Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Tire Tread Wear Pattern

Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Let me know when it's installed. I'll stop by to take a listen. As far as the tires go, I guess the debate is to save on buying your set, or trying out the MPSS which supposedly last longer and grip better...
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Let me know when it's installed. I'll stop by to take a listen. As far as the tires go, I guess the debate is to save on buying your set, or trying out the MPSS which supposedly last longer and grip better...
Will do.

I totally understand. On Tirerack the MPSSs (in our sizes) are several hundred dollars cheaper and promise better traction and life than the PS2s. I just hate to see the PS2s go to waste.

We're putting MPSSs on the wife's Boxster S tomorrow (along with the Tarmacs). I'll know more after this weekend.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I have PS2's on the front of my 3.6 Boxster& Super Sports on the rear. My wifes car has the reverse setup & we both have survived unscathed so far!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I have PS2's on the front of my 3.6 Boxster& Super Sports on the rear. My wifes car has the reverse setup & we both have survived unscathed so far!
The treadwear issue is only a problem for those who track their cars. The stock alignment is perfectly fine for street driving and outer edge tire wear should not be a problem.

Wait.... 3.6 boxster?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Joe,
If you go to Sharkwerks to hear the car, you can take a look at the tires, too. If you like them, make me an offer.

BTW, I like the PSSs on my wife's Boxster S (w/030), but they feel a little softer in the sidewall than the other tires she's had on the car. I'll have to see what they are like with some more miles on them. They may be a case where I'd want the N-rating.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ugh, decisions. The front of my PS2s are pretty much gone, but the rears look OK. It would make sense for me to get the PS2s off you, BUT the local PCA has organized a group buy with a good discount on MPSSs.... I'll take a look, but I may confuse myself even more... I'll let you know.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Ugh, decisions. The front of my PS2s are pretty much gone, but the rears look OK. It would make sense for me to get the PS2s off you, BUT the local PCA has organized a group buy with a good discount on MPSSs.... I'll take a look, but I may confuse myself even more... I'll let you know.
No problem, either way; I just don't want to bring the PS2s back to SoCal...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

The treadwear issue is only a problem for those who track their cars. The stock alignment is perfectly fine for street driving and outer edge tire wear should not be a problem.

Wait.... 3.6 boxster?
I track both cars & raise tire pressure to minimize outer edge wear. I sleeved engine for 3.6 litres.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Very nice! It must be a blast to drive with the extra power.

Thanks for the tip on raising tire pressures to minimize outer edge wear. What kind of hot pressures do you run/suggest?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Very nice! It must be a blast to drive with the extra power.

Thanks for the tip on raising tire pressures to minimize outer edge wear. What kind of hot pressures do you run/suggest?
It is a blast & even nicer is how much more relaxing it is to drive around town with 40 lb/ft more torque. To even out treadwear while tracking I start @ 38 psi front & 42 psi rear then adjust from there with laser pyrometer & prevent rollover to outer edge wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Tire Tread Wear Pattern