Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 3.8L Swap Opportunity: DONOR CAR FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default 987.2 3.8L Swap Opportunity: DONOR CAR FOR SALE

Ladies and Gents,

I have a customer looking to part ways with a 2009 987.2 6-spd 2.9L Cayman. The car is silver on black with 85K miles. The customer purchased the car this year with the intention of doing a 3.8L conversion and then turning it into a race car but has since decided that they want PDK instead of the 6-spd. The car is for sale for $25K/OBO and is located in Birmingham but we are headed there this weekend for a track event and could bring it back. I can get the details on the mods that were on the car when purchased; i think it has shocks, sway bars, 19s and an exhaust. Existing owner ran 2 weekends at Barber. I have no idea of the previous history from the 1st owner in California but it's a nice car and one that my customer searched around for before locating.

Unlike the 3 previous EFI - DFI conversions that we have completed thus far, this car is somewhat of a hybrid being a 2.9L. Things that you already have vs. starting with a 2006 - 2008 EFI car:

- drive shafts
- clutch
- transmission (2.9L gearbox with short ratios bolts to a DFI motor)
- on demand oil delivery like the DFI

This is about the cheapest way to get into a DFI 3.8L Cayman making 400+ horsies! Please let us know as I have also circulated the information to several IMSA ST teams that would want a 6-spd donor car.

There was a PPI done by Eurasia Auto Sport who gave the car a clean bill of health.

Thanks.
Attached Images      

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 11-18-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BUMP! Given some radical changes with Porsche engine pricing, through December this swap opportunity just came down in price by $9500. Now is the chance to have a 415hp 3.8L 997.2 motor in a Cayman for the street or track given that the pricing on the donor car is about as cheap as it's going to get and someone is going to catch a huge break on the engine purchase! This deal will not be available for much longer so i would step up if you're considering something like this!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw something about that in a recent Suncoast email / newsletter:

Porsche Engine Sale - 997 & 987

Porsche is clearing inventory on select engines for 2005-2012 Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, & 997.2 Turbo models. Price reductions on certain new and factory remanufactured engines, and no core charges on select remanufactured engines.

If you're looking for a new engine, email us with your VIN number and we will see if any special offers are available.

Only for 987/997 engines currently or did the price change for 991 3.8L motors as well?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:27 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fais
I saw something about that in a recent Suncoast email / newsletter:

Porsche Engine Sale - 997 & 987

Porsche is clearing inventory on select engines for 2005-2012 Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, & 997.2 Turbo models. Price reductions on certain new and factory remanufactured engines, and no core charges on select remanufactured engines.

If you're looking for a new engine, email us with your VIN number and we will see if any special offers are available.

Only for 987/997 engines currently or did the price change for 991 3.8L motors as well?
The available donor car is a 987.2 and therefore we would want to purchase a 997.2 engine for it. So the 3.8L 9A1 DFI engine that we would purchase is covered under the offering.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:35 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The available donor car is a 987.2 and therefore we would want to purchase a 997.2 engine for it. So the 3.8L 9A1 DFI engine that we would purchase is covered under the offering.
Thx, seems like a great deal! I miss my base 987.2 even with it's stock motor, can only imagine what it would've been like with 3.8 motor in it
Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BUMP. Owner has asked me to lower the asking price to $22.5K; to reiterate, this isn't a lot queen or beater. This car was purchased with the intention of doing this upgrade but since then, the owner has decided that they would prefer it to be PDK. Anyone looking for a great 6-spd car to be turned into a track monster would be stoked to have this car.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:06 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I had $1 for every time someone called and said they should have jumped on this, i think by now i would have $8.50; one guy was on the fence still! To give you an update, the car sold below asking price and the new owner turned around and did the following build, which we are now wrapping up:

- BGB Motorsports EFI --> DFI Conversion Wiring
- 3.8L 997.2 Reman Engine from PCNA
- Cobb Tuning AP with Custom BGB 3.8L 997.2 Flash
- Cargraphic 200 Cell Sport Manifolds (just like we sell for the GT4)
- PCNA 987.2 Center 3rd Radiator
- Aasco Lightweight 14 lb Flywheel with Sachs sprung hub clutch disc
- 997.2 GT3 6-Piston Front Calipers / 987.2 S 4-Piston Rear Calipers
- Pro Systems Motorsport 2-Piece Floating 380mm Front Brake Upgrade
- Tarett Engineering Cup Control Arms (rear)
- Tarett Engineering (toe links)
- Wevo Semi-Solid Urethane Trans Mounts & Front Engine Mount
- Cayman R Aero Kit (had one on the shelf for $700)
- Black Paint for Side Gills & Mirrors
- Passenger Mounted Fire Extinguisher

The car already had upgraded FR/R sway bars from H&R, 2 piece front GT3 control arms, Fabspeed mufflers and a harness bar. We threw in some new interior carpet bits from a race build to clean up the interior some. Given that it's a 2.9L 987.2, he also has a shorter 1-2-3 gear setup similar to what a lot of GT4 owners would want. Photos below!
Attached Images     
Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trans cooler? Looks like a sweet build! Is that a similar flash to mine?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Photos below!

Great looking engine... love the manually operated NOS injection sprayer. What's that good for, a 25 shot per each pump?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by trebien
Great looking engine... love the manually operated NOS injection sprayer. What's that good for, a 25 shot per each pump?
around that...it also doubles as a cable operated WD-40 squirter for on-demand lube application!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow. Your photo # 2 of the engine below the car: how the heck does that large motor fit in the car? That must be why you get paid to stuff that thing in the car and that must be why that car FLIES.....
Old 10-11-2016, 12:11 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This car arrived home in So Cal and the owner is raving about the balance, the performance and the braking potential on the car. we have another satisfied customer 2500 miles away!!! I made sure the car would pass all CARB requirements with all readiness monitors working as originally equipped to do so and intended.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

This car arrived home in So Cal and the owner is raving about the balance, the performance and the braking potential on the car. we have another satisfied customer 2500 miles away!!! I made sure the car would pass all CARB requirements with all readiness monitors working as originally equipped to do so and intended.
Always good to hear about more 3.8's on the West Coast, John!

I just put about 700 miles on mine driving around Southern Oregon for a week. This car is such a blast on the open road. It even got to see a little snow at Crater Lake ...
Old 07-11-2017, 02:17 AM
nmartin58
Rennlist Member

Default Selling this car, after conversion

Well, unfortunately i have to sell this car.

I have not been able to get the car to pass smog in California. As it had been flagged in the system as a 2.9L ULEV and the ref believes the new engine is not. And the ref believes the ECU is incorrect. The car has no CEL, and all the readiness monitors are good. And the cars passes when measured out the tail pipe.
John has been of great help, and I've been working with Vision Motorsports out of Orange County. Car is still at Vision Motorsports in Orange County.
My intention was to daily drive the car, and go to about 5 track days a year. Since I can't afford to have a dedicated track car, and I cant get this car registered in California, I've decided to sell. The car runs great, the work BGB did on the car really transformed it into a very capable and fast car that can be driven on the street (as long as you don't live in CA).

send me a PM or email if your interested in the car. n martin 58 at live.com

I'll post some pictures a bit later.

Also, John at BGB is available to answer questions.

Thanks
Neil

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2009 BGB 3.8L Caymen

6 speed

86K miles

1K miles since PCNA reman 3.8L installed

Price: $60K

2009 Cayman started life as a 2.9L EFI car that was converted at 85K by BGB to a 3.8L DFI. With the 3.8L, and other mods listed below, the car performs exceptionally well. John and the guys at BGB did an amazing job setting up the car, its fast, stops great, and handles very well. The additional 3rd radiator keeps the 3.8L cool. Reason for selling is at the bottom.

Conversion details:
- BGB Motorsports EFI --> DFI Conversion Wiring
- 3.8L 997.2 Reman Engine from PCNA
- Revolution Mini 3.8L 987.2 conversion flash by BGB with slave tool
- Cargraphic 200 Cell Sport Manifolds (just like BGB sells for the GT4) I have a set of stock cats that fit on the car also, to help with smog check
- PCNA 987.2 Center 3rd Radiator

- Aasco Lightweight 14 lb Flywheel with Sachs sprung hub clutch disc
- 997.2 GT3 6-Piston Front Calipers / 987.2 S 4-Piston Rear Calipers
- Pro Systems Motorsport 2-Piece Floating 380mm Front Brake Upgrade
- Tarett Engineering Cup Control Arms (rear)
- Tarett Engineering (toe links)
- Wevo Semi-Solid Urethane Trans Mounts & Front Engine Mount
- Cayman R Aero Kit
- Black Paint for Side Gills & Mirrors
- Driver Mounted Fire Extinguisher

- Newer shocks out of a 2011 Cayman Black series with low miles (7.5k)

The car already had upgraded:

-FR/R sway bars from H&R

- 2 piece front GT3 control arms

- harness bar

- Given that it's a 2.9L 987.2, it also has a shorter 1-2-3 gear setup similar to what a lot of GT4 owners would want.

Exterior 6-7/10 (Car has 85K miles, and was tracked a few times over those miles. Has not been tracked with new engine):

- Overall paint looks good

- Front bumper appears to have been touched up, but still has visible rock chips, and a small chip down by the drivers side wheel (have pictures if interested)

- Hood has visible rock chips, and appears to have not been touched up

- Rear bumper looks good, but has a few scratches (have pictures if interested)

- Small ding just behind drivers door

Interior 7/10:

- buttons on radio starting to get sticky, also radio turns on, but no sound. It appears the amp is blown. Car has Bose amp. I'm working on getting another one to replace it.

- Seats in good condition (minimal wear for the mileage)

- Harness bar required some trimming of plastic above seat belts (done by previous owners)

- carpet in good condition

- Air conditioning and heat work great

- Car has heated seats

I purchased this car at 85K miles, it has a clean carfax, but had been taken to a few DE's by the previous owners.

Last edited by nmartin58; 07-11-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:38 AM
nmartin58
Rennlist Member

Name:  cayman front.jpg
Views: 4046
Size:  316.4 KB

Name:  cayman inside.jpg
Views: 3647
Size:  214.2 KB

Name:  cayman side.jpg
Views: 3666