Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K

Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K

I forgot to put in title that it's a 2011. I've owned a lot of cars but this would be my first Porsche. I'm currently driving a 2009 Jaguar XKR coupe. It's my 4th XKR Coupe. All except the'09 had around 100k miles when I bought them. I buy a lot of high mileage cars because if done right you can drive much nicer cars for not as much cash.

But I have some concerns about 160k mile Porsche. It's got Nav, PDK, Chrono and probably a lot more options than I can tell. I know there's a dizzying array of option choices. I think I can get it in the low $20k range, which is about $10k less than on with average miles. There's been two owners and each put about 80k miles on. I'm still trying to get the actual service history. But my experience with high end cars with high miles in a relatively short time are well maintained.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Welcome to rennlist. I would want a PPI for that car (and any used car I buy) to see what needs doing, b/c at that mileage there could be a lot of maintenance that hasn't been done yet and is waiting rear its head.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Thank you for the welcome. I agree with you about the PPI and the potential deferred maintenance. But for now if we assume it's been well maintained, what do you think about a 160k 2011 Cayman S.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that a lot of miles. Agree with Zirrah about the ppi and getting the maintenance reports will be a big help.
You can enter the vin and get the exact options to the vin check site(sorry don't have it on my phone but do a search)
Edit: have you thought about a few years older with lower miles?
Welcome and good luck!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Thank you for the option decoder. Here's what I found:
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Heated Seats (Front)
19" Carrera S II wheel
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Porsche Communication Managemant (PCM)
NAVIGATION MODULE FOR PCM
BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
XM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver
A1
Black
AN
Black Standard Leather
P15
12-Way Power Seats
P4W
Infotainment Package for BOSE
P75
Bi-Xenon w/ Cornering Lights
Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That much mileage probably indicates year round driving, which might mean exposure to road salt and freezing conditions. Personally I would look for a lower mileage car as this much mileage on a five year old Porsche is quite extreme. Alternatively, try to find a local independent shop to do a PPI and perhaps have a discussion with them first regarding the types of maintenance items that could be needed and the associated costs. You might find that the $10k price advantage would be quickly used for maintenance and repair costs.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

I agree. FYI California car.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's approximately 27,000 to 32,000 miles a year depending on when it was originally delivered. So, chances are a lot of highway miles vs a lot of traffic jam city miles. (Maybe being a CA car it did a lot of LA to Vegas trips. LOL!)

Service records would be key here. A well maintained car can easily last 100s of thousands of miles. This is especially true with Porsches. Shoot, I have an '87 944 Turbo with well over 220,000 miles. I bought it in '07 with 164,000 miles and I started taking it to DEs in 2014 where it's been a stellar and envied performer. The big key, it's been extremely well maintained. Look to see if all the perishables (fluids, plugs, belts, filters, et al) have been serviced/replaced according to the service schedule.

BTW, here's a link to the maintenance schedule, http://porschedata.com/porsche-cayma...ance-schedule/

Have you seen a Car Fax on it? How does it look?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

The good, no accidents, clear title and only 2 long term owners. The bad, only shows a couple of oil changes. Of course there's been more maintenance than that, but no records. Anyone know a good place to get it inspected near Burbank CA?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:08 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not. Maybe it was used as an Uber ride?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:36 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I would never buy any car with that many miles. Things begin to break down and as we all know, Porsche repairs are expensive. I would just find one you love with fewer miles.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:51 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Could be a very expensive Porsche.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:01 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Here's a link to the car. Is anyone similar with this Cayman S? I'm in Florida, is anyone near by and able to take a look? I'm also looking for a place to have it inspected.

http://www.hollywoodautocenter.net/v...7c5fc362f878e/
Old 02-18-2016, 02:58 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you feel lucky?........Well, do you? (to parrot an oft repeated movie line).
That is how I would think about a car that is expensive to maintain and repair with this many miles.

IF you had the maintenance history, you might have some assurance that maintenance has been done regularly, and you would also know what has already been repaired/replaced.
Without that info, you need a thorough PPI to tell you about the condition of everything. Engine, trans, brakes, exhaust, electronics, suspension, etc.
Common wear items are water pump, AOS, power steering issues, belts, and hoses of all kinds, suspension components, etc.

Could be all good, but more likely you will find yourself looking at a few major repairs and replacements to get the car back to solid/dependable.

If you can do all of the repairs/replacements (and maintenance) yourself, you might only be out several thousand. If not, it would not take long to see $5K-$10K in common repairs and maintenance. Much-much more if there are any engine or trans issues.

In the end, I think the car is overpriced unless the car can be shown to really need nothing.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:06 AM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

If we assume the basic maintenance has been done, what are the major areas of concern? Even if the fluid is changed at standard intervals what are the issues for a 160k PDK?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K