Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:09 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoupesOnly
Not so much frustrated as trying to be as clear as possible. I truly appreciate everyone's input. I knew that most members would advise against this purchase. I wasn't prepared for the universal agreement against the purchase. It's been very helpful and making me face the issues even more than I was already.
I'm for the purchase if the car is a solid car. I plugged the info into Kelley Blue Book with the info from the first webpage, of this post, and at a Very Good Condition, second to highest condition, sold from a Private Party the number the website spits out is $38,875. Even funnier is if you change the car to the "Lower" Good condition it is the same price! They give the percentages of the conditions and the Highest is 3% of total cars made, would like to know how Mr Kelley comes up with percentages. But I didn't check the price on "Excellent", hell it might have been $38,875 as well!

I must say that the KBB is WAY overpriced in this situation. And if the other party gets those unrealistic numbers in their head then they are Sorely Mistaken.

Last edited by The New 911; 02-25-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:53 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
I'm for the purchase if the car is a solid car. I plugged in the info Kelley Blue Book.with the info from the first webpage and at a Very Good Condition sold from a Private Party the number the website spits out is $38,875. Even funnier is if you change the car to the "Lower" Good condition it is the same price! They give the percentages of the conditions and the Highest is 3%. But I didn't check the price on "Excellent".

I must say that the KBB is WAY overpriced in this situation. And if the other party gets those unrealistic numbers in their head then they are Sorely Mistaken.
I don't think you had the miles in. Here's what I got with the correct miles:

http://www.kbb.com/porsche/cayman/20...mileage=160100

NADA is a lot more generous.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2011/...pe-2D-S/Values
Old 02-25-2016, 03:58 PM
The New 911
Pro

Not so much frustrated as trying to be as clear as possible. I truly appreciate everyone's input. I knew that most members would advise against this purchase. I wasn't prepared for the universal agreement against the purchase. It's been very helpful and making me face the issues even more than I was already.
I'm for the purchase if the car is a solid car. I plugged in the info Kelley Blue Book.with the info from the first webpage and at a Very Good Condition sold from a Private Party the number the website spits out is $38,875. Even funnier is if you change the car to the "Lower" Good condition it is the same price! They give the percentages of the conditions and the Highest is 3%. But I didn't check the price on "Excellent".

Their is currently only one Boxster S being sold at a Porsche dealership at the moment. It has only 43,322 miles and is being sold for the low low price of $36,890.

So $20K on down from there is a good price.

The equity in buying this car say for just $20K miles is the $16,890 difference is an excellent split for replacing and maintenance. But I bet you could still get a better deal. And if there is ever a time when the engine has to be removed then that would be a great time for refinishing the heads and up the power of the engine by replacing the CamShafts. Then there is putting in a Guards LSD.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:17 AM
porsche951
Pro

If the price is right I'd pull the trigger. Isn't it possible to use the OBD to see how many "hours" are on the engine. It's certainly possible that the hour total is no more than a car with 80k miles if the vast majority of miles are highway.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:20 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So why did you even bother coming here asking, you have 95 or so percent of the folks here telling you to walk? Clearly you are convinced you want to buy this car so why waste everyone's time... BTW, I have some Enron stock I need to sell, 95 percent chance it is worthless but 5 percent you may get rich...
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by porsche951
If the price is right I'd pull the trigger. Isn't it possible to use the OBD to see how many "hours" are on the engine. It's certainly possible that the hour total is no more than a car with 80k miles if the vast majority of miles are highway.
Total hours, that is a very good question... You'd think Porsche would keep all the numbers from just about all the Engine's Parameters stored up in their DME-ECU. Due to the date the car was made one would figure that the DME would contain Memory large enough to hold many Parameters and engine hours would require only a very small number of Bytes in those days of 8, 16 or 32MB Flash Drives. Don't know why Porsche would Skimp on their DME Memory? And don't know if an OBD-II reader would be able to access everything in the DME. Might need some special tool made by Porsche just to Read special bits of the memory, to make more money!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

total hours is of course stored.

all you need is a durametric to get it. Dave should have it from when he plugged in PIWIS
Old 03-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Marvinta
Pro

The answer to the original question is really all about your budget. If you are on a tight budget and want to get into the p-car lineup than the cayman s is the perfect car to do that. The problem is: with 160k mileage you are likely to run into a major problem soon and with a tight budget you won't be able to afford the repair bill (these cars are NOT cheap to do repairs on). Personally I think the Cayman S is VASTLY superior to the 996 a couple posters are steering you towards (better be careful though the '911 no matter what is better than all other cars made ' crowd is going to come out of the woodwork.) My honest opinion is: stay away from this car unless you have the personal skills to do any potential repairs yourself. Keep looking , you will kind find a nice Cayman at the right price.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Myothercarisanh2
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CoupesOnly,

It looks like you haven't purchased this car based on it still being on the seller's website.

I just read all the posts here. No. I wouldn't buy this Cayman but I also wouldn't have purchase 4 high mileage Jaguars to drive. So, I think this is "your" Porsche based on "your" car buying history. What do you expect to get out of this car when you are done? If the answer is nothing then the responses here would tell you you have the right expectations.

If you are able to handle the normal maintenance costs and have a "cushion" for a possible high cost engine repair then go for it since the "buy-in" is in your comfort zone based on buying 4 high mileage Jaguars.

You have me thinking about high mileage, lower cost Porsches now... Not really my nature though.

Bob
Old 03-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Seinsmeld13
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I would buy it.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:33 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Short Update Note:
I went to Ca and drove it from Malibu to Carmel and back. It was the most amazing drive of my life. The car looks and drives like a 25k mile car. The just delivered it yesterday and I'm loving it.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pictures or it didn't happen ;-)
hope you enjoy it, hope it gives you lots of trouble free miles
Old 03-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 981spyder
pictures or it didn't happen ;-)
hope you enjoy it, hope it gives you lots of trouble free miles
+1! Best of luck
Old 03-23-2016, 03:56 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
+1! Best of luck
+2 grats on the Cayman.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The die get rolled.

I'm on the other side of the coin. I bought a very low mileage, but 10 year old Cayman S. 22,000 miles in ten years. But, does that spell too much garage time for IMS bearing and other internals that want to be lubed and used (get your mind out of the gutter)?

So much in life is luck. Sometimes it is with you. Sometimes not. Character comes in to play when the universe conspires against us. Otherwise, let the good times roll.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K