Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default PSE question

Was doing some window shopping on the Carnewal site and saw this explanation regarding the 987 sport exhaust and the remote control switch that can be integrated into the factory unit.

"The PSE on the P97, P87 and GT3's needs to be activated every time you start the car by pushing the "Sport" and/or "PSE" button.
And even if you have decided to set the PSE in the loud setting, the DME will always switch the PSE to silent between 45 and 75km/h.
On most cars, it's also not possible to have the PSE on when the Sport setting is switched off."

If my math is correct, this means that even when you have the sport button depressed it switches back to the regular mode between 28mph and 46mph, and then the louder sport mode kicks in above 46mph? Maybe someone who has pse on their Spyder or '11/'12 987 can chime in...thanks.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Dave that is a good question.

My Spyder does seem to quiet when the RPM's drop but the minute it goes past 3000 RPM it sounds incredible again. I always thought it was related to the amount of exhaust flowing through that made the difference. I would be really curious to know if PSE is off at certain speeds.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No speed control on the 987 PSE. Sport button does not activate PSE.

The PSE button is the only control and the PSE defaults to 'off' when ignition is turned off.

BD
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

I meant to say sport exhaust button.

Anyhow, this seems like a nice option to have and eliminate the need to depress a switch to engage the sport exhaust mode every time you start the car.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97084.htm
Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Supposedly on 987.1 cars, PSE does turn off between 25 and 50mph. But to be honest, if you are really flooring it, its hard to discern that its off. Some owners that want PSE on all the time have disabled the valve that shuts it off (I hear its quite easy to make that change).

I was under the impression that on 987.2 cars, the PSE can stay on all the time (although I don't know if it reverts to off mode when the car is turned off).
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

As I understand it, on 987.2 cars, the switch will always default to off after shut-down.

As for the cut-out. I'm under the impression that it doesn't cut-out if you accelerate through the cut-out speed range, but will revert to quiet if you back off of the accelerator inside of this range.

I'll be installing a PSE sometime next week (I hope) so I'll be able to report back more concretely
Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wonder if Gert ever checks in on this forum...
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
As I understand it, on 987.2 cars, the switch will always default to off after shut-down.

As for the cut-out. I'm under the impression that it doesn't cut-out if you accelerate through the cut-out speed range, but will revert to quiet if you back off of the accelerator inside of this range.

I'll be installing a PSE sometime next week (I hope) so I'll be able to report back more concretely
Yes PSE shuts off as soon as you shut the engine off, you need to turn it on manually when you start the engine.

As far as the cut out, I have observed exactly what you describe. It's relatively quiet at certain speeds except when your accelerating. I haven't really paid attention enough to determine at what speeds it cuts out.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave I
Was doing some window shopping on the Carnewal site and saw this explanation regarding the 987 sport exhaust and the remote control switch that can be integrated into the factory unit.

"The PSE on the P97, P87 and GT3's needs to be activated every time you start the car by pushing the "Sport" and/or "PSE" button.
And even if you have decided to set the PSE in the loud setting, the DME will always switch the PSE to silent between 45 and 75km/h.
On most cars, it's also not possible to have the PSE on when the Sport setting is switched off."

If my math is correct, this means that even when you have the sport button depressed it switches back to the regular mode between 28mph and 46mph, and then the louder sport mode kicks in above 46mph? Maybe someone who has pse on their Spyder or '11/'12 987 can chime in...thanks.
has anyone installed this system with remote:

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p87022.htm

it's about $2100 usd plus shipping and it looks like you can install yourself (i have a lift) so anyway I can save $$$ over dealer that would be great.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Speed MPH cut off is on certain European Cars due to Country laws. Does not apply to the USA.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I got my 981 with PSE and don't notice a difference when going down a steep residential hill at around 25 MPH. I switch between off and on and no difference. Where I do notice the PSE is when manually down shifting, there is a nice blat as the RPM sync to match the speed. Anyone else have comments on it?? I thought there would be a noticeable difference at slower speeds.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my 987.2S the PSE and Sport buttons are independent. They both revert to off when you switch off the car. The PSE does in fact quiet the exhaust at certain times - I think it is RPM related vs speed (or maybe both). It seems to go quiet around 2700-2900 RPM where it is prone to droning. I think if you put your foot down, it may not do this. I've had PSE on other 911s and disconnected the valve so it was always loud. The system definitely gets boomy around 2800 RPM so I think that's Porsche's way of overcoming the droning characteristics.

On my new 981S, the PSE is activated by pressing the Sport button (but you can turn if off with its own button). I think it also closes the valve around 2800 RPM.

Last edited by Ray G; 09-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I got my 981 with PSE and don't notice a difference when going down a steep residential hill at around 25 MPH. I switch between off and on and no difference. Where I do notice the PSE is when manually down shifting, there is a nice blat as the RPM sync to match the speed. Anyone else have comments on it?? I thought there would be a noticeable difference at slower speeds.
I'm pretty sure that you have to step on the gas (at least harder than you're doing) for PSE to increase in sound.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 78 Posts

My PSE doesn't automatically shut off at any speed or RPM. It comes on when I press the button and shuts off when I press the button again or turn off the ignition.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

For me it's all thru the button only. If I turn off the car with the PSE engaged, it automatically turns off when I return to start the car. I can hear it manually disengage upon ignition. it's quite annoying. I'm thinking about disengaging it to leave it on 100% like my two other previous Spyders (thou they never had the button as I installed PSE after the fact).

Quick Reply: PSE question