Sponsored by: APR

Upcoming Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Upcoming Cayman GT4

"All of which brings us to perhaps the most exciting new car Porsche will bring to market in the next three years, the GT4. Based on the Cayman and probably destined to be called the Cayman GT4, the GT4 will be the big-power, mid-engine, reasonably priced Porsche every purist has been crowing about since forever. By reasonably priced we mean compared to a GT3. Pricing will be about $125K and the GT4 will sit way above the recently created Cayman GTS. What makes a GT4? Expect a transmission similar to the modified PDK unit found in the GT3. What engine is still the big question mark, and interestingly might be settled this June in France. If the 919 Hybrid goes real big and wins the 24 Hours of Le Mans, expect Porsche to try and capitalize on that fact by pushing a turbocharged four-cylinder plug-in hybrid powertrain. If the 919’s teething problems continue, the GT4 could remain as a flat-six, but with hybrid assist. Expect to also see a Boxster version of the GT4, though it will most likely be called the RS Spyder. Either way, validation testing on the inline-4 turbo is taking place right now."

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1405_porsc...#ixzz31bzWKcHX
"It was only a week ago that the news emerged Porsche is planning a hardcore, track-focused version of its latest Cayman, and now we have spy shots of a prototype for just such a car. The prototype was spotted on some surrounding roads of Germany’s Nürburgring race track and reveals the aggressive look that the little brother to the 911 GT3 will take. Talk of a hardcore Cayman built along the lines of the 911 GT3 dates back all the way to 2009, but since then the closest we’ve got to such a car being launched is 2012’s Cayman R and the more recent Cayman GTS. However, the latest Cayman variant is expected to offer much more substantial upgrades than those previous cars. The new Cayman variant is expected to be built to GT4 specifications, meaning it will be closer to the standard Cayman than the 911 GT3 is to the 911 Carrera although it should still be more than adequate for motorsport use straight out of the box. It is expected to feature a unique engine—possibly based on Porsche’s next-generation four-cylinder—as well as a quicker shifting PDK dual-clutch transmission and a stripped-out cabin. As the spy shots confirm, the car has a lower ride height than the standard Cayman, which suggests a much more aggressive tune for the suspension. We can also see a new aero kit with a deep lip spoiler up front and a huge wing at the rear. The brakes are also much larger than those fitted to the standard Cayman. Look for a reveal of the new Cayman variant, which may end up being called a Cayman GT4, towards the end of next year. We’re likely to see it in showrooms in the early part of 2016."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-gt4-spy-shots

"It was just the other day that we first caught wind of Porsche's plans to build a GT4 version of the Cayman, and now we're already looking at spy shots of the vehicle in question undergoing testing at – where else? - the Nürburgring. With more aggressive front-end aero, a GT3-style air vent ahead of the front hood, a large wing at the back, and spindly alloys packed with over-sized brakes at each corner, this Cayman is clearly more extreme than even the range-topping GTS. The rear diffuser and central exhaust tips look about the same as those you'd find at the back of the Cayman GTS, though. What we can't see, of course, is what Porsche has slotted in under the rear glass, how it's upgraded the interior and how much weight it's stripped out of the thing to get it down to fighting weight, but you can bet it'll come with a substantial power bump and a stripped-out interior with racing buckets and little else to open the gap between it and the GTS... and close the gap to the 911 GT3 which it will join as the baby brother in Porsche's performance-focused lineup. Click above to view the double-batch of spy shots."

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/13/p...gt4-spy-shots/

"Former Jalop Jonny Lieberman interrupted our IM session yesterday, blowing me off by saying, "Sorry, I just got a MEGA SCOOP!!!" That MEGA SCOOP is Porsche's product plans for the next three years, and it involves lots of hybrids, lots of tech, and a Cayman GT4. I repeat, Cayman GT4! According to Dr. L, the Cayman-based GT4 is the mid-engine track tool we've been screaming for a decade. It's likely to pack a modified version of the PDK pulled from the 911 GT3 and priced somewhere around $125k. That's quite a premium over the GTS, but a downright bargain compared to the GT3, which starts over $130,000 before you add things like a windshield and oxygen. But the big question is what engine will find its way inside. Continuing the fine tradition of flat-sixes would be the obvious choice, but with Porsche experimenting with turbocharged four-pots and hybrid systems — specifically with its Le Mans-running 919 — a blown four is in the cards, and testing of an inline-four turbo is going on right now. Oh, and a Spyder version is most certainly in the works. But that's not all. Porsche doesn't have anything to compete with the bread-and-foie-infused-butter models from Lamborghini and Ferrari. It needs something in the 700 hp range, and in 2017, we'll supposedly get just that. Plug-in hybrid versions of both the 911 Turbo S and Panamera Turbo S will borrow the tech employed by the 918 Spyder, with the 156-hp electric motor sandwiched between the engine and PDK to boost output to around 730 ponies. Both will be badged with the e-Hybrid moniker, and the same powertrain is almost guaranteed to make it into the Cayenne as well. Expect all three to command $185k and go up from there. Electrically assisted versions of the rumored Cayenne Coupe and guaranteed Panamera Sport Turismo are in the cards, but equipped with the twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 putting out well over 400 hp. Later on, hybridized turbo'd four models will be available, but Porsche will be pushing the big boy models at launch. Now we just have to hold our breath until 2017."

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-cayman-g...r-y-1573124619
"Porsche appears to be working on new flagship Cayman that could be badged GT4 and offer more power than the entry-level 911. Our spies have caught a mysterious Porsche Cayman out testing, suggesting the Stuttgart-based manufacturer is already working on new flagship model to sit above the recently launched GTS. Reports claim it’ll be badged GT4, a move designed to echo the 911 GT3 without diluting its prestige or confusing customers. As you can see, the Cayman in these images certainly benefits from a number of GT3-inspired design features, including the same gaping intakes within the front bumper, thin horizontal LED daytime running lights, a slim vent just below the bonnet, and a more pronounced front splitter. It’s still clearly a Cayman though, the giveaway being those curved trapezoidal headlamps, rather than the oval lights found on the 911, as well as the single-stalk wing mirrors and distinctive air inlets located behind each door. Round the back the bulging rear lights also clearly belong to the Cayman, but instead of the usual single central exhaust, it gains the 911 GT3’s dual-pipe set-up and large rear diffuser. Completing the changes is the addition of a large fixed spoiler. In terms of technical changes, the GT4 will probably use a version of Porsche’s 7-speed double-clutch PDK unit as fitted to the GT3, with the new Cayman set benefit from a lighter chassis and lower ride, too. Although Porsche is keeping quiet on performance, it’s likely the GT4 will build on the Cayman GTS’s 335bhp and could be the first model in the line-up to offer more power than the 350bhp entry-level 911. As well as further narrowing the gap between each range in terms of output, the new Cayman is also likely to edge closer to the standard 911 when it comes to price, too. Expect the GT4 to sit between the £55,397 Cayman GTS and 911 Carrera 3.4, with prices starting at £60,000."

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...#ixzz31c70mlXP

Possible Test Mule sighting:

Discussion on the 991 gt3 Forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ayman-gt4.html
For Your Information...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

it looks good
Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

As I mentioned in the thread on the 991GT3 board, with the suspension, aero, and wheel/tire package it looks like Porsche is serious about this car - in those terms it is much more aggressive than the old Cayman R. I hope they break tradition and deliver power to match, and with a manual transmission please!

Regarding price, the predictions are all over the place. If it has a derivation of the GT3 motor (for instance, smaller displacement), I could see it being over $100k. If it is a standard 9A1 or turbo 4, no way.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's gotta have a manual. At least an option, please!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Pretty please.

You would think the backlash on PDK GT3 would have made someone listen.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Boostu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully they don't feel like they have to chase "absolute fastest" and can make decisions that keep enthusiasts happy like the 5 lug wheels, manual transmission, no rear wheel steering, etc. The GT3 has compromised quite a bit in the name of fastest (magazine) lap times, maybe they leave this one alone.

I'm beyond excited for this car.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

So Jalopnik is saying a new Spyder is definitely in the cards, I know I am looking forward to seeing that!

The Cayman modifications look great although I do hope they do something different with the rear wings
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

there will never be a proper croc with a 500hp motor taken off 997.2 gt3 rs. too many people would like to buy that car, it cannot happen.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
and with a manual transmission please!
Originally Posted by JJ Cleghorne
It's gotta have a manual. At least an option, please!
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
^ Pretty please. You would think the backlash on PDK GT3 would have made someone listen.
"Expect a transmission similar to the modified PDK unit found in the GT3"

Originally Posted by Boostu
Hopefully they don't feel like they have to chase "absolute fastest" and can make decisions that keep enthusiasts happy like the 5 lug wheels, manual transmission, no rear wheel steering, etc
I don't think this mid-engine car will benefit that much from rear axle steering. However, I do think that Porsche needs to improve the rear suspension on any track-oriented Cayman or Boxster to handle the extra horsepower and make it even more competitive in racing! The intrinsically superior rear suspension of the 911 has been one of the key advantages of this model in competition racing!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it doesn't have a manual, I'd stick to my C2S.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deposit accepted! #1 in line. I am all in unless that do something crazy like dropping in an electric motor!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It definitely would be tempting, especially if I were tracking the car. But realistically the Spyder already has too much power for the street......I can't believe I just said that.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It definitely would be tempting, especially if I were tracking the car. But realistically the Spyder already has too much power for the street......I can't believe I just said that.
Well it's pretty easy to get a speeding ticket in a 356 normal
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The intrinsically superior rear suspension of the 911
Good one. Porsche has used intrinsically inferior suspension design for decades, why should they stop now? The 911 uses upper "dogbones" in the rear, not possible with the mid engine config of the Boxster/Cayman. I would trade the dogbones for the intrinsically superior mid engine configuration any day.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:47 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sent my brother info on this car and he immediately left the office, drove to the local P-dealer and has #1 on their list!

Here is my opinion on the car specs and pricing: I agree that it won't be as radical as a GT3 is. I see it slotting in right between a 911 and 911S. Porsche will tolerate that amount of overlap. I predict 365HP and $89,900 base. Base Cayman = $52k, S = $63k, GTS = $75k….So $89k fits perfectly in line. Add the other normal options and you are bumping $100k.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Cayman GT4