Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono or PASM + PTV on 2013 Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Chrono or PASM + PTV on 2013 Boxster?

Hey guys, brand new to the boards here. Working on ordering my first Porsche. Had a $70K BMW 3 Series (spec'd to hell) on order, but cancelled it because I saw the new 2013 Boxster and just fell in love. Wish I had the cash to get the Boxster S as I'm a little concerned that 265HP is going to be too lethargic for me, but it's either the Boxster or no Porsche right now. The nearest HP to it that I've owned was a 2006 BMW 330i, which had 255HP and was OK on acceleration, but it also weighed 3,500 lbs. vs the 3,000 lbs. of the Boxster so I'm hoping it feels quite a bit quicker.

To my question:

My budget isn't going to allow for a car spec'd any higher than $75K ($76K MAX). My current spec is at $74,970. So I'm wondering: should I get rid of the Sport Chrono package in exchange for the PASM and PTV, or would you much more highly recommend the Sport Chrono package?

I like the Sport Chrono because it gives you the Sport+ button which I hear turns the car into a whole new animal in terms of throttle response, shift points, etc. Which would be especially nice with the Boxster since it's got 50HP less than the S and I'm already slightly concerned about the lack of power.

On the other hand, I heard a reviewer say that the Boxster S (assuming the chassis and suspension is the same on the Boxster) did 1g lateral acceleration on the skid pad, but on a Boxster S with the PASM and PTV it achieved 1.2g, which seems like a massive gain!

The only other option besides choosing between the Sport Chrono and PASM + PTV would be to nix the Infotainment package (but still keep the BOSE sound system and SIRIUS radio) and then the $2K that would free up would allow me to throw in the PASM + PTV.

To be totally honest, I'm not 100% sure what the Infotainment Package even gets me. Every single 2013 Porsche Boxster comes with the 7" touchscreen display, right? So what happens on one that doesn't have the Infotainment Package? Is it just missing the "Nav" button on it? I also have an iPhone and heard that the Infotainment Package provides seamless integration with an iPhone. So without the Infotainment Package, does that mean I wouldn't be able to make a bluetooth call through the car with my iPhone, nor plug it in via the USB and listen to music?

What do you guys think?

Thanks very much in advance!

Here's my current spec:

Infotainment Package with BOSE
Premium Package
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Electrically Folding Exterior Mirrors
PDK
Sport Chono Package i.c.w. PCM
Power Steering Plus
Sports Tailpipe
19-inch Boxster S wheel
Wheel Center Caps w/colored crest
Light Design Package
Bi-Xenon Headlights w/Dynamic Light System
Seat Belts in Silver-Grey
Multi-function Steering Wheel
Porsche Crest Embossed on Head Restraints
14-way Sports Seats
Platinum Silver Metallic
Convertible Top in Red
Leather Interior in Natural Leather Carrera Red
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

looks like my build, but I skipped PTV.

Infotainment I think is everything else, PLUS nav. There are much more technically tuned posters here than be, so I am sure you will get the right answer from someone. Mine is from the hip.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get PASM .. lowers car by 10mm, and will give more suspension options. PASM is the 1 thing I wish I had ordered on my 981S.

no PTV (not really necessary as 981 has amazing turn in already!)

Get Sport Chrono (you can afford this by removing sports tailpipe [no performance benefit] and power steering plus [do you really need super light steering up to 30mph?]) if you must, but unless you intend to track the car, it's unnecessary.

Sport + is really frantic, with PDK hanging on to gears almost to the red line .. I seem to remember that PDK even refuses to upshift in Sport + mode. I hated it Sport + mode.

Dynamic transmission mounts that come with the SCP are also a gimmick on the 981 .. the PDK gearbox ain't that heavy and I really doubt anyone can notice its effects.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PASM is the one that is instantly noticable.
As sfo says above, it lowers the car 10 mm, makes it look better. Compared to stock suspension, it also gets more comfortable in Normal mode and stiffer in Sport mode, so it gives you nice options to play with.

Sport Chrono gives you the dynamic transmission mounts, which are supposed to add both comfort and sportiness, but it's less noticable than PASM. Sport Chrono also includes the dashboard stop watch, a G-force meter in the TFT display and the Launch Control (PDK only). You'll also get the Sport Plus button that gives you even sharper throttle response and more aggresive PDK shifting.

PTV is probably great on the track, but for street use I doubt if you'll notice it.

All 981's have a centre console touch screen, you're right there. Without the Infotainment package, it just used to control the radio and CD-player.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you should look at a lesser-spec'd S instead. I didn't get a lot of options (see my sig) and kept it to MSRP ~$70K. Assuming you're in the US and talking $US...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Bose is crap, and no need for power steering plus, or even parking sensors.

14 way seat ? And if you spec the steering wheel you lose the paddles which imo are a big thing with PDK as the buttons are a nasty design.
Sports tail pipe is also pointless.

All that you can swap for a sports exhaust :-)

Sports crono is a must have with a PDK car.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

BOSE is 981 is much much better than 987; and well worth it
The following users liked this post:
-Silvius- (07-09-2022)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TroyN
I think you should look at a lesser-spec'd S instead. I didn't get a lot of options (see my sig) and kept it to MSRP ~$70K. Assuming you're in the US and talking $US...
I tried and failed miserably. The lowest spec I managed to configure on an S was $90K.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the input guys, but I don't think I'm any closer to having a solution on these options. Sounds like Sport Chrono is a must. On the non-S Boxster, the sports tailpipe is also a must in my opinion because it makes it look like the Boxster S and I'm not a fan of the single tailpipe design of the non-S. 14-way seat is required because my ideal driving position is very high and very close to the steering wheel -- a position that I don't think can be achieved with the 2-way seat because it doesn't raise up.

Forgoing the BOSE system ($1,400) might be an option, but I'm a pretty serious audiophile. Is the BOSE system not much better than the stock system that comes with the Infotainment Package? If so, than I could nix that and swap it for the PASM ($1,790) and just forgo the PTV. Sounds like you guys are saying the PTV is worthless, but I'm not sure how because without it the Boxster doesn't have a limited slip diff, right? I've driven cars with and without a LSD and it makes a huge difference for me with it.

And you mention that it doesn't make a difference unless I plan on tracking the car. I'll probably never drive it on a track, but the fact is that I drive on the street like it's a track all the time so what's the difference?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kelderek
PASM is the one that is instantly noticable.
As sfo says above, it lowers the car 10 mm, makes it look better. Compared to stock suspension, it also gets more comfortable in Normal mode and stiffer in Sport mode, so it gives you nice options to play with.
Honestly, the look of a lowered car doesn't appeal to me as much as it does to most. And I'm not sure I'd want a Normal and Sport option to choose from all of the time. Is there actually a Normal button and a different button for Sport or is PASM on all the time and just reacts in 1/1000th of a second or something like that to your driving and will auto put it into Sport or Normal for you?

I'm guessing that the stock suspension has to be insanely good by itself though, right?

Did anyone drive a 2013 with the PASM and one without and can share their thoughts?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

OOOK! I think I've got it figured out. Going to forgo the PASM and PTV, but get all of the other stuff. Also, ditched the red carrera interior in favor of beige. Love how the red looks, but it's an additional $2K on the price tag.

Got it down to $71,870, which will result in a monthly lease payment of $856 excluding tax w/zero down for 36 months @ 5K miles/year (I only average 4,500 miles/year). I've got $18,500 in cash ready to go so I'm just going to drop that into a new bank account and have PFS pull the payment each month out of there as I transfer in $400 every month. So for $400/month (as far as my effective monthly expense goes) I'll have my dream car.

That's the plan at least!

Only thing that sucks is that the MF is 0.00200, which is crazy high considering the 0.00120 MF on the Porsche Panamera. That difference in MF accounts for about $100/month on the payment! Perhaps I'll get lucky and the MF will go down by the time I take delivery?

What do you guys think of the spec?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BoxsterHopeful
I tried and failed miserably. The lowest spec I managed to configure on an S was $90K.
OK, I tried spec'ing an S just for the fun of it and I've gotten it down to $79K flat and would still be happy with it with those options. That's still $7K more than the non-S AND the S has a -2 point lower residual than the non-S so not sure it's worth it because it comes to about $250/month more on the lease.

Something about a car lease that's under $950/month that makes me okay with it. Breaking the $1,000/month mark and I have to start to question if I'm acting responsibility. Hopefully in a couple years when my bank balance is a lot bigger, I'll feel that way about $2,000/month instead of $1,000.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

PASM and PTV are a must if you intend to track your car. Based on your option list, you are leaning more to a GT oriented car so I think you could live without them, especially since you stated that the lowered look isn't important to you. I doubt that you would notice much of a differance in handling with or without PASM on the street.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 AM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast1
PASM and PTV are a must if you intend to track your car. Based on your option list, you are leaning more to a GT oriented car so I think you could live without them, especially since you stated that the lowered look isn't important to you. I doubt that you would notice much of a differance in handling with or without PASM on the street.
What's the difference between the track and the street? I drive like I'm on a track even when I'm pulling into a driveway. Two speeds: stop and go. And when taking exit/entry ramps, I always look at the recommended speed and double it.

You're perceptive though in noticing that I've spec'd it more to be a GT car. Reason for that is from what I've read the Boxster is insanely capable just in its base configuration. What I'm used to is a BMW 3 series and as long as this wipes the pavement with one, I'll be as happy as a pig in slop.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Track and street is a whole world apart, how ever hard you driveon the road.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono or PASM + PTV on 2013 Boxster?