Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Porsche Cayman Thread - 991 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great point joe. That helps the math.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:04 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Wonder when/if a 991 GT3 engine swap would be possible.
^^^ THIS.

As far as cost effectiveness, you have created the perfect car.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Given that you can equip a Cayman S to be well over $100k from the factory, this seems like a deal and a half for $92k.

Are you planning on selling this conversion as a service going forward or is this a one-off car?

Also, is it a manual or PDK? Does the conversion work with either transmission?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I saw the car last Friday. Talk about a sleeper. The work is flawless. John and his guys really know what they are doing. That car is going to surprise a bunch of people.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Given that you can equip a Cayman S to be well over $100k from the factory, this seems like a deal and a half for $92k.

Are you planning on selling this conversion as a service going forward or is this a one-off car?

Also, is it a manual or PDK? Does the conversion work with either transmission?
it's not a one off.
they can build to your spec. either pdk or manual
call john tecce at BGB
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, very cool. I've been in touch w/ BGB and they do the conversions on either 981 Cayman or Boxster chassis (if you prefer open top).
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Porsche warranty would be kaput on any of these, I assume?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm going to speak up since John is scrambling to get out the door for Watkins Glen and if I speak out of turn I full expect to be corrected by him.

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Awesome! Now if they just added coil overs, a half cage, seats etc, gt2 buckets, some alcantara, and aero, for 100k it would be a street/track beast. Sign me up for that one.
Once you own the car, I am sure BGB would be more than happy to conduct this additional conversion for you.

Originally Posted by Jon70
Wonder when/if a 991 GT3 engine swap would be possible.
With the "death" of the Mezger, I don't know that this sort of thinking is really relevant anymore. There used to be a significant difference between a Mezger GT3 engine and an 9A1 based Carrera S engine. I don't think going forward that there will be any good argument to be made for the price difference between the two engines. With a good exhaust and a tune Carrera S 3.8l engines are making GT3 sort of power.

Originally Posted by hf1
Porsche warranty would be kaput on any of these, I assume?
This is the reason that the things listed above, as well as one of my LSDs is not found in this car. I'm pretty sure they worked something out with PCNA where this car still carries a warranty since it is 100% factory parts.

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
This is the reason that the things listed above, as well as one of my LSDs is not found in this car. I'm pretty sure they worked something out with PCNA where this car still carries a warranty since it is 100% factory parts.

Regards,

Matt
I would be utterly surprised if this conversion didn't immediately void the entire warranty of the car. Are you sure about that?

Also, are there going to be issues getting this car registered or general legality issues given that the VIN on the engine block won't match the VINs stamped on the rest of the car?

If warranty and registration aren't issues, then this becomes a very tempting proposition.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
I would be utterly surprised if this conversion didn't immediately void the entire warranty of the car. Are you sure about that?

Also, are there going to be issues getting this car registered or general legality issues given that the VIN on the engine block won't match the VINs stamped on the rest of the car?

If warranty and registration aren't issues, then this becomes a very tempting proposition.
+1 on the warranty, but I don't think registration should be a problem. People have been dropping all sorts of engines in all sorts of cars and they've had no problem registering.

EDIT: Everyone would be better off if PAG simply moved their GT3 and Cup brands onto the mid-engine (981) platform and left the "iconic" 911 platform to the GT cruisers and cars & coffee crowds.

Last edited by hf1; 06-30-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yeah technically they could have no warranty, but in real life there is a lot of goodwill to be had.
After all we all void warranty going to the track, yet with good dealer relations they will take car of you.

Between these to parties I think you are very safe!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

EDIT: Everyone would be better off if PAG simply moved their GT3 and Cup brands onto the mid-engine (981) platform and left the "iconic" 911 platform to the GT cruisers and cars & coffee crowds.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I think they worry waaaay too much about making the 981 platform "better" than the 991.
I doubt they would sell any less units, could increase (even more) profit margins on the 981 series and the GT 991 crowd wouldn't even notice (well, I would notice and the GT crowd probably includes me, but I wouldn't mind at all).
Personally, I would like my 6 speed BS with more (factory/warranty) power AND a 991 C4 or C4S PDK for cruising in all but the worst weather, when I would switch to my farm/hunting/horrible weather Tundra.
That, along with my wife's A6 for travel when more baggage is required would be driving Nirvana to me.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

John,

What are the corner balance weights no fuel?
I doubt the weight would go up much for a GT3 engine and brakes upfit along with the additional radiator. Add some aero for complete package.
Can the stock gearbox take the torque?

This car at 92k is cheaper than some regular Caymans with crap options, but I can't help wonder what the price and weight would be if you max it out with GT3 parts.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
With the "death" of the Mezger, I don't know that this sort of thinking is really relevant anymore. There used to be a significant difference between a Mezger GT3 engine and an 9A1 based Carrera S engine. I don't think going forward that there will be any good argument to be made for the price difference between the two engines. With a good exhaust and a tune Carrera S 3.8l engines are making GT3 sort of power.
If that's the case then the price differences between the engines would go down, as well. Among other reasons, Mezgers were more expensive than the "standard" Carrera engines because they involved more manual labor and were built on separate production lines. Porsche (specifically AP) still claim that the new GT3 engine is substantially different from the 991S engine. I think it would make sense that the GT3 engine was built to be more robust and with stronger components.

I too would be interested in a quote estimate for a "Cayman GT3". That would be my dream Porsche. I have a Boxster S and a 996 GT3, and I love them both for different reasons. The Cayman GT3 would combine all those reasons into a single car.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yeah technically they could have no warranty, but in real life there is a lot of goodwill to be had.
After all we all void warranty going to the track, yet with good dealer relations they will take car of you.

Between these to parties I think you are very safe!
I hope you are right, but I think you're being overly optimistic on this one.

Quick Reply: 2014 Porsche Cayman Thread - 991 Conversion