Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R value

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mpilot
I know what a lot of cars are worth. I'm asking about this car in particular because it seems like the value has been hovering at the same point for a while with the new car out and the talk of possibly an R version I'm thinking they may be about to take a dump. I figured since you guys on this forum are pretty hardcore that some of you might be willing to share a few theories.
If history is any indicator, it's gonna be 6 more years before a Cayman R is released. I wouldn't hold your breath on a new CR coming out anytime soon. They will depreciate, but I don't see any reason why the '12 CRs would be about to take a large dump.

I hear what you are saying, it's just that I'm not sure a 2 year old cayman can stay at roughly $65k value. I'm only considering this over an 07 gt3 because I know it's going to be a lot easier to drive and may possibly more fun at the track. Otherwise the gt3 is definitely much less likely to drop in value, in all reality they're actually going up.
Don't drink too much of the kool-aide they're serving over at the GT3 forum. While they depreciate at a slower rate, those cars will drop in value just like every other car, at least for the next several years. Beyond that, it's difficult to say. The only reason the value is holding right now is because there's nothing else to buy currently. As much as I love the sound of the mezger and the interaction of a manual, the inevitable coolant hose failures, centerlock/variocam issues will give anybody pause when it comes to owning one of those out of their warranty period.

Perhaps an example that is never driven would be worth something in the future, but who wants to buy a car and never drive it?

Last edited by orthojoe; 08-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM
ACE51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...Is it OK to compare the Cayman R resale value to the Spyder? If so then I would expect a slight drop since the Spyder's are now 2-3 years old and the R is still only about 1 year old (MY at least).

IMO the Cayman R and BS are "keepers" and will always be at the top of the market when compared to your run of the mill non special edition Boxster/Cayman, 911. That being said unless you are on a list to get one of the first cars I don't think there is anywhere for the cars to go in value except down, and with the 991 I think there is a ton of the "down" still left.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone else think the cayman R's are soon to be dropping in value? I'm seriously considering one but I would probably only keep it till the fall and don't want to get killed.
The seat issue aside, you can still get a 981S in a manual transmission.
Once the 981S has been on the streets for a full year, Cayman R prices will take a dive.

Because of the top, and its limited pool of buyers, the Boxster Spyder will always be in a different category as far as resale pricing.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I know what a lot of cars are worth. I'm asking about this car in particular because it seems like the value has been hovering at the same point for a while with the new car out and the talk of possibly an R version I'm thinking they may be about to take a dump. I figured since you guys on this forum are pretty hardcore that some of you might be willing to share a few theories.
Well, no theory just observation: Obviously most cars lose value and they lose value as they get older and see more use. In some cases even a car that changed hands too many times too quickly is downgraded for that.

I really see nothing in the R that says to me it will not lose value, too. Will it turn into a Cayman equivalent of a 911 Carrera RS 2.7? Only time will tell but my WAG is probably not.

The R is/was a radical (Porsche's term) vehicle.

My observation was the R was bought by most with a specific purpose in mind: tracking. Thus it has a limited market and used the market will be much smaller.

OTOH the attrition rate will be higher so those examples that do survive should see a less steep decline in value.

This does suggest that a good car with smart options -- more on this: Over a year ago I turned down a new R offered to me at a discount because it had no A/C: the original buyer bought it as a "track car" then changed his mind and left the dealer holding the bag -- a car that has not been tracked, a car that has been properly serviced and kept in good shape, bought used for a reasonable sum of money and then taken care of by its new owner, and not tracked or mod'd, will hold its value better than cars that were or are tracked or were or are mod'd.

Really, though, the above applies to any car. The R is no exception.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All in all, any cayman boxster is a cheap car... 10% drop on it is nothing like on 150k+ cars. Yes, it could drop soon, but who cares? Drive it and enjoy it. If you don't sell, you're not down. Just swapping cars costs 10% here in California between taxes and reg. if you can't afford to loose 10k over the next few years, don't do it. But really, what is that? 3k per year? That's just the cost of driving any car!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM
mpilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
All in all, any cayman boxster is a cheap car... 10% drop on it is nothing like on 150k+ cars. Yes, it could drop soon, but who cares? Drive it and enjoy it. If you don't sell, you're not down. Just swapping cars costs 10% here in California between taxes and reg. if you can't afford to loose 10k over the next few years, don't do it. But really, what is that? 3k per year? That's just the cost of driving any car!
Well, I roll with a dealer plate which is the main reason I can constantly switch in and out of cars so often. It doesn't make sense for me to pay $65k for an R to drive to get 5 or 6 track days and sell in fall, to sell for $62k minus fees and other expenses at the auction.

These are the cars on the Mannheim auction report, notice the dates.

8/5/12 peridot 14k $69k
9/20/12 peridot 10k $66k
12/6/12 white 7k $64250
1/10/13 peridot 6k $63k
6/6/13 peridot 2k $64k
7/17/13 white 3k $66250

Peridot I think is the money color, Obviously can't see equipment in these cars, some possibly could be ceramic, plus, plus, plus.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

No Sports Bucket seats in the CaymanS, per OrthJoe.

Any idea why not? Seems weird considering their high likelihood of track use and that Porsche has been offering these seats in new cars for a while. (Is it only in that car, or in all [or many other] models that the Sports Buckets are MIA??
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

No 981, 991, or even GT3 is available with buckets currently.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

major bummer! I wonder why? (My '09 Boxster S has'em.)

ANYONE WITH AN ANSWER????

Maybe hardly anyone got them ..... (except me.)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Supposedly they are no longer approved for use in the USA secondary to regulations. Porsche is supposedly working on a new bucket seat that will pass. Unknown when it will be released
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
major bummer! I wonder why? (My '09 Boxster S has'em.)

ANYONE WITH AN ANSWER????

Maybe hardly anyone got them ..... (except me.)
Visit the 991 GT3 forum.....lots written, few facts...enjoy!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

The R wont fall. It will hold. That is the answer.

Why?

For one thing it is a bargain at 65k vs. a nicely equipped 2014 Cayman S that costs upper 80's if not 90k. Then, even if you do drop 88k on that car is "just" an S....not the special car with all the goodies of the Cayman R. Finally, as you most likely know, the newer Cayman's and Cayman S's are realllllly popular in PDK....a lot more than the 987 gen cars. So that means the cool ones most likely have PDK and many people on the CPO and PreOwned market (historically) dont like PDK as much as a 6 Speed. Especially those in the market for an R in the first place....so a 6 Speed Cayman R is the car to have in my mind (at the present time). Sport buckets just sweeten the deal. Low miles, and cool color combo do as well....

That is my $.02
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM
DaveN007
AutoX

Here is one:

http://www.stevenscreekporsche.com/d...-10527223.html

My 6-speed R seems to me to be a well sorted out car. No electric steering/ electronic e-brake nonsense. No PDK long term concerns. Gen II engine seems bullet proof at this point. By simply swapping the rubber for the rubber that comes stock on GT3s (MPSC) I seem to be able to give MUCH more powerful 911s a run for the money.

I don't buy cars as an investment, and as far as being "track ready" is concerned, I am not sure what that means. They don't drive themselves.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

R's are already dropping in value. Sports cars in general drop values in the fall bottoming in the winter and picking back up in the spring. Now is the best time to buy if you want the worst resale.

Fall begins in 1 month. It makes absolutely NO SENSE buying one of these cars for a short period of time. They aren't collector cars do not the move off lots quickly. The only thing this will accomplish is putting plenty of scratch in a dealer's pocket.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Doesn't seem to be depreciating terribly bad yet, but I also don't see too many around here.

Quick Reply: Cayman R value