correct? thanks
Old 04-01-2017, 07:53 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Default Exclusive Option Steering Wheel Frame and basket

Just received the steering wheel basket and main frame - I had it done in gloss black but never really loved the result...so I had Exclusive Option do it in leather to match the more stealth look of the interior. Really pleased with the results. Also did the basket which fits between the column casing and the wheel itself. Blends seamlessly. Really impressed with the quality. Easy swap at the dealer. Takes 15 minutes, and here are some pictures.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Black/Black 2016 Boxster Spyder with LWB's! Wow!